Use Of The F.C. Dallas Name

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by BurnFanToo, Nov 5, 2004.

1. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

Columbus Crew (hometown), Minnesota United (close ties), Colorado Rapids (now home), Jacksonville Armada (ties)
    United States
    May 9, 2003
    Ashtabula, OH / Denver, CO / MN / Jax
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is really sad that HSG had to rip off a name from a youth team though.

Seriously.

2. ViperSlauger

ViperSlauger New Member

Oct 19, 2004
    Redding, CA
    Ripped off a name? Do you really think they looked around and decided to rip off a youth team's name? Seriously?

As we've read before, they wanted an international feel to the new name. It just so happens one of the local clubs in Dallas has the same name. I think it's lucky for that local club...which isn't all that big and well known for them to have the same name as the MLS team. Hopefully, they can work something out together.

3. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the chance of that being the reason they went with FC Dallas is a lot closer to none than slim.

Is it possibly unfortunate if there is some sort of problem? Sure. But as much as youth soccer might want to make of itself, it isn't MLS. They will just have to deal.

Reality is, though, I would imagine that they might like the correlation - and might want to work on using it to their advantage.

4. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Don't you dare insult the good meal of fish and chips like that. If you must insult the paper, maybe it came from Ibrox. ;)

5. jeffenbauer

jeffenbauer Member

Jul 17, 2002
    dallas, tx
    My uncle's name is Harold, does that count?

6. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Is he related to the guy who started Harolds in London, the really posh place?

7. jeffenbauer

jeffenbauer Member

Jul 17, 2002
    dallas, tx
    Yea, and everyone there is crazy about becks.

8. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Ask him if he'll buy FC Dalloas from HSG then.

9. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

Columbus Crew (hometown), Minnesota United (close ties), Colorado Rapids (now home), Jacksonville Armada (ties)
    United States
    May 9, 2003
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not saying they took the name BECAUSE the youth team had the name, genius.

But yes, they did look around, knew that a youth team had the name, and decided they wanted it anyways. That is ripping off.
    Yeah, it's the youth team's fault that they didn't protect the name, so it is technically fair game, but very tacky by HSG.
    That is unless the youth team is totally incorporated/bought/managed by FCD96.

10. theodore

theodore Member

Nov 7, 2003
    I would love to be the arbitrator. I could impart a Solomonic judgement steeped in poetic justice. It would be too funny if HSG had to change the word "football" to "futbol". I would love to see the looks on the faces at the HSG board room if a decree came down that they had to change their team's name to Mexican as in "Futbol Club de Dallas".

I could see old man Lamar clenching his teeth shaking his fist and uttering: "Ay caramba"!!!

11. ViperSlauger

ViperSlauger New Member

Oct 19, 2004
    Redding, CA
    Ripped off is such a strong phrase. Your position on this doesn't make sense. I'm sure HSG/LH picked a team name they liked the most and with sound reasoning. It just so happens that a local youth club had the same name. I doubt they meant any harm to the local team. Do you think that should change HSG's mind as to what they want their Major League Franchise to be named? Doubt it.

Also, based on your comments, it sounds as if you were part of the decision making team? If you were, I apologize as you know more than I.

12. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey Chief, it already does stand for Futbol.

FC Dallas fact sheet

Now what have you got to say?

13. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

United States
    May 9, 2003
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a fan; not part of any decision making.
    However, I think there were many ways to go, and again, the Burn name did need some work.
    If I am able to make it to the THM, I may ask exactly what their "sound reasoning" was, but I'd probably get a corporate answer anyways.
    Hell, they could have called them the Dallas Tornados (while their are DFW Tornados & Texas Tornado local sports teams, they are slightly different and HSG has the history) or something. It was after all Dallas' soccer name before (-s); I'd be quite a bit more in favor of that.
    And I'll be honest that I would not be all that fond of the name anyways, but when it was basically taken from a youth team, i just think how sad it is that a "professional" organization, which my money goes to, does that. Malice intent or not, they knew the youth setup was there (isn't the youth setup a decent organization in terms of visability anyways?), and they knew exactly what they were doing.
    The fact that a decently sized youth setup already had the name should have affected HSG's decision IMHO, and it would have been more of an issue if they had protected it.
    Sorry if that is all too blunt, but....i think ripped off is spot on.
    Again, if they are incorporating/managining/buying/etc the youth team, then this may be a moot point, although it's still not the best name IMO.

14. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No insult at all just the opposite. I did not want to infer that your are the "spokesperson" for the franchise. You go through some lengths to be objective on issues and my comment "the herald for FC Dallas" could have been misunderstood. :)

15. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we are on the same page then I took it the way you meant it then.

Thanks.

16. theodore

theodore Member

Nov 7, 2003
    Well, a front page retraction is in order. Who'd of thought it.

As to the lingering question of how to resolve the controversy, what about the Dallas FC Dallas keeping its name, while the Frisco FC Dallas going by the name Frisco FC?

Alternately, clubs commonly use different geographic references. For example the Dallas Texans are called the Dallas Texans Arlington to distinguish the fact that some of their teams are far removed from Dallas. "FC Dallas Frisco" might be a better way to go. As an attempt to sell futbol to the Friscovites begins, they might relate better to a home town reference.

17. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    I disagree it is common in US professional sports for the geographical name of a team to be that of the larger urban area the team represents and not necessarily that of the smaller town it actually plays in. The Detroit Pistons do not play in Detroit. The NY Giants and Jets don't play in NYC, or the state of New York even. The Dallas Cowboys haven't played in Dallas for 30 odd years or so. The Galaxy don't play in LA.