USMNT Player of the Year - The 3 finalists

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by TimB4Last, Sep 5, 2007.

1. inflames

inflames New Member

Sep 13, 2007
    yeah lots of quality sides he scored on this year
    all those World Class defenders at the Gold Cup really makes his achievement memorable
    wonder why he didnt score in 06, oh yeah Italy, Czech Rep and Ghana were a few of the opponents
    Mexico is the best national team hes ever scored on, a pk he didnt earn this year and a lucky bounce off the ref that left the Mexican defense in a bad spot

and he still only has 4 goals ever out of US soil for the Nats

2. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotta love THIS line: "At the Gold Cup, Donovan stood out. He scored four goals -- all from the penalty spot ....... " So wait, he stood out by making pks and nothing else? Another poor selection. Tim should have won it, just like Boca should have won it one of the years Donovan won and Beasley should have won it another year that LD won. I have always been a staunch supporter of Donovan at the national team level, but the USMNT player of the year awards that he has received have been shady to say the least. Sure, he has been the most consistent performer (don't laugh), but the award should be given on the merits of THAT PARTICULAR YEAR, and shouldn't be awarded in a skewed way towards overall national team achievement and/or popularity (don't laugh again, because the non-diehards love him), which I think is what happens.

3. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not just about scoring goals.

Donovan has consistently been among the top performers, if not the top performer, game in and game out this year. On any given game, one player - one player - MAY be rated higher, but then in the next game they're awful. Donovan has consistently this year performed well in every game he's played, doing what's necessary to try to get us a win, which includes playing strong defense, playing smart with the ball, setting up scoring opportunities, scoring himself.

I have a feeling that if Donovan played his club ball in Europe, all else being the same - i.e., playing his Nats games exactly how he's played them this year - people would be saying "well done, Landon, you earned this award."

4. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Landon Donovan? Are you ********ing kidding me??

5. SuperGambi

SuperGambi New Member

Jan 30, 2001
    Dallas
    I have a feeling that if Landon ever had the stones to play against Euro competition, we'd all be saying that, too.

But the facts of the matter are than Landon came back from Germany TWICE with his tail between his legs. He can't step up and he knows it. When he faces REAL competition, he's non-existent.

Oh, and how 'bout those open sitters he missed in the Gold Cup? POY material, indeed.

And he's certain done much for the Galaxy's fine run this season.

Meantime, Clint Dempsey is saving his club from relegation and tying Chelsea.

6. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    outside of Ecuador, what non-Concacaf team has he been the top performer?? personally i feel everyone is hugging on his nuts... he's quite the goal scorer, against weaker teams and mexico... i have nothing against LD, but i still claim he's either hit or miss with his game...

Timmy H shows up to every game.... shouldve won, hands down