USMNT Goes "Old School," Jerseys That Is

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by The Magpie, Nov 15, 2004.

1. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Courtesy of U.S. Soccer: http://www.ussoccer.com/news/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=125963

"RETRO IS IN: The USA goes throw-back Wednesday night, as the team will sport a unique retro jersey for final qualifier against Jamaica. The limited-edition jersey is a replica of the uniform worn by the United States in the 1950 World Cup in Brazil, in which the United States produced one of the greatest upsets in World Cup history, a 1-0 defeat of tournament favorites England..."

Jersey pic below:

[​IMG]

2. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are those elbow length sleeves?

3. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    So Nike was our official supplier in 1950? :cool:

4. warmblooded

warmblooded BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 17, 2004
    Clowntown, USA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait 'til you see the cleats they have to wear... Apparently, Califf loves them.

5. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    These are "replica" jerseys - not "authentics."

I doubt their made of wool either.

6. ZiggyGalaxy

ZiggyGalaxy New Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Weak. They already tried it for the NZ game and and another, I think to warm up for the Confed Cup. Wear the dang Total 90's!

7. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Califf should love wearing any USMNT apparel. :D

8. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    3/4 length sleeves are 1/4 too short for a cold Columbus night.

9. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    does this mean the guys from Old School are going to be at the game?

10. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fo shizzle - streaking too.

11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Am I the only one who likes these jerseys better than our current pool ball look? I'm sorry but the Nike cookie cutter jerseys are awful. At least these have a little personality. A STRIPE!!!! Is there any connection between this night and the movie coming out about the 1950 team? Will any of the 1950 players be at the game? Will there be an exciting video montage at halftime? Actually this team is quite interesting. At the soccer hall of fame in Oneonta there's a section of those guys that any US soccer fan should see.

12. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many freakin times do we need to throw back to 1950?

I can understand once every LONG while, on some kind of anniversary, but isn't this something like the 2nd or 3rd time we've done this in the past 2 years?

13. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    They have done it once. Last year in Richmond. The major problem with that - was that the sash was blue. It was a throwback to a jersey the USMNT never wore.

The idea at that time was to do another game this last summer with a red sash to coincide with the threatrical release of The Game of Their Lives. Unfortunately the movie is looking more and more like a "direct to video" project than anything else at this point, so I suspect the USSF decided to go ahead and use the red sash jerseys now, and sell some of them for x-mas.

14. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yank, you're right, let's cut the nostalgia.

OTOH, if they went to that look PERMANENTLY, I'd be happy. It's clean and classy, and, in time, could become as distinctive as the Argy kits. (I don't like the team, but I think their unis set the standard for Nats.)

15. Hosscat

Hosscat New Member

Jul 21, 2003
    Denver
    The pool ball jerseys suck..... Especially since they're designed exactly the same as so many other team's shirts. Bring on the weird 3/4 sleeve retro jerseys.

16. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of which, I'll be there with my kid. I expect everybody to let him know when he needs to do earmuffs.

17. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    It's amazing what you can do to people's perceptions, inside and outside an organization, with just a few little visual cues -- as long as you do them consistently.

Our friends on Madison Ave. would tell you that if the US consistently wore a classy-looking, old-school kit like this that it would influence the way our players are perceived in just a short time. Even by each other.

I'm all for a permanent change from the pool-ball version. If you saw the move "The Incredibles," that superhero costume designer immediately struck me as the individual who must have been the one behind the current kits.