News: USL/TOA discussion thread

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by SoccerPrime, Oct 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please post news and conversation relevant to the current USL First Division and Team Owners Association discussion.

2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Are there any new developments?

3. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope. The 48 hours have passed, but hopefully we'll hear something early this week.

4. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
  5. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

Inter Miami CF, Junior de Barranquilla
    United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesnt Garber give a state of teh league address during the MLS CUp?
    I think he would talk about the expansion team coming in, the new format for 2010, and the new second divsion MLS..lol... I hope... But for real doesn't he have a speech coming up?? anyone know?

6. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes Garber will say something as part of the Board of Governors meetings they have at every MLS Cup (so 3rd week of November). I am 98% sure he will mention nothing about the USL/TOA situation.

7. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm 100% sure. But now we're into speculation, which belongs in the other thread.

Besides, the MLS Cup is on Nov. 22. The USL AOM is before that, so we'll have learned all we need to know by then.

8. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you give us a report instead of just the link?

10. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Basically the former owner of Rochester Lancers back in the day, said NASL was owned by owners and that should happen in USL, the owners rule the league and the commisioner is voted in by the owners.

11. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    He also said that USL doesn't do enough for their teams. Though, like most of the interviews with the TOA membership, he only mentioned that the ownership change was what needed to happen.

This has been a source of frustration for me for a long time and it really is all this whole dispute boils down to in the end. Only my opinion, but the calls for better marketing, seem something just to mention, no one is specific about anything else that needs to change.

The only other thing I've heard is that Miami wanted Marcos or Holt to come stand in the way of Barcelona coming to town earlier this year, which is laughable. It wouldn't have changed a damn thing. Miami, a team owned by a SOCCER MARKETING COMPANY, should be able to do better in that market. It's more laughable that the team owned by the soccer marketing company thinks they'll be able to do any better in that area if they just pick up and play in a different league. Their failure is not USL's fault. I honestly believe the league would be ok with them being gone.

At the end of the day I respect the TOA's position of wanting a change in the way the league is run, but I wish the whole "USL doesn't do enough for its teams" talking point would just go away... It's all about ownership change, that's what it's been since August 31. Just say it flat out already.

With Minnesota's GM leaving what looks like a sinking ship in St. Paul for a team in USL, more serious questions should be raised about the viability of the core of teams leaving in hopes of greener pastures in a new league... The cracks that were always there are now showing.

12. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well well well. This is getting more interesting. Courtesy of International Soccer Network:

13. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    Very interesting... We'd heard from Kartik and BQ that it was 48 hours last Wednesday or Thursday... Maybe things spilled in to the weekend.

Wonder which way it'll go.

14. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My prediction is Tim Holt bends over backwards and gives the USL owners control of USL.

15. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    http://internationalsoccernetwork.com/blog/

Just wondering since the two of the tags are "Andrew Nestor" and "Tampa Bay Rowdies" if that's the source and if so does it mean they are going to be breaking away...

If it is his source, either horrible slip up or brilliant hint?

16. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All I know is Nestor has been pretty talkative about the subject:

Nestor: The entire TOA is considering all its current options. The TOA is a highly committed group with significant resources. All members of the TOA are fully committed to continuing a league next season, whether that be as part of the USL or under some other structure. A different league structure with team owner governance is a possibility that has been discussed amongst the TOA and others in the soccer industry. It’s too preliminary to comment any further on that right now – the primary goal now is to determine how we can best work together to promote and grow the game in North America.

It is critical that a league be governed by its team owners. This has been proven by successful leagues around the world, including EPL, NHL, NFL, and MLB. We believe that the USL league structure – which does not support ownership involvement – has been a significant challenge to the growth of USL‐1 to date. It’s clear that many in the soccer world understand this and support the TOA’s mission.

Nestor: Our group of clubs has significant resources to grow our individual clubs and the sport in North America. With the right league structure, we believe we can elevate our league and play a critical role in correctly developing the sport in a complimentary fashion to MLS. North America is a large geographical area, and with the sport of soccer trying to stabilize itself here, this is not about rivalry. This is about all clubs and leagues in North America cooperating to grow the game.

Nestor: Again, the TOA is committed to using its resources to grow the sport of soccer in North America the right way. That means striving to comply with FIFA standards as much and as quickly as possible taking into consideration the realities of our markets. Our clubs have shown that desire locally with their player development initiatives and understanding of the sport’s history and international standards. Changing our season schedule to match the international schedule is a move we have discussed as a group and will consider.

http://www.american11soccer.com/2009/09/five-questions-with-andrew-nestor.html

17. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    If that's the case, he's ready to take a significant loss in franchise fees and the rest to go along with the TOA.

Can't say the guy's not brave.

Though it could just be that he's going to announce where the Rowdies will play next year. :)

18. ortawa

ortawa New Member

Feb 10, 2009
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    This article is several weeks old if I remember correctly

19. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. If you look at the bottom, it was posted 9/1/09. Or, 1/9/09, for the rest of the world;)

20. jasontoon

jasontoon Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The previous blog post on that site has another interesting morsel: http://internationalsoccernetwork.com/blog/?p=358

If it's true that the TOA has retained Fleishman-Hilliard to handle their PR and marketing, that seems to indicate that the TOA owners are spending money and making plans. F-H is a pretty big deal and they don't come cheap.

21. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could be a mistake for me to comment on this, but it's nearly 5pm central, and not a word from anyone, Kartik, Inside MN, or ISN.

Wonder if we'll hear anything tomorrow.

22. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    It's certainly possible this is the case, though given the fact that no statement came out today, like the site reported, I'm wondering if they've been hired or just contacted? Maybe it was mentioned to ISN, and that was construed into something?

Kartik and Quarstad seem much better sourced so far than this site - I'm just sayin'.

23. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

that link was from a couple days ago, the "statement tomorrow" (which we all know here on Bigsoccer means 60-90 days) was the most recent blog.

I guess we will just wait. But for a vocal as the TOA members have been, I think the longer there are no announcements from the TOA camp, the chances of a breakaway are less and less likely.

24. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    Right, I agree. Just pointing out that Kartik and Quarstad have been more accurate in their reporting than this site.

I agree the longer this goes, the less likely it seems the TOA will breakaway, though if that's the case, Miami won't be back and if recent events indicate anything, Minnesota as well.

25. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well if they don't come back Tampa and NY will take their place.