News: USMNT roster for Mexico, T&T World Cup qualifiers released

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by deuteronomy, May 28, 2017.

1. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's see if Pareja calls back Hedges. If not then FCD's situation is worse with Zimmerman injured and Hedges called up.

2. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    He really could have right?

has something like this occurred before? A club manager personally requesting a NT manager to leave a player out?

3. salvikicks

salvikicks Member+

Mar 6, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly I don't know, haven't heard anything from the staff.

4. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would guess he'd query the coach and ask if he's going get cut as there three too many. If so then would you mind releasing him now, pretty please?

Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  5. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He can always be brought back to either qualifier.

deuteronomy repped this.
  6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    This mostly creates a problem for the NT, but I assume Arena doesn't recognize it. This is an area where I'll give Klinsmann credit. He tried to phase Besler out, and then recognized he was his best defender, therefore he couldn't do so, despite trying many times. Arena seems to think like 4 or 5 CB's are better lol. The margins are thin for a team that struggles with putting 11 good players on the field, can't be making such poor personnel decisions.

Vermes evidently doesn't care about his player's NT future. He's just an asshole, only cares about himself, tries to cross the line all the time on many different things.

CU soccer repped this.
  7. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Besler is a known quantity so his appearing in these friendlies isn't nearly as crucial as Hedges's.

Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    No one needs to play in these friendlies. The point is that Arena releasing him essentially means he's not going to play either of the two WCQ's, which is bad for the NT.

9. USSoccerNova

USSoccerNova Member+

Sep 28, 2005
    Regarding Besler, wasn't the point of training in Colorado and playing games in Salt Lake City and Denver to acclimatize to the high elevation of Estadio Azteca?

Here are the relevant elevations for the upcoming training and games:

Colorado Springs (UCCS): 6,035'
    Rio Tinto Stadium: 4,500'
    Dick's Sporting Goods Stadium: - 5,200'
    Estadio Azteca: 7,200'

And here is the elevation he'll spend a day or two at instead:

Children's Mercy Park: 909'

Who knows if it'll make a significant difference, but I can't imagine it's optimal.

I also checked every qualifying campaign going back to 2002, and though likely a coincidence and/or attributable to our improving player pool, the only time we didn't lose was in 2013 when Mexico had to play at Honduras (272') four days prior to their game with us. In every other instance, they either had a significant break before the game or had a home qualifier at Azteca beforehand and thus probably had more training time at elevation. This year they play Honduras at home before our game, so I guess we'll see how it goes.

thedukeofsoccer repped this.
  10. Deep Wilcox

Deep Wilcox BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Klinnsmann didn't really have a tight grip on US talent, so I am sure Arena felt the need to get the MOF types swapped out. But generally the starters are pretty close.

But now, the starters have instruction and a system. That's good.

11. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arena did have MOF on his first WCQ roster and MOF did end the season injured so, ...

12. Deep Wilcox

Deep Wilcox BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And having seen that show, Bruce Arena decided he didn't need his services going forward. All coaches have blind spots WRT players. Remember Arena with Richie Williams in his earlier coaching stint? But JK was Ray Charles looking for a black cat that wasn't there, in a pitch black room. His blind spots were just endless.

13. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The case for Kellyn Acosta . . .

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/06/01/will-parchman-why-kellyn-acosta-can-and-should-start-usmnt

In its current construct, the US’s tactical game plan desperately needs Bradley’s partner to be a reliable connective tendon between its No. 6 and the attack. Whatever Bradley’s box-to-box role with Toronto FC, he’s settled into the defensive hole under Arena, meaning his partner determines – to an exceedingly high degree – how the US plays. Arena’s run a nominal 4-4-2 in the last two qualifiers. It risks becoming an empty bucket with another holder and another mutant formation entirely with a wanderer like Jones.

Acosta has the ability to become a true No. 8 on the international stage in a way no other player in the immediate senior team pool can. He can pinion opposing attacks alongside Bradley, which is important, but he’s also come into his own in 2017 as a surprising attacking cog in FC Dallas’ scheme.

Look at this seeing-eye pass he pulled off in FCD’s recent scoreless draw against the Houston Dynamo. Mauro Diaz’s extended injury layoff forced Acosta into more of an attacking role of late, which further diversified his skill set.

This sort of vision is not normal:

868996720784547840 is not a valid tweet id

Mr Martin repped this.
  14. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You just made that up. You have no evidence to support that statement.

Orozo was injured in Bruce's March WCQ camp and was sent home along with Brooks, Morris, and of course Lletget. Orozco also ended the season injured at TJ and so was not called into this camp.

15. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't Besler just hop on the plane after tomorrow's game? He's already been in camp and he'd just be missing a friendly.

jnielsen repped this.
  16. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    #241 IndividualEleven, Jun 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
    He was undersized and overmatched by Kenwynne Jones the last time the two faced off. The Azteca match would make for a likelier Besler appearance, for which a CB shouldn't need significant lead-in time and training.

17. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure he can. Who knows what Arena's plan is for the friendly tonight then the two qualifiers. Could well be that he isn't planning on using Besler anyway. Could be that he saw enough in training that he was fine letting him go back for one MLS match and then return for the qualifiers. Most lineups I have seen suggested didn't have him playing tonight anyway.

18. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Interesting that Nagbe isn't in the conversation.

20. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure that I remember Arena saying that he views Nagbe as a left winger, not a central midfielder. Or was it the inverse? I feel like he said that just days after someone released a study on Nagbe's numbers on the right, left and middle which showed him being far more effective on the left.

21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yes.................................

But as far as I'm concerned he can stay in KC. Adios and thanks for the memories. We can replace him with somebody younger from now on.

We still have Cameron, Brooks, Gonzalez, Hedges, and Ream for these upcoming WCQers.

And from here on out will go with a younger crew like Zimmerman, Miazga, Carter-Vickers and company to fill out rosters to push veterans. And its not gonna be long before the Palmer-Brown, Justen Glad crew follows up.

SKC can take Zusi back as well as far as I'm concerned.

USSoccerNova and Patrick167 repped this.
  22. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    I'd love it!

23. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #248 Sebsasour, Jun 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
    Eh, obviously club play matters but from a national team perspective Matt Besler has been the best center back on the team for the past 4 years IMO. I agree with our young center back talent, his window is going to close quicker than a lot of other players, but I see no need to phase him out pre Russia.

24. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I think Besler is a very good MLS CB. Has he ever won defender of the year? I don't think many rate him as one of the best in MLS. He went to the World Cup and started; not many can say that and he should be proud. I doubt he will be at the next World Cup and I agree with Clint that there are many more options that deserve the spot.

25. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Evidence that he was overmatched by Kenwyne Jones? Kenwyne Jones doesn't even start in MLS, there's no reason to be specifically worrying about him. He's only noteworthy because T&T doesn't really have any good players. Lets worry about getting our best 11 on the field, of which Besler is certainly one of them.