usmnt friendly in december?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by fidlerre, Oct 7, 2003.

1. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: usmnt friendly in december?

If the LA Times correctly reported Chuck Blazer's comments in its 10/9 story, the "top five" from the last qualifying round won't start until February 18th, meaning we'd play on qualifying dates 3-6 and this may be a friendly.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/socce...6125993.story?coll=la-headlines-sports-soccer

2. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heard from a friend at MLS HQ that it's Germany and Columbia at Lockhart in early January. No confirmation anywhere on the web, though.

3. wcgcapone

wcgcapone Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would Germany's MNT play against a college? Oh, you mean ColOmbia! ;)

4. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do indeed. Sorry about that - I hate it when people do that switch. Careless on my part.

5. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    Both games at Lockhart?

6. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *cringing*

Belgium are so boring to watch. If we were to send one of our lackluster teams, that could be beyond boring.

7. soccerhooligan33

soccerhooligan33 New Member

Oct 31, 2002
    Clifton, VA
    I agree, no Belgium. Romania and Ireland would be my first choices but in terms of WC preparation Poland, SAM, Finland are the styles that maybe we should look at a little more. When is Euro2004 Playoffs?

8. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Greece would make for an interesting and good friendly opponent.

9. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to see us play Greece. They won their Euro 2004 qualifying group and gave England a heck of a scare in the last game of WC Qualifying. Play them in Chicago and we could make some nice coin off of it too.

10. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    november 15th and 19th

11. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Fine with me, they' d have a home game in NY.

12. ussoccer1001

ussoccer1001 New Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    I would love to play England but I doubt that will happen.

I hope we can schedule a strong non-CONCACAF team considering we will be playing them in WCQ.

Maybe Uruguay, Argentina, or Brazil, if European teams are out.

13. hilmer

hilmer New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    Houston
    Most EUFA or COMENBOL teams will give us a run for our money (good thing) CONCACAF only Mexico. Bottom line is we need serious teams to improve on our quality of play. I would love a game with the Orange Machine (Holland) or revenge against Brazil.

14. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or........ say............ Melbourne. :)

USA versus Australia at the MCG. Sounds pretty inviting...

However, the travel to this part of the world and getting players together, for both teams, might be a bit of a challenge.

15. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Makes sense, though, when you think about the trend in recent years of the USA having January friendlies in warm-weather venues, such as in Florida and California.

16. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    I agree that having places like Florida and California is a perfect excuse to host a friendly. Think about this: Germany, and a number of other leagues, have a 4 week window during the december/january time frame when they aren't playing league games.

Why not have a bundesliga-only German side against an MLS-only US side in Florida (where there are Americans, obviously, and a lot of German tourists in Jan/Feb)? Okay, we played Germany twice last year (wc, rostock friendly), but there are other leagues like this.

The downer would be that a number of the MLS guys would be rusty, but it would also give us a chance to play an MLS-heavy lineup, one we might see again when qualifiers come around and we can't get all of our Euro players over for them.

I don't honestly see a downside. Play Hungary in California. Play the Czechs in Phoenix. Something, but get a game done. No reason not to. Give young guys (Martino, Clark, Buddle, EJ, whoever) a chance at a senior camp and some time in front of the nat head coach, get them some time against a Euro side...why not?

17. hilmer

hilmer New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    Houston
    I,m the first to admit that the MLS has come a long ways, but we are not (as a league ) up to par with European teams. What most peaple seem to forget is that the majority of our national team is composed of players that do or have at one point played in Europe. ANY MLS team would get slaughterd if we were to play a big boy like Man Utd., Real Madrid or even Gala from Turkey. We are still lacking in experience.

18. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Kevin Etzel

Kevin Etzel Member

Jul 18, 2000
    New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have read (can't confirm) that the USA team won't play in qualification until Feb 18th. I am anxious to hear of any friendly before qualifiction.

20. eldiablito

eldiablito New Member

Jun 8, 2000
    in Sagy's shadow
    I hate to be a voice of reason here, but what benefit is it to have youngbloods in a friendly against a team like Germany (or even Greece, Romania, or Ireland).

As great as it would be to see a friendly against quality competition, I can't see it as necessary in order to prepare a largely B- team against the likes of the Dominican Republic or Turks and Caicos.

I'm sure there will be a friendly to prepare them, but I'd expect it to be against El Salvador or Canada or some other dreadful CONCACAF side--a side that would mirror our imminent competition.

21. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've seen that on the site for awhile. It very well could be an event sanctioned by US Soccer but run by a promoter that will bring in South American/Central American/Caribbean teams for a round-robin. The fact thatthis is at the Orange Bowl, and not Lockhart, also makes me think it's a typical "let's make some money off the ex-pats" event.

22. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ain't no shame in that game. If we can use other teams to line our federation's coffers, I have zero problem with it.

23. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Concur.

24. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I remember correctly, this a a yearly tournament with club teams from around the South American/Central American/Caribbean. It will be mostly HIspanic in the teams invited and I would be shocked if any US teams were invited.

Switzerland who recently won their qualfying group has a 6 week break in their schedule for a winter break. Most of the first-team players play in Switzerland with the exception of a defender at Liverpool, a midfielder at Marseilles and a striker at Rennes. It should not be too difficult to get them to come over and spend some time in the sun. Most of the Swiss league teams spend the last three weeks away somewhere warm anyway. Last year, two spent time in Morroco, and one was in Mexico. They would give the US a good game.

25. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But what I was pointing out is two US Soccer sanction events playing in close proximity, or rather the likelyness of that not happening.