USL D3

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by ThePonchat, May 6, 2017.

1. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Statesboro is a really small market at 71k metro and 30k city. With USL D3 having 150k+ in their standards, it seems a bit of a reach. That being said, they were rather well attended last year for a PDL team. I've got attendance numbers for 6 of their 7 home games and they averaged 2,083.

3. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those would be excellent numbers for a PDL team. I have had much more trouble finding PDL numbers in recent years than in the past.

That said, the last PDL team to try and turn pro was the Dayton Dutch Lions. It didn't go well. Nor have most times amateur teams have attempted to go pro.

4. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Austin Aztex were after DDL. It went even worse for Austin. At least DDL stayed in USL for more than 1 season.

5. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's gotten pretty barren but I've found some teams will announce on their twitter feeds. For posterity, if you'd like to add to your compendium of attendances:

May 21 vs Carolina Dynamo - 3105
    June 3 vs Peachtree City MOBA - 2761
    June 11 vs SC United Bantams - 2076
    June 23 vs Southern West Virginia King's Warriors - 1213
    June 25 vs West Virginia Chaos - ?
    July 7 vs Tri-Cities Otters - 1136
    July 9 vs Charlotte Eagles - 2207

6. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's true. Forgot about them.

7. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, I know. I have made it a point to inquire via Twitter for PDL and NPSL crowds and have had decent success. Thanks for those others.

8. Stephen York

Stephen York Member

Dec 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL.
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    To be fair, technically Austin is on hiatus....whether they actually take the field again is another story. But they did not fold outright, the flood at House Field and subsequent move to city football stadiums was rough on finances and they were no longer down town, which hurt attendance. Hopefully they can iron out their details and come back. Who knows, this D3 league could be their ticket to return.

9. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, Austin is "on hiatus" the way Elvis is taking a break from touring.

And the stadium was open for high school football by Labor Day of that same year. The idea that it was unplayable the next season is a canard.

10. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dayton said the same thing, they didn't announce a full-time move to PDL. They announced a "hiatus."

At least Dayton has continuously operated, Austin has nothing with the club...again.

11. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Stephen York

Stephen York Member

Dec 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL.
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Yep, it is sad that Austin just went dark. The most recent news was that they were sitting out 2017 and might return in 2018, but the owner said "no stadium, no team" or something like that. I am honestly not sure what he is expecting, it is not like the city is going to finance a stadium for them.

13. 2in10

2in10 Member+

LA Galaxy, Internazionale
    United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CBlake repped this.
  14. CBlake

CBlake Member

May 20, 2007
    North of somewhere
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No team is being forced to move down. Self-relegation is the only way they will move. At least for a few years since there is no immediately plan for pro-rel.

16. Lewis N. Clark

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    On July 25, Nipun Chopra posted:

"So, it's July. At what point do we start questioning whether USLd3 will make it to 8 teams, in order to debut in 2019? Insiders keep telling me that they are on track. My best guess - they WILL launch - but, at least 3/4 teams will be 'relegated' MLS2 teams."

Maybe not "officially relegated" in the pro/rel sense, but I think the USL might pressure/insist/demand that some of the low attendance/poor facility teams take the journey to d3. (TorontoFC II took the hint.) SPR comes to mind with their strange stadium saga this year (and last). NYRBII might also get a memo. Tucson is out on an island by itself; maybe LAGalaxyII would make a nice travel partner? Those would be the 4 lowest attended USL2 teams.

Nipun has good inside sources.

17. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USL has stated they would not force a team to move to D3. Doesn't mean they haven't changed their minds though and are doing behind the scenes.

Orlando is supposed to be just about ready to announce that "B" will be in D3 next year, so we will see what other teams, if any, move down. Who knows there may be some PDL teams moving up. Des Moines may be one.

18. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They say they will launch with 10, so no need for that yet.

Their stated goal of 24 teams by year three seems ambitious, though.

2in10 repped this.
  19. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    This seems very unlikely when DC United and the USL just unveiled a new MLS2 team, Loudoun United, as a full USL team. It strains belief that they would announce that on July 18 while at the same time planning to demote all of the MLS2 teams.

2in10 repped this.
  20. Lewis N. Clark

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I think at the end of the year party the USL officers will use the Sounders 2 move to Tacoma as a case study: their attendance has risen from 1100 to 3400 and had almost 4800 last week. They will have nice things to say about Atlanta2, averaging 3000 in their 1st year at the suburban baseball stadium and had 3600 last week. They will urge all the other MLS2 teams to follow their leads.
    And SPR will sit in the back of the room with their arms folded giving them the stink eye.

USL wants to build up their league. SKC wants to build up their players. Two different sets of priorities. SPR should hold their matches at the new training facility and go D3. (...or they could go back to Swope Park...)

21. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There have always been conflicting priorities.

Mostly among fans.

MLS teams obviously want their "2" teams to develop players. To a lesser extent, they may be brand extensions. It is still too early to tell if the idea of using a USL team as a proving ground is cost-effective or not. Many MLS technical staffs obviously believe so. Others found it to not be worth the effort.

Fans have suddenly got this idea that optics are the most important thing. There's no more war. The war is over.

2in10 and ThePonchat repped this.
  22. Lewis N. Clark

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I don’t know if it is a “war”. But I think there is “tension”. I’ve read where USL wants to become one of the stronger d2’s worldwide (or “the strongest”, which is pretty ambitious but that’s why you set goals to stretch yourself).

Step 1: qualify for USSF d2 status. So LAGII gets out the erector set and puts more bleachers around the running track to get up to the magical 5,000 number...that even fewer people are sitting in (average attendance last year: 1200; this year: 1000). But their stadium qualifies according to d2 standards.

Step 2: if USL is serious about its stated goal as a d2 league (and knowing that they are soon going to lose “good optics” teams like Cincinnati and Nashville...and maybe Sacramento?), having 700 people watching NYRBII at Montclair State or 900 people watching SPR at a 20,000 seat venue isn’t helpful. It’s harmful to the long-range goal.

When USL brought in the MLS2’s, USL was looking to survive. With the collapse of NASL, their survival is assured. So now they seek to grow towards their long-range goals. And that’s where I think the tension builds with some of the MLS2’s. As an example: the strangeness regarding SPR’s stadium situation last year and this year. Possibly Toronto2’s move to d3, or OrlandoB’s rumored re-emergence in d3. Maybe it played a part in what happened with Montreal2 and Vancouver2. The Sounders2 move to the Tacoma baseball park. Or Houston’s relationship to RGV.

Just speculation on my part. But it seems to explain some things.

23. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? Because USL gained Indy and NC they are now out of survival mode? C'mon now.

24. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And what makes you think USL are in survival mode?

25. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never said they were in "survival mode." Just don't believe any US soccer league (or club) is ever really "safe."

MLS franchises lose millions yearly. USL franchises are probably the same, just scaled back. NASL lost millions. Add into the USL woes, they have lost some of their bigger fanbases almost every time MLS expands (Orlando, Seattle, Portland, Vancouver, Montreal, Cincinnati, Nashville). They fill those with North Carolina, Indianapolis, Birmingham, El Paso, ABQ, Hartford, Austin (failed twice before), a few MLS 2/B sides.

They've had 6 franchises fold since 2015. That's not exactly "safe" zone.

2in10 repped this.