USL-1 expansion

Discussion in 'USL Expansion' started by WhiteStar Warriors, Mar 18, 2009.

1. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So who's next: a announcement will be held in 30 days....

St. Louis, NYC, or Orlando

In several weeks, the Austin Aztex will make their USL-1 debut followed in the 2010 season by the Tampa Bay Rowdies and at least one other franchise to be announced within the next 30 days

2. opal347

opal347 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 18, 2005
    Clinton Twp, MI
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would bet it's NY, what with the leak last week and all.

Orlando still can't figure out which club will be representing the city, and St. Louis's MLS situation is as of right now unresolved.

3. FranklinMiner11

FranklinMiner11 New Member

Sep 29, 2008
    El Paso
    Club:
    El Paso Patriots
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bring back the El Paso Patriots

4. WaikikiBallersSC

WaikikiBallersSC New Member

Mar 20, 2008
    Waikiki
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You just beat me to the punch!! or is it Post..

its time for people to think that USL is on the slide with so many teams leaving now and later (Mont) and even more long term Rhinos and Minn (dont laugh they got the good just not the cash yet compare them to St.L)

Tampa & Orlando could actually help to save Miami from going USL-2 or even shutting down (but thats a different post) Point being there will be lots of teams in USL 1 next year look for USL2 to go west. with that said look at this info:

EXPANSION

• NY FC 2010
    http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_...othing-to-do-with-major-league-soccers-p.html

• St. Louis Lions 2010
    • Orlando 2010
    • Crystal Palace Baltimore 2010
    • Hamilton, Ontario 2011
    New tenant for Pan Am stadium?
    Pasted from <http://www.thespec.com/article/519974>

POSSIBLE
    Oklahoma:
    The United Soccer League is considering Edmond
    Pasted from <http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=330891622&blogID=356859387>

Omaha
    Phoenix
    San Antonio.
    Victoria:
    Pasted from <http://www2.canada.com/victoriatime....html?id=6ec7b4ba-28cb-4924-b299-bced60cac3c2>

ok there are no confirmations .. but like other post say.. if u cant go MLS go USL. Look for CAnadian teams to try to get in on it .. so that they can compete for there own cup and a chance to be like the Impact.

5. Erik S

Erik S Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think if Austin has success this year, you can count on a team in San Antonio by 2011. I think St. Louis will have a team in 2010. Orlando and Hamilton in 2011.

6. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

Inter Miami CF, Junior de Barranquilla
    United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I can say that Miami FC will play this year, and that for expansion I think it will be FC NYC and Orlando. That would make for a good rivalry against Tampa.. both teams New yoricans and Orlando Ricans vs PR Islanders, also Miami with New York they always have rivalry in any sport. I also feel that since the MLS took over the NW rivalry, USL could bring in a more fierce SE rivalry with Miami, Tampa, Orlando (big three) and PR Islanders......:D

Can't wait to see my Miami FC this season, and lokoing forward to the U.S. Open Cup!! Glorioso Azul Miami FC!!

7. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we learned anything from FCB Miami, it's that leaks mean nothing.

8. WaikikiBallersSC

Mar 20, 2008
    Waikiki
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually make a BIG mistake in my last post... I meant to say People should stop thinking that USL is on the slide.. they are gonna grow big time by snatching the best of the PDL and Canada... If and when Canada expands its Championship more teams will want to be USL 1 or 2 teams.. they may jstu start in USL 2

9. WaikikiBallersSC

Mar 20, 2008
    Waikiki
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    Don't forget the possibility of Detroit.

11. adoptedsooner

adoptedsooner Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Norman
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We were close last year. It will just take some more effort and maybe a better economy. That's how the interested owner types are around here. But teams in El Paso, San Antonio and maybe even Phoenix would help.

I talked to someone down there about it last year and they said the team would be looking into it. Don't know how that's going though.

12. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You also predicted yesterday that the next two MLS teams would be Portland and St. Louis, and that Vancouver would follow a year later.

You made this prediction AFTER Vancouver was already announced to be the next team in.

I think I'll take your further predictions with a block of salt. I can't even figure out what you're trying to say because you constantly contradict yourself.

13. FranklinMiner11

FranklinMiner11 New Member

Sep 29, 2008
    El Paso
    Club:
    El Paso Patriots
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they want to get back up to USL 1 but the stadium they play in i dont think is sufficient enough water wise. The old place they used to play at was great but they were forced to move after the refused them to sell beer...and that is a big cash flow here in el paso

14. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Call me crazy, but I think the loss of the West coast teams may actually increase expansion interest in the east coast and mid west. Because they will no longer have that expense to go out west.

15. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hadn't really thought of it that way. I have been thinking that Portland and Vancouver moving up would make things easier on the teams that are already there. They just need to hold on for a couple years.

16. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a crazy idea, but by 2015 MLS will have 20 teams and will probably stop expansion. USL-1 probably the same. then for the good of soccer MLS and USL should talk about merging. USL-1 becomes MLS-2 and every team should have a SSS and a $10-15 million dollar working budget. of course with pro/reg. if a MLS-2 team is champion they advance to MLS and pay a $15 million dollar expansion fee.

17. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your right that's a crazy idea. :D Step away from the pro/rel discussion, step away from the discussion. :p

18. WaikikiBallersSC

Mar 20, 2008
    Waikiki
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ok again looks like people in cleveland cannot read or have short attention span.. READ THE ENTIRE POST FIRST before you comment.. thanks.... who know just by paying attention maybe your city may get a real team and " Mr. Price is Right" CArrey would have stayed around ..

i do agree with the last post .. again USL is not on the outs .. but getting bigger andso will soccer in our country

19. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice ad hominem, or ad urbanus maybe in this case. They way you type, spell, etc. and you're accusing me of not being able to read? Yeah, we have a real team. It's in the freaking USL 1, which is the division that this thread happens to be about. So, if Cleveland doesn't have a "real team" then you've pretty much insulted everyone in this thread and forum.

I'm sorry though, did I misread your incorrect predictions? Did I misread when you constantly contradict yourself, sometimes within a few minutes of posting? Did I misread where you predicted that a team wouldn't be an expansion team after the announcement had already been made? Maybe I'm just confused because you can't properly use the built in forum quote function and do some weird copypasta of your own with a link.

I suppose my first comment was an ad hominem as well. So sue me. I don't know why I even bothered because it's clear that you have no clue what you're talking about and you don't have very good communication skills. But I'm not going to blame it on you being Hawaiian, because I've known several intelligent, well-read people from Hawaii.

I can imagine why you got so defensive though, the truth hurts.

20. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I hope either English is not your first language or you only have four and a half fingers to type with.

21. Chef Medeski

Chef Medeski Member

Sep 25, 2008
    NYC
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I'm amazed no teams were announced for the west. But I guess it make sense, I mean when you have Vancouver, Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, LA has two, even have Colorado and Salt Lake, relatively smaller cities. Only cities missing are Sacramento, Phoenix, and maybe Calgary if you want to push (even though I don't think they'll be getting a team for awhile).

I think the Highlanders are holding on their USL-1 ambitions cause they realize, they'll be the only ones in the far far, north-west. Without even being a major city, which is easy to get too (you'd have to fly to vancouver then drive to victoria) I think they won't be able to overcome the costs. Its not even that big of a city.

But if its true about NY, that would be a huge increase on the East. Plus with St. Louis/Orlando/Atlanta looking to come into the League. It would get MUCH cheaper to fly around and you could start seeing a lot of rivalries. Maybe this is the only way for USL-1 to succeed? Its not a terrible thing. I mean most leagues in Europe aren't this size. Just the East and Mid-west are like the size of France and Germany put together. So, let's go regional, lowering costs, driving up interest in rivals and thus teams, and be more successful. I like it.

The only problem is if MLS doesn't stop. They still seem to have room for 2-6 more teams, 2 we could manage. But they could add 6 in my opinion plus with wiggle room for moving 2 teams, KC and Chivas, we could see them easily encroach on the nicer potential cities in the USL, NY-2, MTL, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Atlanta. I mean, I think they have enough and should pause. I don't know of any team willing to pay $40 million, hell Vancouver didn't even pay that much. They paid $35. Now could they go around a year later and sell a team for $30 million? I'm sure some of the owners would be pissed. I don't think they'll be able unless they just squeeze in two more. I just hope they stop there. We can have two pretty good leagues, with 18 and 16 teams or we can have a league with 24 and a beleaguered one with 10. Its not necessary to crush all competition, clearly its better to have a place to go for smaller cities to support soccer.

22. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Nothing we didn't already know, EXCEPT the little tidbit at the end from Tim Holt about the USL is committed to staying a coast to coast league.

Do they do random drug testing for the dudes on that show and for Tim Holt (USL)?

The anti-MLS, pro-USL rhetoric is just ridiculous. MLS (or the MLS as they called it at times) is the top league in this country hands down. You can get as high as you like and that fact is not going to change.

The USL champion should get a CCL berth? WHY? MLS is the first division league. End of discussion.

24. Chef Medeski

Chef Medeski Member

Sep 25, 2008
    NYC
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate when leagues cling on to ambitions for no reasons. What the Sacremento Seals are going to jump to USL-1 now? Like come on.... theres no major city left on the other coast!

Don't go to a city just cause its in the West. I mean they have EVEN salt lake city, where would we have to go, Kitsap?

25. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See I don't understand their Us against them mentality, but as a Tampa fan I am bitter that MLS screwed us, that's why it should make every Tampa fan stronger for our team the Tampa Bay Rowdies in 2010. Everybody thinks that way if you don't have a MLS team in their city, if Rochester went to MLS they would be singing a different tune on their radio show