USL Sacramento - building local support

Discussion in 'Sacramento Republic FC' started by techguy9707, Feb 1, 2013.

1. JackH

JackH New Member

Feb 3, 2013
    I hadn't realized that Yellow-billed magpies are unique to California, but that would make it a reasonable choice. And it leads to obvious team colors.

But the name sounds a bit silly. Sticking with the bird theme, how about the Sacramento Thrashers?

2. DPPhotog

DPPhotog New Member

Feb 28, 2013
    Sacramento, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I like "Sutter's Army" and some of the other ones. One thing that I would suggest is having one unified "non-profit" organization, then having several (if not many) sub-groups, based on region, or nationality, or specific hobby (other than soccer, such as motorcycles). That way, each sub-group brings their own unique taste and flare to the stands, but all groups work together (for chants, and support of the team). This gives it a broader dynamic, and it encourages people to find others to start a sub-group which brings in more supporters. I've seen this in many of the MLS cities (my friends and I did a 52 day roadtrip documenting supporter groups last summer). Having several bars/restaurants in different neighborhoods is definitely worth it. Especially if we work with them to set up some sort of a corner where sub-groups have meetings and hang up scarves, photos, etc. of the team and the supporters. Local bars would love the patronage, and it would advertise the groups to others. I think each sub-group should have a president, and then the main supporter organization hold elections to choose overall president, vice-president, treasurer, etc. Then that committee forms rules of conduct, regulations that each sub-group need to follow in order to be part of the main supporter organization, and so on. Lot's to think about, and it's never too early to think of the broad, long-term picture. Better to start off thinking big, than to be disorganized later when things develop on a larger scale. Just my 2 cents.

mangerson repped this.
  3. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Sacramento Republic, San Jose Earthquakes
    Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What was the output of your documentation? I think it would be interesting to see that. Were any of the groups you documented new start-up? Were they all MLS or were there lower division clubs, too?

I would have thought that one group to start would be important to obtain a critical mass, and then sub divide as the opportunities arise, but that's just me not having put much thought into it.

Once in the stadium, do the groups sit together to create an image of one large supporters group? Or, do the sub groups spread out across the stadium to try to create energy throughout the entire crowd (it sounds like this is what you mean)?

Bosnian Diamond repped this.
  4. DPPhotog

DPPhotog New Member

Feb 28, 2013
    Sacramento, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Mangerson, to respond to your questions, go to www.mlsroadtrip.com. I was the photographer on this trip, not the writer, so I just met a lot of supporters, but didn't interview them myself. But, yes, the sub-groups generally sat together as one, with a few exceptions where there was bad blood between two groups. This can be easily managed if we start of with mutual respect for all. Actually, supporter groups from different MLS teams got along well (most, anyway). There was, generally, an understanding that we are all friends before and after the game, but enemies once the game started. After all, we all love soccer and that's the point, to grow soccer in America. And everyone was passionate about their team, and about their city, and about their own club.

If we started out as one club, we have to start creating by-laws as to creating sub-groups, how they become members of the larger organization, what we can't do/say before, during, and after games (as in no hatred/racism/sexism). These are all, obviously, things we need to think about, but it's important to start off with certain rules of respect and inclusivity so that the team has a strong, unified, and broad supporter section.

And we concentrated on MLS only, though I think we should have included some USL or NASL teams in hind sight.

5. techguy9707

techguy9707 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Antelope, CA
    Sounds like I would love to have a drink with you guys.

Dan, your ideas are consistent with my thoughts. I approached the team with this concept and they seemed supportive of this plan. I can see several subgroups with a "supporters network" type header. It would allow the team to communicate with a more defined set of people and not six or seven groups. I know I am much more of a "family friendly" supporter but I KNOW we need the "Ultras" support as well as other subgroups. I have plans to meet with the Sacramento Chapter of American Outlaws along with the team executives this month. I feel we must work with the AO to make this successful.

When I shook hands with team owner, I said "F-the-Ref is not my chant but there's room for that fan... in that section over there".

I would like to see different sections for the different communities but a single voice for the "fan". A unified supporters group would make it much easier to get things like a dedicated supporter's parking lot/party zone, team concessions, supporter gear, stadium sections for the different types of supporters, tifo-friendly seating sections (no "non-supporter" fans behind signage, getting angry).

6. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's awesome, techguy9707. Sounds like we have more in common as I'm more of a "family friendly" fan myself. I've always found the cursing at refs stuff childish; it's not so much that I disagree with the sentiment, it's just there are so many more classier and wittier ways to approach chants and stadium atmosphere.

By the way, you said you met with representatives of the club, did you share what you talked about on here or somewhere? I'd love to hear what they said :thumbsup:

7. techguy9707

techguy9707 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Antelope, CA
  8. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. techguy9707

techguy9707 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Antelope, CA
    Yes, at this time, I am sure this will be shared as time goes on; but for today, I am the voice.

QuietType repped this.
  10. Polemarch

Polemarch Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Sacramento, California
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    A few ideas I kicked around:
    Historical Names
    Pony Riders
    The Argonauts
    The Gold-diggers
    The Frontiersmen
    Sac City Miners
    The Caravan
    The 4th (reference to a Civil War regiment)
    Sutter's Boys
    Crafters/Brewers Names
    Soccer Guild
    Sac Crafters Groups
    The Brewers
    The Avant-Garde
    Northern California Names
    Mountain Men
    The Snowmen
    Northside Firm
    Northmen
    House Stark
    Sacramento Kings themes Names:
    The Kingsguards
    Bannermen

11. Polemarch

Polemarch Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Sacramento, California
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    *Brewer's Club

12. JackH

JackH New Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Sacramento Dragon Slime

Besides sounding tough, it's a reference to the poem "The Coming American", the first line of which is engraved on the front of the old state office building southwest of the Capitol.

13. Daniel the Bricker

Feb 5, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Hey guys, I am a founder of the Brickyard Battalion in Indianapolis. When it comes to making a supporters group if you have any questions we would be willing to help. Hope you guys can grow from grassroots efforts instead of relying on team marketing.

We have a system like alot of you suggested. One main entity and smaller affiliate groups. Its a good system that works.

proud smurf repped this.
  14. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Sacramento Republic, San Jose Earthquakes
    Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It would appear that the primary supporters group is using facebook. Kids these days. jeez. ;) They still seem to be in the early stages of development.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tower-Bridge-Battalion/269927743142057?fref=ts

15. Daniel the Bricker

Feb 5, 2013
    Indianapolis