usmnt friendly in december?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by fidlerre, Oct 7, 2003.

1. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Hmm. USSF must decide what is most important. I think that what they will do with friendlies is schedule them against mostly South American teams - as strong South American teams as possible and perhaps CAF sides too, in preparation for the playing style of their Central American and Carribean counterparts. For some of the much much weaker teams, what I bet the US will emphasize the most is team chemistry. The skill level will be higher than the skill set of a Barbados (hopefully). Qualification for the World Cup of course is most important and I doubt that Bruce Arena and his staff will be complacent just because CONCACAF has an extra half-spot.

Mixing in there will be USSF money makers, in which the USSF will probably try to schedule money against stronger teams from other confeds - preferably UEFA. Hence they would love for Ireland, England, etc. to come. However depending on how Euro 2004 goes, followed up with European qualifying this makes for some very difficult scheduling... unless done in Europe. This may happen - sort of like when they went to Russia, or when they played in Casablanca. I would imagine that in later rounds of qualifying, the USSF will try to get as many friendlies in Europe as possible before 2006 - assuming the US qualify, of course. The track record for success in Europe is poor to say the least.

It will be interesting to see what Bruce Arena's preparation strategy will be for this year since he has a qualification behind him. There are those players that he knows very much about, yet there seem to be other players that may be coming through the ranks that will compete for top honors too.

2. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to ESPNs SportsWizard TV Listings:

ESPN: 01-18-2004 3:30 pm ET to 5:30 pm ET
    USA Mens Soccer vrs Denmark. Home Depot Center, Carson, CA, USA.

LB..

3. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If that's true, then that's the way HDC needs to be used, against pasty white Northern Europeans.

4. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotcha

5. Blue Eyed Soul

Blue Eyed Soul New Member

Jan 22, 2003
    Gilbert, AZ USA
    I like a friendly vs. Denmark...
    12th ranked US vs. 14th ranked Danes.
    Denmark won their EURO 2004 Group, finished top of their group in Japorea (ahead of Uruguay, France, and Senegal, and are a good test for us.
    We should have a staunchly pro-US crowd at The Depot.
    I'm there.
    But, we really need games overseas against tough opponents (Copa America?---Oh, well).
    "Hear my plea,"- From my keyboard to Bruce's ears- "Tougher friendlies make easier competitions".

6. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    The Torneo is an annual event featuring club teams from the Carribean and Central America. It was going on last year around the same time as USA/Canada at Lockhart.

The Torneo is sanctioned by US Soccer. That doesn't mean run by. It's an independent promoter's tourney. The USSF has jurisdiction of all FIFA events in the US, and they must "sanction" all events in the US, or the participants risk being branded outlaws by FIFA. In short, the US gets a check for a percentage of the gate, and the promoter gets to hold his tournament.

7. Brushes Sand

Brushes Sand Member

Oct 12, 2000
    polychronicqatsitime
    No it won't be interesting.

Bruce will do what he did last time.

He will not show his hand until Germany.

Everything until then will be incredibly
    non-experimental, especially after what
    happened at RFK v. Honduras.

And I will enjoy every minute of it.

-bs

8. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
  9. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that Denmark will be a great game. If I remember correctly, they have a long winter break, so the best domestic based players should be available.

10. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct. I believe England is the only "Northern" country that doesn't have a break.

11. ProudNatRN

ProudNatRN Member

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Jun 10, 2002
    Norwalk, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone at MLS Cup today saw a lot of players there signing autographs and chatting with the fans. I had the pleasure of chatting with Eddie Pope and I asked him when he thought the next USMNT game would be. He said he believes the next game will be in January against Denmark. After that nice bit if confirmation from a player who is sure to be included in the squad, it goes without saying that I'm pretty stoked about this game!!! I'M CALLING OUT ALL USMNT FANS IN CALIFORNIA, YOU MUST GO TO THIS GAME AND ROCK THE HDC!!!

12. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Wow this is awesome. Denmark just beat England. If the US beats Denmark, then technically we have beaten Inger-Land :)

13. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001

and since England tied Turkey that means we lost to Latvia. ;)

14. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Someone's math is getting fuzzy! :)
    lol

15. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guys are only interested in us playing Denmark because of the babes.

16. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    If that was the case then wouldn;t we be clamoring to play against Sweden? :D

17. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or Iceland.. Though I think the numbers of female supporters from Iceland at the HDC might be rather limited. :(

18. worldfootballgenius

New York Red Bulls
    United States
    Jul 9, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sasfasdfsdfsd

I think we should play mexico in the Home Depot Center. The men's national team has never played in the HDC, and i think USA vs. Mexico would be a sell-out, and would be a great game. They wouldn't face mexico in the qualifiers would they?

19. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: sasfasdfsdfsd

Only if you want a home game for Mexico with virutally NO US fans getting tickets.

The rumoured Denmark match is supposed to take place there. US-Mexico sold out the 60,000+ seat Reliant Stadium in Houston, I'm sure they could fill up less than 30,000 in Los Angeles.

If we don't face Mexico in the qualifiers, then either they or us have done something terribly wrong.

20. worldfootballgenius

New York Red Bulls
    United States
    Jul 9, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: sasfasdfsdfsd

don't be stupid

21. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: sasfasdfsdfsd

:confused:

I answered all of those questions seriously. No sarcasm or stupidity intended. I don't see how you could think I was trying to be stupid.

22. worldfootballgenius

New York Red Bulls
    United States
    Jul 9, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: sasfasdfsdfsd

of course

23. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: sasfasdfsdfsd

whatever

24. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a feeling this will be a tough one to sellout.
    The ticket prices will be very high and Denmark will not draw with the "casual fan" as a Mexico or Brazil against the USA will, even Germany for that matter.
    The hardcore fans know what a challenging match and a good opponent Denmark will be but our numbers are limited. They better promote the hell out of it.

25. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are there many Danes in LA? I'd like to think we could at least outnumber them even if our numbers are small :D