USL-1 expansion

Discussion in 'USL Expansion' started by WhiteStar Warriors, Mar 18, 2009.

1. zidja

zidja Member

Jul 26, 2006
    the logo and site definitely smell like some business students whipped it up in Powerpoint right before turning in their project to the professor. However if they are really in this for the long haul, then I'm sure they upgrade that stuff soon. I hope they can build/use a facility in Brooklyn or Queens before too long. Minus the paint on the ground and location, the blueprints of the hofstra stadium could make a decent USL facility
    [​IMG]

2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Looks a lot better than when Pele played there....

3. Erik S

Erik S Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did Holt say anything about 2010 expansion possibly Orlando and/or St. Louis yesterday at the press conference? And does anybody know anything about either of the possible clubs? I know Pachuca is looking like the number one possibility of Orlando right now based off what I have heard from the Orlando supporters. New information concerning Orlando and St. Louis would be nice?

4. AdamSoucie

AdamSoucie New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pachuca is only the #1 option because USL is doing backflips at their command to let them in the league. If it was up to us, they'd stay in Mexico. FC Orlando's plan is far superior based on the information I've been given.

5. Erik S

Erik S Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Then someone from the FC Orlando group needs to get in touch with Holt and let him know what the fans in Orlando want. That way Pachuca can look elsewhere, maybe they could hook up with San Antonio, 2 for 1.

6. AdamSoucie

AdamSoucie New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trust me, they have. I've sent several emails to Holt. The problem is Pachuca is big and shiny and has lots of money. USL loves them and will do just about anything to have them involved.

The problem is the fans are the ones that will get screwed. Every indiciation so far is that Pachuca only cares about Hispanic fans. That is a huge, huge problem. I've heard they want to hidden American gems (like J.F. Torres) as well. They don't deserve our players if they don't care about our fans.

I've made no secret of my dislike of Pachuca for this reason. I'll say again that I invite anyone connected with the Pachuca Orlando bid to contact me and prove me wrong. I started the Orlando Soccer Supporters Club (originally the Orlando Tuzos Supporters Club) to support Pachuca Orlando. The fact that no one in Orlando has been contacted by them tells you how much they care.

If you'd like to help us keep Pachuca out, and boost FC Orlando's chances, go to http://www.orlandosoccersupporters.com/home.html and read the letter from Mark Dillon, head of FC Orlando. If you like what he has to say, write an email to Tim Holt and let him know you want FC Orlando in charge of the Orlando team, and that you want Orlando in the USL in 2010 or 2011.

7. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But isn't this the problem Adam? FCO doesn't have the money yet, otherwise they would pay the $750k-$1m for a franchise then the race is done.

I know FCO has lots of plans and has a lot of potential partnerships, but when it comes down to it, FCO doesn't have the money yet and Pachuca does. Hence why USL is still talking to Pachuca.

8. AdamSoucie

AdamSoucie New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I understand, the money is set. USL gave Pachuca first right of refusal, so Mark can't move forward until Pachuca officially passes on the Orlando market.

9. Erik S

Erik S Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I hope one of the groups can come into an agreement soon so that Orlando will be able to play in USL1 next year.

10. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I would like to personally thank the fine folks at FC Orlando for my first good laugh of the day. Their home page has a banner that reads: SUPPORTING PRO SOCCER IN ORLANDO SINCE 2009

Establishing the tradition early?:confused:

11. AdamSoucie

AdamSoucie New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's so wrong with that? And btw, it's been that way for 2 months.

12. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every tradition starts somewhere. I'm sure people were laughing in 1889 when The Football League formed.

13. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nobody laughed in 1889. Have you seen any pictures from that time period?

[​IMG]

That's understandable given all the craziness that was going on during that era:

[​IMG]

14. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course they wouldn't be laughing in pictures. Back then, you had to hold a pose for like 10 minutes to get a photograph taken.

15. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Why can nobody take a good rib here? I know tongue-in-cheek doesn't come across real well. But still.

I really like the Orlando Supporters badge, its better than the NYC team logo by far. You put 2009 on there, which is great. I like crests with dates.

The banner on the website just struck me as a bit odd. Its like if I said I have been hungry for bacon and eggs since this morning and it is only 9:30am. Follow me?

Hey, you have a great website there, should be proud. Here in Tampa, we can't even agree what to call ourselves yet. All in due time

16. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was trying more for not-so-serious banter. If I were offended, you'd know it.

I should've included the comment that the guy in the middle of the 1880s photo looks like they stood up a corpse. :p

17. AdamSoucie

AdamSoucie New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry about that. I was visiting my parents for a few days and you caught me at a bad moment.

I want to establish a sense of lasting and tradition with the group. The other tagline I use in my OSSC emails is "Supporting the Beautiful Game in the City Beautiful," but it doesn't fit well on the banner.

Luckily I have Photoshop now, so I'll be able to make the tweaks to the banner and the badge soon. No major changes, but I can finally fix the text wrapping style.

18. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, the group that has become FCO has been involved and supporting pro, amateur and youth soccer in Orlando for around 20 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ajax_Orlando_Prospects

http://www.orlandofc.net

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orlando_Lions

19. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    This is in all seriousness, because I would love to be able to make a two hour ride to support the Rowdies on a road trip, but I hope their latest venture is more successful than either the Lions or Ajax ventures.

20. AdamSoucie

AdamSoucie New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we're positioned for a lot more success, with the right ownership that is. Knowing what Dillon went through with those other situations, he'd have to be a fool to put himself in that kind of position again. As far as I can tell, he's no fool.

21. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well he (Dillon) has associated himself with a very local and very respectable Super Y club in Orlando FC. http://supery.uslsoccer.com/teams/club/1341623.html

The trick now is how strong the FCO connections are to the Euro-investors that have been mentioned.

22. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+