USL on a winter schedule

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by Vesty, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Vesty

Vesty Member

May 8, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    So there's been a lot of talk in the last couple of weeks, and intensifying the last couple days, about the MLS moving to a winter schedule in the future. One thing that just dawned on me is, if this happens, how is this going affect the USL? With the new partnership with the MLS starting to go into full swing, if the MLS moves to a winter schedule the USL kind of has to follow suit right? After all loaning players and running reserve teams isn’t really going to work if both leagues are playing at different times of the year. Otherwise you have the same situation as th MLS has now where the reserve players aren't getting any play time during the MLS season.

I think the big problem with this wouldn't be with the clubs or players, but would be with the fans. Playing in the winter would completely change the family summer outing the USL tries to sell now. I'm not sure they could draw those folks in the dead of winter.

Do you think the USL could work on a winter schedule?

2. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. KidFlash

KidFlash Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, it would be a death knell for numerous franchises.

Speaking as a Rochester resident, there's just no way in hell that the Rhinos would draw in winter.

4. MLSinSTL

MLSinSTL Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 20, 2009
    Ohio - near a city
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No soccer league in the US or Canada should go to the winter schedule. Never or very close to never.

5. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't heard much serious talk from MLS about a winter schedule at least in the nest couple season. Garber mentions it from time to time but I think it causes several problems and only really fixes one. If Blatter gets his way they would have to play a summer schedule for the 2018 world cup year anyhow so I doubt we would see anything before then.

As to USL, potentially would work in here in Charleston but even then it is pretty risky. Last Carolina challenge Cup was unseasonable cold and raining. On Saturday match where they technically sold out the stadium (5100), the rain came in around 1pm, and rain until late at night and the temp drop to where the wind chill was 29F at 8pm. I would say less than 1000 showed up for the games and most of them didn't last until the 90 min. It was miserable. I was wet, cold and seriously considered leaving myself and I am a pretty ardent supporter.

Those that didn't show paid for their tickets and still didn't come. I can't imagine how much harder it would be for Sale staff to sell tickets in the winter.

That doesn't even take into account the issues with travel not to mention Rochester (among others) as Kidflash

KidFlash repped this.
  6. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    MLS has already refuted the "schedule change" as rumors, nothing more. They said that some "minor changes will be made to 2014 schedule, that is all. Any major change to the current format would involve significant discussion amongst all stakeholders, fans included.

KidFlash, MLSinCleveland and Mikey mouse repped this.
  7. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rochester would start in late Feb or early March on the road. Not sure what you do in November into December. Also the USL season would start later or end earlier, so it seems possible if complicated.

8. penske

penske Member

Feb 21, 1999
    NYC
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't wait for MLS, do it now, seriously a great idea, please do it!!!

Separately if you do adopt a Spring and Fall format Im sure Holt will claim to be the first league in the US to adopt it...

9. KidFlash

KidFlash Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, going by memory, the Rhinos have traditionally opened their home schedule on the first Saturday in May, and that's always a crapshoot weather-wise. Even the Red Wings have bad attendance through April and May. Some of that is due to school being in session (typically, the year ends in late June), but the local weather doesn't stabilize until mid-May at the earliest.

I just can't see minor league soccer trying out a winter schedule. It's pandering to a fanbase that simply isn't big enough in most USL cities. Sure, you'd get your hardcore support, but you depend on that crowd who wants to go for a good time to survive. They won't sit out in the cold, especially in northern cities like ours.

MLSinCleveland repped this.
  10. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, does the lake effect snow hit Rochester? I'm pretty sure Buffalo gets it (one of three places in the world (Cleveland, Buffalo, and one other I can't remember.).

brentgoulet repped this.
  11. KidFlash

KidFlash Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh yeah. Cleveland and Buffalo have Lake Erie, we've got Lake Ontario.

12. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I lived in Syracuse for a year and they definitely get the Lake effect snow

13. Matt117

Matt117 Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Tempe, AZ
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Phoenix, fans and owners, would love switch to the winter.

14. penske

penske Member

Feb 21, 1999
    NYC
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess the grass at Reach 21 doesn't get so hot in the winter to sit on. :)

15. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a great idea.

But I can understand why you would think it was.

17. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reach 11, genius.

18. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's because MLS's owners aren't suicidal. I wouldn't worry about a winter switch. Every now and then Garber makes some half assed statement about it to placate FIFA. But it's never going to happen. The winter is just too cold in the northern latitudes and the time of year far too congested if they want to get any kind of media coverage.

19. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did Blatter stop talking about how wonderful it would be to play in the winter in the United States the day after the U.S-Costa Rica game in Denver last March?

KidFlash, MLSinCleveland and brentgoulet repped this.
  20. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    It's kind if like a guy who decides to start a pro hockey league in Australia

He decides to play from November to May. Now this is summer in Australia but who cares. Hockey is ALWAYS played from Nov to May

No. The man would be wrong

Pro soccer in the US and Canada is simply not going to work in the winter. For the same reason hockey won't make it in Australia in the dead of an Aussie summer.

Everyone points to Europe playing over the winter. Well it's the top sport there. In North America, soccer is still a niche sport overall. People aren't going to come out regardless.

Hopefully this will be the first last and only time anyone ever compares American (and Canadian) soccer to ice hockey in Australia.

CFL-fan and MLSinCleveland repped this.
  21. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    The MLS stadiums are full with a summer based schedule. MLS teams are being affiliated with USL Pro teams, upping the talent of player in the USL and lowering the salary costs with MLS clubs paying for the loaned roster players.

If it is working and getting better why change it.

There is a whole generation that has grown up with the MLS but there were some struggles through those years so still have the EURO soccer fans who think that model is the only way soccer will work.
    There is going to be another generation growing up now with a 24 team league. A top 10-15 National team and a minor league USL Affiliate.
    These are the future fans and players and they will know no different and this will be the way it is and soccer in Europe will be weird Pro/Rel.
    could anyone imagine the LA Galaxy or NYC FC being relagated to a second divison club?

While we are at it the 2 game aggregate playoff series should be looked at as well.
    Teams in pro sports in North America get home field advantage for playoffs

MLSinCleveland repped this.
  22. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great post. The only issue I have is that I doubt that the aggregate playoffs will be going anywhere. It guarantees more teams a home playoff gate without the difficulty of trying to sell an "if necessary" game in a best-of-3 series.

23. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also it's better to compete largely with baseball, than it is to compete largely with the NFL, NBA and NHL. Not to mention college football.

KidFlash, athletics68 and MLSinCleveland repped this.
  24. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Untill they have a away game in Rochester :)

[​IMG]

RobtheAggie, Oobers, KidFlash and 2 others repped this.
  25. CFL-fan

CFL-fan Member

May 1, 2006
    Maryland
    The Australian Ice Hockey League ran its 2013 season from April to September.
    http://iha_site.stats.pointstreak.com/leagueschedule.html?leagueid=847&seasonid=10934

athletics68 repped this.