Use The 35 Yard Shootout To Resolve 0-0 Draws

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by DaveBrett, Oct 21, 2020.

1. DaveBrett

DaveBrett Member

Nov 28, 1998
    Austin, Texas
    As most soccer fans know, the NASL used the 35 yard shootout to resolve draws. MLS also used the shootout the first four years of the league. There has been a lot of talk lately about the shootout. Some people like it, some don't. Here is a great article about the history of the 35 yard shootout: https://www.whatahowler.com/twice-a-great-notion/

Here is an idea... why not use the shootout only to resolve 0-0 draws? Games that end 1-1, 2-2, 3-3, etc. would still end in a draw. But 0-0 games would yield a winner and a loser in the shootout.

I've seen what fans look like after watching a 0-0 draw. Most fans look disappointed. They look like the game let them down. Resolving 0-0 draws in an exciting way would be good for the game in this country.

2. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No.

Anything else?

3. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Tried and rejected, I'm afraid. It was kind of stupid, took longer, had basically the same results and was somehow even more boring.

4. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Surely a golden goal would be more appropriate.

I'm not sure FIFA would like it though. I'm not sure most fans would. I'm sure a lot of people who look back fondly hated shootouts at the time.

We don't want to regress to standings looking like this:
    Screenshot_20201206-024350_Chrome.jpg