USMNT Injury Tracker

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Eleven Bravo, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With so many USMNT players injured, and/or returning from injury, we need a way to track these players...

OUT
    Tyler Adams
    Tim Weah
    Paxton Pomykal
    Sebastian Soto
    Miles Robinson
    Jonathan Amon
    Fabian Johnson
    James Sands
    Jozy Altidore

edcrocker, gunnerfan7, btlove and 4 others repped this.
  2. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sands was on the bench during NYFC 10/23 loss to TFC I don’t think he is injured anymore

btlove, Winoman and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  3. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good idea for a thread Bravo... depressing... but a good idea nonetheless.

Question about Paxton... he was in during the final playoff game... did he get hurt again?

Eleven Bravo and btlove repped this.
  4. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    surgery... out approx 6 weeks from what I’ve heard.

glutton4Bolts repped this.
  5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

ChicagoVT, glutton4Bolts and neems repped this.
  6. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess that explains why his form and starts dipped. He was still good just not as good. Hope he can stay healthy for a while now. He's starting to collect quite a few injury problems.

glutton4Bolts repped this.
  7. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty frustrating that another young promising player for the USMNT is struggling with injuries... One has to put him and Adams under a similar lens... a huge part of this game is about being able to stay on the pitch so you can get better and help your team win. Paxton was in and out of the lineup a lot this season and Adams hasn't been seen in nearly a year. <throwing-my-hands-up>

8. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm noticing a lot of our very young pros are having a lot of core and sports hernia injuries/surgeries. Is there some overwork going on here or is there not proper warmups/stretching or other?

TCS35, Eleven Bravo and Winoman repped this.
  9. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ll say this...

When I was a teenager and even in my 20’s, I neglected the importance of recovery, mobility, flexibility, and nutrition. Now, in my 30’s, I’m bearing the burden of that neglect compounded with some significant injuries in my youth.

Point being, in today’s sports, I cannot imagine why a professional organization would not mandate practices that include those four critical components. For instance, players should be doing yoga every day. It may seem like “sissy science” but if it’s effective and prevents injuries, I don’t see why they aren’t doing them. And, I know at the professional environment they’re asking those young bodies to be pushed to the brink, but you would hope that there’s some adults in the room to go, wait a minute, make sure you are giving the appropriate time to improve the longevity of the body.

IASocFan, largegarlic, Pegasus and 2 others repped this.
  10. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tore up my middle back in my late teens while skiing and I suffered for over a decade starting in my 30s... but Yoga changed everything. Flexibility is paramount. It even allowed me to get back into the gym and lift weights like I did in my 20s... I am now approaching 45, playing Soccer weekly, and I am in the best shape of my life.

That being said... We are seeing these types on injuries in a lot of contact sports... and I think it has to do with the tremendous gains in muscular strength and explosiveness and the inability of the tendons to keep up. You can keep them flexible and warm... but you can't get them stronger by lifting weights like you can with muscles. As such, when an athlete makes an extremely explosive movement and the muscle can't compensate then the tendon is all that is left and often it can't hold the movement.

On a related note... I am perfectly aware that soccer players are flexible.... I assume they stretch a ton before they go out on the pitch... but I have found that stretching/yoga after training is just as important. I have to wonder if these players ever stretch after the game.... because they should.

Pegasus, Winoman and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  11. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Steffen - knee (tendinitis)

glutton4Bolts and Dr.Phil repped this.
  12. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow... does it ever end?

13. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    There's a lot of emerging literature that states that early sport specialization results in more of these kinds of injuries. Still early in the analysis phase though.

largegarlic repped this.
  14. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Makes sense. Like the repetitive wrist stuff at work for a lot of folks or I'd guess the old tennis elbow. Obviously robotics is the answer.

15. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    especially at Goalkeeper...

Where we have ONE good option, and then.....

Crap!

16. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Ya know, I think it is only fair to admit that while many of us, myself included, are pretty fed up with Berhalter and Stewart and how they have this team playing, injuries have pretty much devastated an already thin player pool. We're simply not France or Germany or Brazil where when one guy gets hurt we just grab the next big time player on deck. When we lose guys like Adams, Brooks, Pulisic and such to injury, their replacements are far below the standard of our ideal first 11. I'm not sure many coaches could reasonable take a squad like the US with only a handful of top level players, watch most of the key ones get hurt and unavailable more games than not and still have the team kicking on all cylinders. I know it just sounds like an excuse to many, but outside maybe the top 10 or so teams in the world, most squads are in big trouble is their top 2-3 players are all out at once.

I think most everyone on here with a couple exceptions would say that Adams, McKennie and Pulisic are our top three players and they've all been healthy and on the field together for a little over 60 minutes since Berhalter took over. Bringing in guys like Weah and Pomykal has been stopped due to injuries. Add that Brooks has been hurt for most of the games as well and sprinkle in other assorted injuries and this has been a really tough year health wise for the US squad. That's not easy to overcome and this team and how it looks would take on a dramatically different character had we been able to play our top 11 regularly.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  17. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    There's real merit to this but the caveat is that Berhalter has not created a system that puts Adams, McKennie and Pulisic in a position to maximize their abilities. Instead, he's built the team around Bradley/Trapp specifically or the regista broadly (noting that it appears that they're the only two who can man that position so it's effectively the same as building around them) and has actively made McKennie and Pulisic play far worse than they're capable of.

If we were focused on results, the first questions would be:
    1. how do we put Pulisic in the best spots for him?
    2. How do we build around McKennie to accentuate his strengths and offset his developmental areas (which he clearly has)?
    3. How to we build around Brook to accentuate his strengths and offset his developmental areas (which he clearly has)?

"couple of exceptions" - here's looking at you, @Excellency!

18. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    I don't disagree that the system as it has been being played is horrible. My biggest gripe is the soft #6 making our midfield defense horrible and making us predictable going forward. And I agree sticking with the same group of MLS guys from January camp all year is simply bizarre. I just think that soccer is in the end a players game and when half your starting lineup is out injured and you have little quality depth, you really can't say for sure what things look like down the road if we ever get a fully healthy squad.

I mean, just plugging Adams in for Bradley is a big difference maker and since early days and one appearance at right back, Berhalter has said he sees Adams as a central player. Plugging Brooks into the defense is a difference maker, and combined we look a lot more solid centrally when defending with those changes. Dest now in the fold is a big upgrade, a healthy Yedlin changes things. A healthy Weah suddenly means we start having some competition on the wings, maybe enough to play Pulisic centrally and then all of a sudden your midfield looks like Adams, McKennie and Pulisic, significantly better than anything we've been able to roll out and possibly as good a trio as we've ever had in the center of the park.

But we've seen nothing like our best team out there and the backups simply aren't nearly good enough. Thus it is for all but the top nations when injuries hit. Now, we get healthy and Berhalter doesn't make the obvious changes/upgrades in the obvious areas and I'll be screaming bloody murder as well. But, he's honestly never had the chance to play with a full squad and I do look forward to the day all our best can actually be healthy and on the field at once no matter who is coaching them.

rlrcpa and DHC1 repped this.
  19. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Let's hope you're right. I'm of the sad opinion that Berhalter has a goal of 2/3 pool and 50% of minutes played from MLS players. The only exception will be if for players that are major league auto-starters so if Dest, Brooks, yedlin, Morales etc. miss a couple starts, they could be out.

I'll happily eat crow as I've said all year long but I've sadly avoided it so far.

nobody repped this.
  20. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    The positive side of that is, when all our guys get healthy, big league starters will cover most of the field. You've got: Steffan, Dest, Brooks, Yedlin, Pulisic, McKennie, Adams, Sargent, basically only leaves the wings and one center back spot. And you've go a guy like Weah that could likely be another big league starter within a year or so. Once the starting lineup is 9 guys who do in fact start at big league teams, the MLS players will get squeezed out as far as the bulk of minutes in big games, even with such an extreme position on getting called in from Europe.

rlrcpa repped this.
  21. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I hope so too but I'd guess some combination of the following response:

Dest - not a starter!
    Brooks - not a starter and stinks anyway!
    yedlin - stinks and MLS option is clearly better!
    Sargent - not a starter and stinks anyway!
    Weah - not a starter and MLS option is clearly better anyway!

Sorry to be so pessimistic but every time I think I'm pushing the edge, the actual is worse than I could have thought and it's made me salty.

22. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Guys, let's stick with happier topics, like injuries to key players.

jnielsen and SamsArmySam repped this.
  23. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any word on Adams?

24. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    From the horse's mouth ...

jnielsen and Winoman repped this.
  25. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently Weah’s injury had a setback...

Man, I tell you, these injuries, especially to our young core, is killing me.