usmnt friendly in december?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by fidlerre, Oct 7, 2003.

1. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    brian mcbride was on the radio here in columbus the other day...

one of the dj's is a pretty big soccer fan and had some good questions for him, unlike the crap he usually gets around here when he is interviewed, and one of them was if there were going to be any friendlies upcoming for the mens national team.

he mentioned there were some rumors going around the national team circles of a early-mid december friendly, anyone heard anything about this or the possible opponent?

2. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No i haven't, but that would be absolutely wonderful. The US needs a couple of friendlies before qualifying starts so that we can try out a few of these guys like Buddle, Ricardo Clark, Twellman and some other guys who really deserve a shot (maybe even Gaven at 17).

3. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    It would make sense to have one. MLS season would be over as would the U20 WC, I think we could just pull our roster from those two teams. You figure they would get together, play the game, break for Christmas and get back together in early January to prep for the WCQ match.

4. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    i vote for england - it'd give us a chance to stuff some crow in the face of those F365 trolls

5. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It will be insane if they don't have one. WCQs start in January. A friendly is a necessity since the team won't have played since the Gold Cup.

6. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    International fixtures should, whenever possible, be scheduled to help resolve message board conflicts.

7. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The EPL doesn't take much of a winter break, and there's a good chance that England will be in the November playoffs. :) ;) There probably won't be much interest from many Euro sides.

8. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

that was funny as hell... but what i actually meant by 'us' was BS posters

9. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Germany does take a winter break, and I think we might be able to convince them to spend a week in Miami for a friendly in early January.

England, as mentioned with the full season, Champions league in November, Euro qualifiers and the various FA stuff, won't have time on the calendar.

How about Yugoslavia? Or throw a bone to one of the "coalition of the willing" allies like Hungary?

10. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Serbia & Montenegro now. And yes, they'd be an excellent choice. Bulgaria wouldn't be bad either.

11. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    And for whomever provides text-commentary, "SAM" is the prefered abbreviation, tempting though "S & M" may be.

Let's see: I think it will have to be either a European team, or a CONCACAF team not in our first round group, since I assume that a South American team will be too worried about their own. But if it's a European team that isn't playing in Euro 2004, you can pretty much write off the chance of playing against any big stars, as it will probably be rebuilding time for them (and I don't think any team that qualified will really want to take a chance on what to them would be a meaningless friendly). So while we'll really need a game there, it's going to be tough to find a terrific opponent.

An African opponent might be fun, but I have no idea what their schedules are like, nor how they would be able to get their best players away from club duty in Europe. It occurs to me that Japan or S. Korea might be available, however...

12. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

or the US could travel to... say... hamburg

13. bilmalk7

bilmalk7 New Member

Nov 29, 2001
    Eastern Pennsylvania
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    there will be some re-shuffling as a result of the USWNT stumbling; the venues and dates now open up. yeah we need maybe two or three friendlies, but i think we get one on the left coast. btw..go arnold!

14. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would like to see our Nats go on a continental tour ( Europe/S.America), playing games here at home is cute, but this guys need to play more games away from home.

15. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    belgium? france? any number of south american countries? would love to get australia up here

16. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, I just assume skip Australia. Not because they aren't good, but precisely because of that. We don't need to lose to an Oceania team :D

17. Simon Birch

Simon Birch New Member

Aug 4, 2003
    With McOwen's Monkey
    Would love to see Germany and Russia this January in Florida, and maybe a side like Peru or Urugauy this fall. Having at least one South American side would be nice before WCQ's and playing two tough Euro sides while their domestic league is on break would be good.

18. atorres4

atorres4 Member

Sep 17, 2002
    CAL: orange county
    italy

my brother heard on telemundo that we were playing italy in a friendly...but who knows...that would be nice though :)

19. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    Re: italy

that's the women, in KC later this month

20. old boy

old boy New Member

Jul 8, 2003
    Maine
    The other CONCACAF sides will be looking to get together their teams in preparation too and Arena will want to play against a team or teams with similar styles to our qualifying opponents. Probably here since we don't travel to Central America for friendlies very often. The Europeans have pretty heavy schedules already. The South Americans are a better possibility.

21. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Ireland. We're doing nothing for the next year or so.

22. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

that would be cool - belgium has also recently seen their calendar opened up quite a bit

23. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're scheduled for a live game on ESPN on Sunday, January 18 at 3:30 p.m. Eastern.

24. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a qualifying date, so that's probably a qualifier.

25. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point. As I posted elsewhere, another date is set with a specific note that it's a WCQ. This just says men's soccer. I brainfarted that this was the first game. Maybe, since we will only play four out of the six dates, they will play a friendly if we draw a bye that date.