USMNT Injury Tracker

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Eleven Bravo, Nov 3, 2019.

1. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Updated

So who is definitively out for March?

- Weah
    - miazga
    - arriola
    - bradley
    - servania

likely out

- Steffen
    - Holmes

potentially out

- Pulisic
    - adams
    - ARobinson
    - pomykal

jnielsen repped this.
  2. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some of these guys need to just cruise around for a while before shifting to top gear and blowing out another tire. When Tom Brady retire the US needs to hire him as a fitness guru.

eric_appleby repped this.
  3. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    I'd guess, if Pomykal is healthy, he'll be with the Olympic squad.

gogorath repped this.
  4. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    Given the amount of time he's already lost to injury, I really doubt Liepzig (sp?) are going to let Adams free for a friendly just as he recovers from the calf.

eric_appleby and Mahtzo1 repped this.
  5. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I don’t think they have a choice if he’s healthy. It’s in Europe - my guess is that at a minimum he’ll be with the team in light training. Not sure if the USMNT team doctors are coming over (I doubt it) but would be nice to get another medical opinion.

6. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    #&#&*$*(@ !

When you list it like that, I can't actually write any of the words that immediately jump into mind.

Just reminds me why every single time I discuss this seeming golden generation coming up, I always add the caveat "Assuming they can stay healthy and can continue to improve over time on a reasonable development curve".

Reminds me of my redskins finally firing their medical staff after a gazillion injuries, surgical issues w/numerous players, and even a misdiagnosis causing a player to quit the team for a season because of it's potential life threatening nature. Only problem here is the injuries are sprinkled across numerous leagues and teams. There's no core staff to blame, it's just monstrously bad luck.

7. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    is there any confirmation of an injury to robinson whatsoever? he "failed" his physical on a technicality (not having time to run whatever test). he played right up to the point the deal, err, seemingly went through. did he trip and sprain an ankle stepping off the jet? is there any reason to think hes injured other than hes not played?

unless someones said something- which i def havent seen- you can just as easily speculate that he walked out the door for the plane to milan saying "i was always too good for you b******, suck it, wigan!"

8. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC

50/50 Ball and rgli13 repped this.
  9. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Add Arriola to the list.

10. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    we should start tracking who isnt injured instead

jnielsen and Magikfute repped this.
  11. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    lovitz and trapp!

12. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Life without our injury prone players: Brooks, Miazga, Antonee, Miles, Adams, Weah, Pulisic, Arriola, Steffen, Pomykal, Holmes, Servania, Altidore

GK Guzan, Johnson, Hamid
    RB Yedlin, Cannon
    CB Long, McKenzie/Opara
    CB Alvarado, Zimmerman
    LB Dest, Vines
    M6 Morales, Yuiell/Otasowie/Durkin
    M8 McKennie, Aaronson
    10 Reyna, Lletget
    RW Chandler, Boyd/De la Fuente
    FW Sargent, Zardes/Ferreira
    LW Morris, Llanez/Vassilev

We may have a good team if we could keep people healthy and in-form, but the truth is that the bulk of our team - at least our best XI are extremely injury prone.

13. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Brooks is injured?

14. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    only a matter of time.

15. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    Perhaps he actually aggravated his groin as he was walking out the door while grabbing his privates and yelling

16. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the thing that I’d add to this that doesn’t make sense to me... most of these guys are million dollar athletes.

I’m thinking, if I’m an owner, I’m enforcing my players to do rehabilitative exercises (I.e. yoga, swimming, etc.) and physical therapy to correct joint instability and weak muscle groups. Add to that - having a staff cook to give every player every meal they’re going to eat throughout the season, and fine any player who consumes any processed foods, fried foods, sugar, or alcohol.

Pegasus and TimB4Last repped this.
  17. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Agree that it doesn't make sense on several levels:

1) The RE-injuries. Adams gets hurt, comes back, makes it worse, mysterious foot injury - out for many, many months - comes back, out re-injured (we hope not too seriously). Weah, tears a hamstring, out six months, comes back, immediately tears the other one. Pulisic, injured, returns to training and makes it worse, still out indefinitely.

Returning to play post-injury should be pretty well understood. Take Weah. In my imagination, it's a chilly, wet day in France. He's finally back after six months. I want to get him 10 minutes at the end of the game. I'm telling him to stay in the locker room at halftime and ride the stationary bike for 30 minutes, stretch out, jog around a bit and sub in. My final words of advice are -"Tim, if I see you running faster than half-speed, I'm pulling you off." Instead, he sprints and tears his other hamstring.

2) The professional conditioning. Don't these guys know that flexibility is as important as strength? And, yes, get in the pool, it's low-impact. And again, you would think that some of these injuries are so common that the rehab program (and timeline) would be universal and effective.

3) The base level. I'm not even sure that's the right word for it. I feel some of our players might go to Europe in fantastic shape, but not the 'right' shape. Could there be something that we're missing in training, perhaps even in the early years? Is cross-training helpful or harmful? I feel the science of stretching has advanced greatly, but has that knowledge trickled down?

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  18. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks good outside of CB. Brooks should be starting... and while he has struggled mightily in the past due to injuries he is healthy right now. I would sit Long as he is just starting the season and at least Alvarado has had the LM reps. Furthermore, since the upcoming friendlies are in Europe I think I would invite Richards as a backup CB and perhaps Gloster as a backup LB. Lastly, not sure Boyd even belongs anymore. Yes, he is on a terrible team... but when he has been on the pitch he has been poor this season. Maybe we don't need another winger?... Perhaps we just call Richie in? We could always use Weston as a winger if we had to.

19. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW... BostonRed just posted that Brooks was awarded MOTM honors for their 4-0 win against Mainz. Pretty awesome considering that Steffen scored a brace. Brooks may have trouble defending against quick dribblers but he is still the best we have at CB.

20. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #170 Eleven Bravo, Feb 25, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    Excellent points...

I’d add that joint instability and muscular imbalances as a culprit of many injuries. Working out smart is learning to work out the gluteus medius, tibialis anterior, and so forth. It can’t all be just deadlifts, bench press, squats, and sprints. Sometimes the non-sexy workouts are the best to improve performance.

Also, what about measuring their gait? Do they have the right shoes? Etc.

And nutrition... are they eating all these inflammatory foods?

Something is out of whack, obviously, when there are so many of these non-impact injuries. A 19 year should be able to function without so many of these problems.

Where are the pre-performance assessments on these players? A good PT can spot if there is going to be a problem area and can help provide preventative program.

More so, while it’s true that there will always be freak occurrences... players will have injuries. But it’s absurd to consider that in the past year, our whole team has been on the shelf.

Ultimately, best injury treatment should be preventative! I am doubtful that these players are getting appropriate attention to these physical needs their bodies have. And a wise mind would want us to gain every advantage we could get, and put someone at the helm who can reduce the number of these injuries to our players.

TimB4Last and 50/50 Ball repped this.
  21. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Philadelphia had a lot of guys playing heavy minutes including 3 guys who played every available minute. I’d like to know what they are doing.

22. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Philadelphia had a lot of guys playing heavy minutes including 3 guys who played every available minute. I’d like to know what they are doing.

23. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Agree with everything but the fines. A couple of cheat meals here and there isn’t going to harm them. They are soccer players, not pre contest bodybuilders.

I would argue micro managing to that extent will lead to mental burnout despite the fact they are professional

24. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough. Everything should be considered in balance.

25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    According to this, Pomykal is now back in full training for FCD. No pre-season, so we'll see how available he is for US programs. The article mentions 2-3 weeks before Servania can return to training.
    https://3rddegree.net/fc-dallas-practice-observations-february-25-cutdown

The bad news is Pax's new mustache. Egads.
    [​IMG]

Bajoro repped this.