USL Sacramento Name and Colors

Discussion in 'Sacramento Republic FC' started by techguy9707, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I think the same thing.
    Don't worry. I'm sure the contest is a sham. It's not like we'll see -- or will ever see -- the actual numbers.
    It's a shame people don't realize magpie is a local reference. The fact that it's still in the list is very suggestive to me. But I could see Sacramento Republic FC happening too.

sitruc repped this.
  2. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Sacramento Republic, San Jose Earthquakes
    Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I was in the D.C. area when the Washington Bullets held a naming contest to come up with a new name for fans to vote on, and I remember thinking that it was rigged, too. The choices fans had were Wizards, Dragons, Sea Dogs, Express or Stallions.

Ugh.

3. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't understand.. What names did people want instead? Where are their suggestions? I don't think it's rigged, I think the suggestions with most frequency made the finalists, hence Magpies showing up. But Black Oak? Someone had to be spamming that one.

What are the supposed better names?

4. HectorF18

HectorF18 Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Quick look at the Facebook page and people of course are shocked their name choices weren't included. Some of the "supposed better names" are: Rush, Force, Flood, Fury, Vipers, Strikers, Gold Rush, Prospectors. So far all of those sound like Arena football or U-10 team names.

QuietType repped this.
  5. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I just wanted to chime in about those names.. Vipers? Prospectors? Fury? Ridiculous. I agree with your assessment of being kids team names or arena football. Who are these people kidding?

I liked Gold, but that name is already taken by the NPSL team. Gold "Rush" is a little too dependent on the Gold Rush history, something which I think we in CA just need to move on from using as a crutch.

I'm not excited by most of the options we have, but we only need one good one. I also noticed from looking at Facebook that many people were posting "Republic" as their choice, I wonder if that is telling?? ;)

6. ColeWCAR

ColeWCAR Member

Jun 6, 2013
    Indiana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Magpies sounds like an awful name. Someone mentioned originality, and to me that just sounds like you're copying the British side, no?

That's why I submitted the name: Black Oak SC with a Black/Gold/Silver colorway.

7. proud smurf

proud smurf Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Uranus
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really think this discussion of the teams name shouldn't be taken so seriously, after all whatever the name be, in the end we will support the team no matter what, I mean...I support the EARTHQUAKES, is the best name ? no ! but hell, I support them anyways, so just have fun and support the Sacramento Townies :D

8. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    No.
    Only if our rival is called Gownies.

QuietType repped this.
  9. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Magpies are a terrible name but "Black Oak" is a good one? What do black oaks have to do with Sacramento? If we're going to name the team after a tree, at least it should have some sort of significance to the city, or at least be native to the region. And why we would want our team to don black in the summer sun and heat seems like a nice way to give yourself a disadvantage at home. I don't mean to offend, but it seems like many people think they had the perfect name/concept witthout thinking it through.

10. Daniel the Bricker

Feb 5, 2013
    Indianapolis
    as someone not connected with Sacramento in any way, i really like townies for some odd reason.

QuietType repped this.
  11. ColeWCAR

ColeWCAR Member

Jun 6, 2013
    Indiana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not connected with Sacramento either, as I'm a fellow Bricker, but I do like the name I stated earlier "Black Oak SC."

I went with that name because it just sounds the best out of all of them. In my opinion, all the choices sound like the normal, run-of-the-mill names that are tossed around in any "Name The Team" promotion. Except the Townies name. That one is just odd.

And with my Black/Gold/Silver color suggestion. Okay, who says that the black has to be worn at home? Could the black not be worn away? If not, simply switch the colors around Silver/Black/Gold (or substitute White for Silver).

QuietType repped this.
  12. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I appreciate your interest in the Sacramento team and enthusiasm, please don't vote in our contest. Black Oak might sound cool to you, but it means nothing to Sacramento. These contests are meant for the community to decide what their team will be, not for everyone across the country. We don't have Black Oaks in Sacramento, we have Valley Oaks. It's already frustrating that the organization is even considering Black Oak as a finalist name, when people had suggested "City of Trees" (our city's nickname) FC and it's not on the final list. No idea how they compiled this list.. But yea, thanks, but please be courteous. :thumbsup:

13. ColeWCAR

ColeWCAR Member

Jun 6, 2013
    Indiana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't get you tights in a wad. Simply do what everyone in Indianapolis did: complained directly to people in charge about the names in the poll, and wrote in options other than the "final poll options" that were given. In your case, simply write your preferred name and colors in the boxes.

14. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My tights aren't in a wad. Unfortunately there is no write-in. I've already written the club asking them to remove Black Oak from consideration, we'll see how it goes.

15. ColeWCAR

ColeWCAR Member

Jun 6, 2013
    Indiana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, there is a write-in. It's a loophole. Just write in your own name option instead of the ones given. It gives you a blank space, simply write the name in, and start a movement against the chosen names. The Indy Eleven name wasn't originally on the list, and that's because we protested against the options, so they scrapped it and came up with the name on their own. It's worked out well.

16. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Like I said before, I have no doubt the vote is rigged.

They'd be idiots not to rig it. Or ignore it. Whichever was easier.

This "contest" is mostly about the team building awareness and gathering contacts.

sitruc repped this.
  17. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Virginia Cavalry probably lost me due to their name. The Washington Wizards... they're fortunate that was a rebrand...:confused:

18. ColeWCAR

ColeWCAR Member

Jun 6, 2013
    Indiana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a fan of the cavalry name? What did you want instead?

19. Polemarch

Polemarch Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Sacramento, California
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Virginia Infantry

20. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    The name is trying to go after one group while the colors are nearly DCU and the logo shares some baseball. Perhaps I'm too cynical, but for me it was all too convenient how it was the name chosen by a special needs kid. You can look at my avatar for the main reason I didn't like it...

21. ColeWCAR

ColeWCAR Member

Jun 6, 2013
    Indiana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't understand how the Hokies or a special needs kid choosing the name gives you the "main reason" to not like the name. I honestly don't get it. I wasn't aware a special needs kid picked the name. Did they announce that?

22. MUTINYFAN

MUTINYFAN Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Orlando
    Well at least the Earthquakes name has a history an a tradition. A lot of interesting team names have tradition and history so we accept them: Sheffield Wednesday, Young boys FC, Newells Old Boys etc.
    Actually i will take earthquakes any day over a generic San Jose FC or San Jose City.

23. MUTINYFAN

MUTINYFAN Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Orlando
    Sacramento Black Oaks would be an interesting name. Much like Sanford Cardinal is an interesting name. But Black Oaks FC sounds like a local 5 a side sunday league team.

24. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure - in a place where black oak trees actually grew.. :cautious:
    If the team were to be named after a tree, it should be Valley Oak FC, if anything.

25. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having gone to Sac State way back in the late 90's, when I think of Sac, I remember what I'm pretty sure are pear trees. Not that that would be a good name, but it might make a good color.