USF 1 @FIU 0 Season opener

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by HowieP, Aug 26, 2006.

1. HowieP

HowieP Member

Apr 26, 2006
    Claessens Leads No. 9 Bulls To 1-0 Win Over Golden Panthers
    Courtesy: USF

Release: 08/25/2006

Joris Claessens Scores First Goal of the Season

MIAMI, Fla. (August 25, 2006) – A header by sophomore Joris Claessens led the No. 9-ranked University of South Florida men’s soccer team (1-0-0) to a 1-0 victory over in-state rival Florida International (0-1-0) on Friday, Aug. 25 at University Park.

The 22nd-minute goal by the Orlando, Fla., native gave the Bulls their fourth season-opening victory in the last five years. On a corner kick by midfielder Kevon Neaves, Claessens headed the ball towards the back post past goalkeeper Shawn Crowe to give USF to 1-0 advantage. The goal was the first of the season for Claessens and the fourth of his career. Neaves was credited with his first assist of the season on the goal.

Goalkeeper Dane Brenner registered four saves en route to his 28th-career victory and 13th shutout as a Bull. The clean sheet was the first-ever for the High Point, N.C., native over the Golden Panthers.

USF out-shot FIU 15-8, holding the Golden Panthers to just four shots on net. Sophomore Jordan Seabrook (last year’s team leader in shots) continued where he left off from his Freshman All-American season, leading all USF players with six shots (three on frame). Form the match USF kept Crowe busy registering seven shots on the senior goalkeeper. Following a fairly even match through the first 45 minutes, USF dominated the Golden Panthers, out-shooting the team from Miami, 10-3, in the second half.

The win marks the 11th all-time over FIU and gives head coach George Kiefer 42 for his career.

USF will head home to the USF Soccer Stadium to face the Fordham Rams on Sunday, Aug. 27, kicking off the home portion of the 2006 season. Game time is 7:30 p.m.

http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7700&ATCLID=575607

2. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I'm not tryin' to be a dick, but this isn't how we post results on BigSoccer.

Just write the names of the teams playing with an R in parenthesis to indicate a result, UAB-Notre Dame (r), for example.

Don't put the score in the title thread and don't have a headline that indicates or implies a result for a particular team.

Once you're posting in the thread, you can write whatever the hell kind of smack talk suits your fancy, but keep the results out of the thread.

I realize most college games aren't on TV, but more and more are and you never know and this is a long-standing BS policy.

3. HowieP

HowieP Member

Apr 26, 2006
    Re: USF @FIU Season opener

Thanks for letting me know.

BTW, since you asked in another thread whether Hidalgo will be playing due to his recent injury, I just wanted to let you know that he came in as a substitute last night. The entire release shows that.

4. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge New Member

Jan 6, 2003
    SoCal
    Another point about posting results. Most of us with an interest in the college game pick up our results at: http://scoreboard.nscaa.com/

It is only news if there is something to add to the write up on the teams website.

5. UConnRadioKid

UConnRadioKid New Member

Apr 25, 2005
    Hartford, CT, USA
    Tip: If you want to post USF info, change the thread title to "USF 2006 Thread [R]". Then you'll be able to keep all the USF stuff in one place.

That said, I echo CuriousGeorge's prior statement on results.

6. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    Please do post information about USF. The team has several USMNT and MLS prospects that many of us want to follow their progress.