USAF - Offensive Soccer Ad

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by Pyro, Nov 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pyro

Pyro Member

Apr 18, 2000
    Fulton River District
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The United States Air Force has a commercial out that shows a latin family sitting around watching soccer, but the picture is going in and out. So their daughter climbs up to the roof and fixes it and it ends by saying "we are looking for a few people like you."

However, during the ad, a chunky little kid is sitting in front of the TV wearing a freakin' MEXICAN National Team jersey!!

I know the thing was aimed at the latin market, BUT as an American soccer fan I'm pissed that our military would put a kid in a Mexico National Team jersey in the commercial! They must not realize what level of spite many people who wear that jersey feel for the US. (or at least the US soccer team!)

2. Slim Pickins

Slim Pickins Member

Jun 24, 2000
    Portland, Oregon
    It doesn't bother me, because as far as I'm concerned there's no connection between the US government/military and US Soccer. That's why I can wholeheartedly support the USMNT despite the fact that we illegally invaded Iraq.

3. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mexicans could gripe because the family in question did not have cable or satellite.

At least the son had a soccer jersey on, instead of a jersey from another sport.

4. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    I feel dumber just having read this thread.

5. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did I hear correctly that the family in question was ticked off that they couldn't watch every MLS playoff game on regular TV?

6. clashcityrocker

Mar 12, 1999
    In the shadow of RFK
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    They were Galaxy fans, pissed at the TV for the signal going out in the 89th minute during last Sunday's game.

7. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Actually, then they would've gone to bed happy. :D

8. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    Actually, they did. Angela uses a mathematical instrument, like a compass or something, to reposition the satellite. They did one with X-treme athletes riding those luges down a winding road somewhere. The message is: "We've been waiting for you."

9. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I second that, in fact I am going to press the off button right now.

10. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ad with a Positive Soccer Spin

In Washington, they're playing a radio ad that talks about how hard it is to train for and succeed at the World Cup. They go on about practicing, working together and succeeding to be the best in the world. Then, they talk about the team at a local hospital and how, since they perform more procedures X than any other hospital, they're the best there is. I was surprised and impressed that they chose soccer for the analogy.

11. dcrpoop

dcrpoop BigSoccer Yellow Card

Dec 15, 2000
    Hell'sKitchen is my
    "It doesn't bother me, because as far as I'm concerned there's no connection between the US government/military and US Soccer. That's why I can wholeheartedly support the USMNT despite the fact that we illegally invaded Iraq."

Can someone please send this guy to NYC so that he can learn what a true beat down is.

12. Parkhead_Faithful

Parkhead_Faithful New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland

Send you to Baghdad, which is in Iraq, which is a country which had nothing to do with september 11th you braindead hick.

13. CarlosE

CarlosE Member

Dec 13, 2000
    Calvert County, MD
    Re: Re: USAF - Offensive Soccer Ad

You call him a braindead hick, after "Slim Pickins" posts a political statement in the "business and media section"?

First of all, you as a moderator should know that personal attacks are subject to castigation.

Secondly, I doubt that you know for sure that there is not connection between Al Quaida and Saddam's regime. You make it sound like you have actually had a chat with Hussein and Bin Laden and have the real "scoop". I bet you are also going to tell us that Saddam had nothing to do with gassing 10's of thousands of his own people, you'll probably also state that he was framed when Iraq invaded another sovereign country in Kuwait. Lastly, you'll probably declare that Hussein did not violate U.N. inspection decree after inspection decree and made a mockery of what is the U.N.

I suppose we should have just let this guy cause havoc and murder until either he has murdered millions or it's too late to do anything about it. Just like Europe and U.S. did when they allowed Hitler & Co. to invade country after country, when they allowed him to break League of Nations' decree after decree, when they allowed him to continue to murder Jews from his own country and beyond.

Who's the "braindead hick"?

Oh, shouldn't a moderator know to either move this thread to the "politics" forum or tell the posters to stay on subject? Are you a real mod? Will you get punished for your personal attack?

Bigsoccer posters want to know.

14. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Two things I know for sure:

1) No matter what a stripper says, here is no sex in the champagne room.

2) There is no discussion of war and the like in B&M. Take it to Politics.

Closed.