USL PRO teams

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by Mikey mouse, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like USL PRO is up to 8 teams now with Harrisburg announcing their intention to join the league

City Islanders join USL PRO

So Far its
    Dayton Dutch Lions
    Richmond Kickers
    Harrisburg City Islanders
    Charlotte Eagles
    Charleston Battery
    Sevilla PR
    River Plate PR
    Antigua Barracuda FC

I would imagine we will see announcements soon from
    Pittsburgh
    Real Maryland

Expansion team that might come in
    Orlando
    FC NY

Others
    Detroit (Michigan Bucks)
    FC London
    Rochester (?)
    Monsoon group (?)
    NW PDL group (?)

Others I'd like to see
    Carolina Dyanmo
    Wilmington Hammerheads
    Cleveland (?)
    Cinninatti (?)

I think Des moines would be a good addition but without any region to play in (Bring in St Louis Lions, expand to Omaha, Minnesota and it might be possible)

Ideally you need at least three more carribbean teams to make a Carribean region (six teams) viable IMO

Hopefully you can get two east coast base regions (North and South) of six teams each with the some of the teams above.

anyhow looks like a good place to put news links, rumors and specualtion

2. kodiakTFC

kodiakTFC Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Indios de Mayaguez FC and Puerto Rico United will likely be joining to extend the Caribbean division to five squads for 2011.

3. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw the USL press release that mentioned the posibiltiy of two other PR teams, but hadnt seen the names. Thanks

five might work, but if we go with a 20 match schedule, that would be 5 matches against each team.

4. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Supposedly pro soccer is returning to Cleveland. I should put pro in quotation marks, because nobody knows what level the team will be playing at.

My guess is USL Pro or NPSL.

5. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cleveland would be a good fit.

I think If Rochester moves to USL Pro and with Dayton coming in, and of course Pittsburg, Cleveland would have several very close rivials. Add in Detriot and FC London you practically have a entire regional division.

I guess it will depend on the level the supposed investor wants to get into and wish you guys luck in getting a team again

6. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Good for soccer USA

7. houndguy

houndguy New Member

Sep 5, 2001
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    So we are talking about 3 - 5 teams from a little tiny island. I'm thinking this is a classic USL recipe of disaster.

Does anyone else know if any other Caribbean isles are thinking of joing the NASL/USL? St Kitts? The Bahama's? I can see the market, but don't think 3 -5 teams from PR is a good idea.

8. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hear you but Jamacia has an entire league and is about the same size geographically but Puerto Rico has a larger population.

9. jcm28

jcm28 Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Puerto Rico
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    I know what you mean but im quite sure PR teams will be more economically stable than teams from any other island in the caribbean.

10. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The articles Ive read concerning Sevilla PR and River Plate PR have been very encouraging. What do you know about the other two clubs owners jcm28?

11. jcm28

jcm28 Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Puerto Rico
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    The other 2 clubs were founded this year so barely any info at all about them.

These are the only things I know so far:

Mayaguez FC have a brand new stadium (12,000 seats) and seem to be preety serious about the club so far. Mayaguez is a big sports city in PR so i'm guessing/hoping that it will get good support from its fans.

Their owners are a big sports family and they also own the basketball team of Indios de Mayaguez, so they have experience on sports team management.

Here's their logo:
    [​IMG]

PR United are going to play in Aguada (very close to Mayaguez, so a potential rivalry right there), small stadium (4,000) but with a modern look. They had tryouts on october 1-2 (no idea how that went).

Here's their logo:

[​IMG]

So, in summary, I think MFC will be a preety decent team that will only get better with time. I don't think PRU will be as succesful as the other powerhouses of PR Soccer (Islanders, RiverPlate, Sevilla, BayamonFC, and potentially Mayaguez FC) anytime soon, but with correct management they might go do big things soon and might cause some damage.

The knowledge that they had tryouts at least let us know that they are alive (which is way more than many other teams in PR), so who know?

Hope I helped.

EDIT:

Damn it, the stupid MFC shield still appears 2 times.

If anyone is interested in pictures of the MFC and PRU stadium feel free to ask and I would gladly put them. Any other info you need feel free to PM me (or any of the other great PR posters in big soccer).
    [​IMG]

12. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thanks

What kind of support have the clubs been getting? If you can put the photos of the stadiums up, And how do you think the population will accept USL Pro?

13. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    The part ''PRO'' of USL PRO might be misleading, I doubt that most D3 players will be making a lot of money

14. jcm28

jcm28 Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Puerto Rico
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    Estadio Centroamericano (Mayaguez FC):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. jcm28

jcm28 Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Puerto Rico
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    Estadio de Aguada (PR United):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. jcm28

jcm28 Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Puerto Rico
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    Now, as for the 2 teams that will actually play in USL-PRO:

- River Plate PR has imo by far the best front office of all PR teams. They are serious about this, and their goal is to pass the islanders as the best team at all costs. They have been training in Argentina over the last month against Div-II teams from there, and they have an AMAZING fan support (for PR soccer team standards).

They are probably more serious about this than any other PR team and they WANT to play in the Concacaf Champions League as soon as possible.

- Sevilla FC Juncos is still a preety new team but they were the 2008 PRSL champions and their stadium, when finished, will be by far the best soccer stadium in the island:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They also have alot of support from the town mayor.

3 people repped this.
  17. jcm28

jcm28 Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Puerto Rico
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    DR should make a team to play in the USL. It would be great to form a rivalry:cool:

1 person likes this.
  18. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Yes, they should but it will never happen, dominican soccer is on a shoestring budget

And by the way, felicidades for all these beautiful soccer stadiums in Borinquen

19. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    here is an article about River plate PR pairing with a marketing firm. the artilce states they will have a marketing budget of $1.35 Million!

http://www.uslsoccer.com/home/470296.html

That is pretty serious money for marketing...

20. houndguy

houndguy New Member

Sep 5, 2001
    Pittsburgh, Pa
  21. evan eleven

evan eleven Member

Jun 4, 2009
    California
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    wow those logos are waaaaaay better than the PR Islanders logo.

22. jcm28

jcm28 Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Puerto Rico
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    lol, tell me about it:rolleyes:

23. jcm28

jcm28 Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Puerto Rico
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
  24. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Great for them but is soccer really becoming that popular in PR ? Can they really fill up that stadium for a USL PRO game against the Riverhounds or the Battery ? I wish them nothing but the best but I have my doubts

25. jcm28

jcm28 Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Puerto Rico
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    Heck no. The islanders have had only about 4 or 5 complete fill ups in their entire existance.