USMNT golden generation? Why Pulisic, Reyna & Co. are on course to make a run at 2022 World Cup

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by LouisianaViking07/09, Dec 9, 2020.

1. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009

MPNumber9 and IndividualEleven repped this.
  2. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2026 should be our year to go the furthest in the tournament based on players hitting their prime.

LouisZ and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  3. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I'm hoping for Quarters in 2022 and Semi's in 2026.

4. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m excited to see what this group can do.

5. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #5 Paul Berry, Dec 9, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
    Though I'd track Americans' transfermkt valuations. The accuracy doesn't matter as much as the trend.

Potential first X1

Dec 12, 2020
    Pulisic $60M
    Reyna $33M
    Dest $20M
    Adams $16M
    Brooks $10M
    Sargent $9M
    Weah $7.5M
    Steffen $6M
    Musah $5M
    Richards $4M
    Robinson $3.5M
    ---‐----------------------
    Total $174M

Brendon Aaronson is on the site at $10 million but I've left him out until we see how things go at Salzburg. Jordan Morris is listed at $3.5 million.

I did a similar valuation for Wales and came up with $141M, the difference being that Pulisic is valued at $33 million more than Bale.

HartwickFan and Girt repped this.
  6. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Good article, especially with all the background although I do think the 98 team was better than it gets credit for, sometimes the ball just doesn't bounce your way. So much will depend on health and injuries, especially for a team like the US squad that has a top 11 that looks genuinely threatening to just about anyone and a bottom 11 that looks like we'd be back struggling to qualify like in 2018. Those MLS heavy rosters that failed to qualify and struggled throughout 2019? Yeah, our top line gets injured or is unavailable and that's what comes next.

Still, we've got a guy who just scored a stunner against Barcelona for Juve, another guy who is just getting back into the team at Chlesea and has already knocked one in. We've got Gio at BVB who even when being rested is the guy they throw into the game when they fall behind in Champions League, at 18. Dest is right now about the most exciting thing at Barcelona. And I haven't even mentioned Adams or several others. Our top 11 should be very dangerous in 2022. But, we still have significant weaknesses in even our starting 11, beginning with the striker position as well as defense. Some spots can get really ugly fast with a couple injuries or we end up rotating players all over the place to cover the holes.

If everyone keeps progressing and stays healthy, I could absolutely see the US being a big player at the 2026 World Cup, playing at home. For me the key will be whether this is a golden generation right now that will have to do it all or if they are the start of something more long term and will be fortified with another similarly strong generation. If it's the former, we're going to struggle and pray for health. If its the later, we're looking like an emerging force. 2022 still looks precarious to me and we will really need ALL our top guys to be healthy to make any kind of run and a couple injuries can have us looking very mediocre. But, if this current crop is more than a blip on the radar and they are supplemented with a similarly strong youth contingent after the 2022 cup, 2026 could get very interesting for a US team playing at home.

Eleven Bravo and Guinho repped this.
  7. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    World class roster also puts us into contention to be one those teams that flops hard in the group stage. :p

8. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you .Someone had to pull this jinx off us.
    Our weakness today is central defense.
    Brooks is inconsistent Miazga is meh Richards is too young,and the rest...
    MLS meat.Ugh.

sXeWesley repped this.
  9. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    You left out McKennie, who bumps up the value a good bit.

In terms of Transfermarkt best XI value, the USMNT is a good, not great team because our talent is so heavily concentrated in our youth and so lacking in prime age talent, while other teams have more high value prime age players to ensure fewer gaps in the lineup.

If you just go by U-23 talent however, Transfermarkt rates our starting XI as a top 10 international side (using Transfermarkt's default formation setting, but allowing players to line up in their secondary positions and excluding any player above the age of 22):

1. England - $624.8m
    2. France - $605m
    3. Brazil - $352m
    4. Spain - $313.72m
    5. Italy - $311.52m
    6. Portugal - $287.65m
    7. Netherlands - $233.2m
    8. Norway - $198.22m (Erling Haaland is 55% of that)
    9. USA - $197.73m
    10. Germany - $193.38m
    11. Uruguay - $166.07m
    12. Argentina - $165.22m
    13. Belgium - $131.23m
    14. Canada - $126.5m* (Alphonso Davies is 70% of that)
    15. Turkey - $123.97m
    16. Nigeria - $106.37m*
    17. Sweden - $90.31m* (Dejan Kulusevski is 55% of that)
    18. Mali - $73.67m
    19. Russia - $71.5m
    20. Japan - $69.08m*
    21. Senegal - $68.53m*
    22. Austria - $68.09m
    23. Morocco - $66.33m* (Achraf Hakimi is 83% of that)
    24. Serbia - $58.52m*
    25. Ivory Coast - $58.03m
    26. Croatia - $57.2m
    27. Poland - $55.55m
    28. Switzerland - $54.89m
    29. Colombia - $53.13m
    30. Mexico - $47.08m

*A majority of the best XI players on these sides are valued less than the lowest valued field player on the US U-23 roster (Mark McKenzie).

TrueCrew and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  10. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh yeah, McKennie was a typo, thanks.

But the problem with USMNT transfermkt valuation at the moment is that its comprised of tonight's roster.

11. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    That's true, they don't have a handy list for ideal rosters or lineups, so their lists based on each team's most recent roster aren't always very helpful.

I compiled the list above manually however, so it should reflect each team's ideal U-23 lineup.

12. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the moment I'd take Long over Miazga.

CCV's Spurs contact ends in May.

russ repped this.
  13. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well,I mean I forgot Tim Ream too.but that's kinda the point...
    Talent up front but they have to be careful they don't get shredded at the back.

14. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Looks like ESPN stole my idea. Not that I’m surprised.

15. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zach Steffen is starting in the Champions League today.

TrueCrew and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  16. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't be surprised if we underachieve in 2022. First time playing as a "big team" and dealing with teams that will play us cagey. Many players will still be inexperienced in general. 2026 could be a serious run.

sXeWesley and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  17. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    If we get a good group, i bet we can hang with the Best.

MPNumber9 repped this.
  18. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the US will surprise some people. There's going to be a youthful arrogance offset by a little naivite.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  19. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Something from before my time that will work in this thread:

Android Cat repped this.
  20. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The article says the Reyna, McKennie, & Pulisic scoring on the same day was the second time it had happened. Reyna's dad, McBride, and Jermaine Jones in 2005.

Really, this is the best I've felt about the USA since 2009. Before Davies & Holden got hurt. Jozy & Davies up top. Donovan & Dempsey wide. DMB. Bradley, Jones, and Holden central. Tim Howard. Feilhaber. Cherundolo. Hejduk was scoring goals in qualifying.

HartwickFan and IndividualEleven repped this.
  21. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who played in the UCL this week?

McKennie, Steffen, Adams, Dest, Richards and Reyna?

Pulisic, KdlF and Horvarth were unused subs.

Ledezma and Weah in the UEL tomorrow.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  22. Tmagic77

Tmagic77 Member+

Feb 10, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    If the current pool all continue along their optimistic projections into the future, the 2026 team could be a legit dark horse candidate. I think a realistic goal is at least 1 QF in the next two WCs.

Guinho and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  23. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    The advantage we gain in 2026 by hosting and having -- potentially -- more players in their primes may be offset by the expansion of the field. It will be far more difficult winning the expanded WC than it has been to win a 32-team WC. Europe always has two or three quality teams that miss out. So does Africa. There will be some upsets in the group stages and also don't discount Mexico. I mean, who is going to beat Mexico in Mexico? Or, for that matter, who will beat Mexico in the United States? So I think 2022 is just as big of a deal for us as 2026.

24. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    I think winning the WC in 2026 should be a realistic goal if we are healthy and the players we currently have in our pool improve as expected as they get older. It doesn't mean we will win it or it is even likely that we will win it, but goals need to be a challenge and realistic just means it's possible without divine intervention.

25. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we could shock some big teams, but I also think we could be confounded by some well-organized, mid-tier teams like well...past versions of the US. WCQ will give us some idea how that will go. We were a Wondo shank from embarrassing a more naive Belgium in 2014 and we didn't even play particularly well. 4 years later, that same team with more experienced players made a 3rd place finish, defeating Brazil along the way.

LouisianaViking07/09 and gogorath repped this.