USL Expansion General discussion

Discussion in 'USL Expansion' started by mikehurst21, Jan 4, 2016.

1. C-Rob

C-Rob Member

May 31, 2000
    I wonder whether this NPSL rumor might be the next step in the evolution of MLS youth sides. The USL 2 teams are evolving quickly and are starting to produce MLS players. However, it still isn't a great place for DA players to get a lot of time unless they are great prospects.

At the same time, the DA has just about reached its ceiling. The MLS DA teams are starting to separate from the nonaffiliated clubs in terms of quality, and they aren't getting much in the way of good competition, which is beginning to show when they face Mexican teams in tournament.

I could envision a situation where NPSL goes pro, and MLS teams providing free labor in the form of DA youth players. That would help MLS because the youth players would also be competimg against good competition more regularly, possibly with and against older guys. It would help the NPSL teams by cutting labor costs. Realistically, I think that is about the only way NPSL could go pro and not lose money hand over fist.

thomas19064 repped this.
  2. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting... the independent USL clubs seem to have been expanding their DA programs too.... seems odd to divert things away from the PDL, but I guess a full season option is more appealing?

3. C-Rob

C-Rob Member

May 31, 2000
    I think the PDL still has its place. I mean, college kids need something to do during summer, and they aren't allowed to play with pros. Maybe it will be more of a merger of PDL and NPSL, with the teams willing to make a go of it at D3 doing so and the remainder staying at the PDL level.

Of course, all this is predicated on USL gaining D2 status, and given how leaky bureaucracy can be, I'm pretty stunned that we haven't heard of why USL did not get D2 status at the last meeting, the timeline on a decision, and what the USL might need to do to improve heir chances at D2.

4. mikehurst21

mikehurst21 Member

Oklahoma City Energy FC
    United States
    Nov 6, 2013
    Moore Oklahoma
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could see an NPSL PDL merged and developed into a regional D4 professional league and a separate regional D5 amateur league for the college kids to play in this would basically fill in the gaps in the pyramid by connecting D1 to D5 and then if pro/rel were to be tried ( which I don't think it will ever be) then the super structure that's needed for it to grow would be in place. Not that I want pro/rel but this rumor if true does intrigue me. The question is is it true and what's the vision for such an agreement. I mean it could be just for a development pathway.

5. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why in the world would PDL and NPSL clubs want to go professional? Most are poorly-funded outfits playing in HS football stadiums. Many are in markets that are quite small. If they had the desire and capability to go pro, they'd be in USL right now. There's a reason why they are all still in the PDL or NPSL.

6. Threeke

Threeke Member

Feb 26, 2016
    It's pretty easy to want to be professional without having the means. And while it may be challenging, it is certainly not impossible to acquire the means to go professional assuming the desire is there.

I also think there's a distinct difference between being 'low-budget' vs 'poorly funded.' Look at Kingston Stockade (extreme example I know). They've got as much funding as they need, and the ability to spend more if they wanted to, but they are a low-budget operation. I'm sure there are other PDL or NPSL owners who could spend more money if they wanted to.

7. Vesty

Vesty Member

May 8, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2016/10/22/mls-usl-partnership-jake-edwards

8. mikehurst21

mikehurst21 Member

Oklahoma City Energy FC
    United States
    Nov 6, 2013
    Moore Oklahoma
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Stephen York

Stephen York Member

Dec 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL.
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    First USL expansion announcement at 1PM EST.

790918993553068038 is not a valid tweet id

thomas19064 repped this.
  10. Threeke

Threeke Member

Feb 26, 2016
    Rowdies are coming over to USL.

11. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    thomas19064 repped this.
  12. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ottawa Fury has moved too.

13. fighting muskie

Mar 30, 2016
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    If USL can grab Indy, Jacksonville, and Carolina then I think they effectively kill NASL and end up with D2 sanctioning by default. The only teams left would be:

Cosmos--USL/MLS have no interest
    Edmonton--owner has NASL stock and will stay until the bitter end
    SF Deltas--have yet to play, USL might not want them due to MLS territory issues
    Rayo OKC--dumpster fire likely to fold, city already has USL
    Ft Lauderdale--the other dumpster fire, has MLS territory issues with Beckham group
    Miami FC--committed to the Cosmos model, same territory issue as Ft L
    Puerto Rico--USL isn't interested in going back to the island

That's 7 clubs and 2 are on life support and I'm not sure the other owners are going to want to pony up the money to keep them going.

I know Indy came out in support of NASL but if college football has thought me anything it is that when an up-and-coming head coach says in a press conference that he's committed to Xxxxxx University he has already interviewed somewhere else, his bags are packed, and a realtor is getting ready to stage his house for a listing.

I say cut the three I mentioned a deal.

14. Stephen York

Stephen York Member

Dec 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL.
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Never underestimate the committed owners....look at the AFL (Arena Football League). They are down to 4 teams for next season and are planning to play it out and expand again. Now, whether they actually play the season and whether they get new teams for the following season remains to be seen....but that is a "pro" 4 team league.

15. greenroom

greenroom BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would think USL would love to have SF Deltas. It would lock up the area with teams, and the Sacramento/SF Derby would be awesome for NorCal.

16. sawillis

sawillis Member

Apr 24, 2007
    Smyrna, TN
    For what, two years?

17. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So correct me if I'm wrong but the current count of 2 teams vs. independent teams is:

13 - MLS Operated Teams
    18 - Independent (9 will presumably have some sort of affiliation in 2017)

18. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what I have ... and if most "affiliates" stay the same ... Minnesota and NYCFC are the 2 teams still "looking" for USL affiliates ... and Ottawa, Harrisburg, Cinci, Louisville, Tampa Bay, Sacramento, Arizona, Colorado Springs, Tulsa and San Antonio are "available".

19. mikehurst21

mikehurst21 Member

Oklahoma City Energy FC
    United States
    Nov 6, 2013
    Moore Oklahoma
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Read somewhere that Ottawa will affiliate with Minnesota United

20. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really hope that's not accurate. I believe Minnesota and Ottawa were pretty decent "rivals" of sorts and their fans don't care much for each other. For Ottawa to keep their fan base somewhat happy with a "move down a tier" they'll not need to affiliate to make the appearance worse than it already is.

There were some "jokes" being thrown around on Reddit posts about this and I really hope what you read was just sarcasm/joking that you didn't pick up on.

21. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    This is the current full list:

Affiliates (6)
    Charleston Battery - Atlanta United
    OKC Energy - FC Dallas
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds - Columbus Crew
    Richmond Kickers - DC United
    Rochester Rhinos - New England Revolution
    Saint Louis FC - Chicago Fire

Affiliates w/ Roster Managed (more or less) (3)
    Charlotte Independence - Colorado Rapids
    Reno 1868 - San Jose Earthquakes
    Rio Grande Valley - Houston Dynamo

MLS Owned (11)
    Bethlehem Steel - Philadelphia Union
    FC Montreal - Montreal Impact
    LA Galaxy II - LA Galaxy
    NY Red Bulls II - NY Red Bulls
    Orlando City B - Orlando City
    Portland Timbers 2 - Portland Timbers
    Real Monarchs SLC - Real Salt Lake
    Seattle Sounders 2 - Seattle Sounders
    Swope Park Rangers - Sporting Kansas City
    Toronto FC II - Toronto FC
    Vancouver Whitecaps 2 - Vancouver Whitecaps

Non-affiliated USL (11)
    Arizona United
    Colorado Springs Switchbacks
    FC Cincinnati
    Harrisburg City Islanders
    Louisville City
    Orange County Blues
    Ottawa Fury
    Sacramento Republic
    San Antonio FC
    Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Tulsa Roughnecks

Unattached MLS (2)
    Minnesota United
    NY City FC

22. sawillis

sawillis Member

Apr 24, 2007
    Smyrna, TN
    I think there was an article today or yesterday that said, no affiliation, no salary dump. I don't expect them to affiliate anytime soon.

23. mikehurst21

mikehurst21 Member

Oklahoma City Energy FC
    United States
    Nov 6, 2013
    Moore Oklahoma
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And 2 on hiatus ( Austin Aztex, Wilmington Hammerheads) bringing the official number of clubs to 34 clubs hiatus may not be active but have to officially be counted as part of the league. But to be fair it's hard to believe that Austin with its current ownership would be able to comeback however there's still an Austin USL franchise legally so hopefully they can come back in 2018 and we all know the situation with Wilmington

greenroom repped this.
  24. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They may also have some more stringent roster restrictions given to them by the CSA (similar to the Canadian MLS2 teams). So if they don't do a salary dump and get young Canadians, it will be interesting. Maybe they'll have more to spend on non Canadians, I don't know.

25. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Yep, I should have included them on the list. 34 is also including Nashville.