USMNT and the Regista

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Pragidealist, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    When did I argue that this role didn't need a defensive partner? Pirlo had 2. If we partner someone with say- Adams. Yuiell was partnered with Mckennie.

2. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    Why are you getting so ... defensive? If this is frustrating you... just stop replying. Its all good.

3. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    Yeah I'm pretty much ignoring this. It ignored all the points I made about single goal being the most important factor and I don't really have time or inclination to dig in all of that data.
    I think - fairly simply- the US did not lose a single game in 2019 in which they scored a single goal. That pretty much says it all.

4. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    And I'm not digging up all the times you've said the regista doesn't need a defensive midfielder with them and you're even here still stating the defense is fine as is for the US in the next post, just so you can come up with another disingenuous argument.

5. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Could you give examples of this 'future focus'?

6. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    There's not enough data points to back such a claim. C'mon, man. You're embarrassing yourself, here.

DHC1 repped this.
  7. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010

I honestly don't remember saying it. I think we may have different understandings on what that means. Mckennie was next to Yueill with Yueill the technical #6 in terms of his positioning and McKennie a more defensive, ball winning 8.

I've also used Jorginho with Kante paired with him the mid.

I have been saying the defense has been fine. We have played with this role all year and did not lose a game where they scored a goal. I am not getting the disconnect.

8. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    I'm just using what I have to go on. We have one year of games in this system and in this style. If those numbers change a lot over the course of this year and the next we can readjust.

9. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    There are other World Cup cycles besides 2018. There's plenty to 'go on'.

10. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    wrt the comment "we didn't lose a game where we scored a goal."

Here's the game we lost:

0-1 to Jamaica
    0-3 to Venezuela
    0-1 to Mexico
    0-3 to Mexico
    0-2 to Canada

So we gave up 10 goals over 5 games and the only issue you see is that we didn't score?

Furthermore, the primary reason we didn't score is because of an ill-informed insistence that we build around a regista and away from playing direct. I'm highly confident that we would have been far more dangerous if we took every opportunity to counter instead of having a possession focus.

11. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Thanks for pulling this together!

I look at this and see that we gave up a ton on goals even outside of our two worst (7 goals). Conversely, we qualified before when we scored only 7 goals (outside of our best two). We also made it farthest in the WC in that year.

We need to get back to shutting teams down entirely.

12. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Injuries killed the 2006 team, which had had a strong WCQing campaign.

13. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I had high hopes for that team - it was going to be Landon fulfilling his destiny as being "the man" at a world cup. I remember trying to console myself that well, we tied the eventual champions and knowing that was weak sauce....

14. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    Not really. Between last cylce and this there have been 3 different managers and a lot of roster turnover. I included the T&T game bc it was still relatively close.

And honestly I don't care to dig that deep right now on that. That is probably me just tired after several a long day of meetings.

15. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    14 years ago? Why are we looking at something from 14 years ago?

16. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    Yes. Because all but one of those were friendlies. So the only game in which we even gave up multiple goals in a competitive game was Canada. Where they were pushing to get back the goal they gave up.

I'm getting tired. Long day. I'll reply to comment later. I'm likely to get unnecessarily biting in my responses soon. Later guys.

17. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    To get a snapshot of long term trends and of the norms. Can't do that off a few games of Gregg and his Magic System. Across the past 5 WCQing cycles, taking away the two outlier matches reveals a fairly obvious problem with the 2018 WCQing team.

18. LuckofLichaj

LuckofLichaj Member+

Mar 9, 2012
    Why is it the orthodoxy that Yueill is a better possession creator/keeper than Adams? Is it because he’s.....slower?

If we already have McKennie to play the runner 8 why not just let Tyler Adams play the 6- where he plays for the Bundesliga table-topper?

Would Yueill have a higher passing percentage playing where Adams is for RBL?

I’m not convinced that Gregg’s tactics will succeed but his fully-healthy, first-choice USMNT pool actually has the players to theoretically fill his midfield:

Pulisic/Reyna———McKennie
    ———Adams———Dest

Why the hell are we talking about Yueill as a must-start player?

And please don’t tell me that Lampard would keep Kante at the 8 if it meant subbing Jorginho for Jackson Yueill. I know you were going to say something to that effect.

nobody and DHC1 repped this.
  19. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    I think we'll see Adams there. With the talent coming in it may be the best place for him. But in that role- its a role tied to the back line and doesn't allow as much roaming and ball winning. Definitely not against it. It's not really the same role he plays for RBL.

20. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    There are so many different ways to conceptualize these. Check this out.

https://runningtheshowblog.wordpres...-different-roles-of-the-defensive-midfielder/

I've heard both Brenden Rogers and Berhalter refer to the role as the "controller." This describes Busquets as a controller rather than a regista. There are many others that refer to him as the Regista. I think its largely because these are concepts and not hard, strict definitions. The really good teams can get one player to play all of these in one role.

Not advocating anything from this article. Just thought it interesting and thought you'd be interested in reading it.

21. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Statistically, Busquets has no problem roaming and ball winning.

From WS--
    Sergio Busquets Characteristics
    + Strengths
    Passing-----Very Strong
    Ball interception------Strong
    Concentration-------Strong
    Tackling-------Strong

Against Italy, Adams had no problem roaming and ball winning from the lone 6. He had 17 clearances, drawn fouls, tackles, recoveries, and ints. The other 4 CMs who had played had combined 19.

nobody repped this.
  22. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    Positionally - Busquets plays as locked in mostly in front of the back line. He’s got the speed of a cb. He doesn’t roam and break up plays the way Adams does. They play different roles

23. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    Of everything I've been reading... this is probably the most accurate.

Another way to phrase it

Controller/Passer
    Press Resistant Mid/ Dribbler
    Ball winner/ Ball recoverer

MPNumber9 repped this.
  24. LuckofLichaj

LuckofLichaj Member+

Mar 9, 2012
    There’s some truth to this. But if Gregg continues to press with two players high up the pitch while everyone else just hangs out behind the center-line we’re screwed no matter who we play back there.

In other words, Gregg’s defensive positioning of the 6 or deepest mid or regista- whatever you want to call it- and many of the players around it- is terribly ineffective.

Tyler doesn’t just roam for RBL- he just plays high and aggressively for them. He’s always the deepest center mid.

25. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    #350 IndividualEleven, Jan 31, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    Not in the Italy match, where Adams played as a 'locked in 6'.

In '17, Bradley led the league in ball recoveries. His time has passed, but in his in day, he was an excellent ball winner.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/socc...-bradley-keeps-toronto-fc-moving-forward.html

But post injury, he lacked the close control to receive balls under pressure.

Pragidealist and DHC1 repped this.