USA x BRAZIL : Retrospective

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by SoccerScout, Jan 3, 2006.

1. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Internacional Porto Alegre
    Does anyone know where I can find the scores of the last say 10 or so Brazil vs USA matches? I suspect that in most Brazil didnt get more than a 1 x 0 or so...but would like to verify that...thanks in advance...

2. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The USA and Brazil have played 13 times according to eloratings.net (friendlies or friendly tournaments unless otherwise specified):

Code:
    08/17/30	Brazil 4:3 USA		in Brazil
    05/28/76	USA 0:2 Brazil		in USA
    02/26/92	Brazil 3:0 USA		in Brazil
    08/02/92	USA 0:1 Brazil		in USA
    06/06/93	USA 0:2 Brazil		in USA
    07/04/94	USA 0:1 Brazil		in USA (World Cup)
    07/20/95	Brazil 1:0 USA		in Uruguay (Copa America)
    01/18/96	USA 0:1 Brazil		in USA (Gold Cup)
    02/10/98	USA 1:0 Brazil		in USA (Gold Cup)
    07/28/99	Brazil 1:0 USA		in Mexico (Confed Cup)
    03/03/01	USA 1:2 Brazil		in USA
    06/21/03	Brazil 1:0 USA		in France (Confed Cup)
    07/23/03	USA 1:2 Brazil (aet)	in USA (Gold Cup)

9 of the last 10, and 10 of 13 all-time, have been decided by one goal.

3. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty good statistics for the US

4. bobo81

bobo81 Member

Nov 17, 2005
    Ciudad De Dios
    You know this proves my point...USA just didnt get good at the WC2002. Remember WC94? They played Brazil and did pretty good actually. They were a threat. But of course the US didnt raise heads til 2002.

5. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    that WC 1994 game was ugly.Brazil had 10 men against 11 and the USA still could not get a touch.We sucked, were embarrassingly bad.PLease do not be fooled by the score.

6. VOwithwater

VOwithwater New Member

Oct 17, 2005
    We were never in the 94 game. We had maybe one bad scoring chance even though the game went 0-1 Brazil. You can dominate a team bad and only win 1-0.

The real point is keep the game close and if you catch a break or get a goal you can draw or even win.

7. Shackleton

Shackleton New Member

Sep 13, 2005
    N. Texas
    I would not be pleased if we have a 1-12 record in our next 13 games with Brazil. Especially since we had 8 home games, 2 away, and 3 at neutral venues. In the one win, IIRC, we were also dominated by Brazil, but Keller had the game of his life. A Brazilian (Romario?) said it was the best game he had ever seen from a GK and that it was an honor to play on the same field with Keller.

But, I do see your point. We haven't been embarrassed playing Brazil. The record certainly suggests that we do not suck like some seem to think (and the record covers a time period when we were admittedly not as good as we are now). I just think we can do better in the future.

8. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Because we've played not to be embarrassed, rather than play an attacking game and go down in flames like Costa Rica did in '02.

The trouble is, playing not to be embarrassed almost always means a loss, because the U.S. is unlikely to score and Brazil almost never is shut out.

We have demonstrated that we can lose with dignity against Brazil, but so far no more than that.

9. Shackleton

Shackleton New Member

Sep 13, 2005
    N. Texas
    You can look up the historical record of any team at http://www.fifa.com/en/mens/results/resultsdetails.html and tailor your search by opponent, date, and type of match.

You can also look up a team's record at http://www.eloratings.net/ but you cannot run specific searches, like on the FIFA site.

Note, ELO includes a few more games than what FIFA deems official in their historical data base.

10. Shackleton

Shackleton New Member

Sep 13, 2005
    N. Texas
    I'm not sure we've always played not to be embarrassed (at least for most of the games I can recall). I think of that style of play as almost giving up any opportunity of attack and bunkering down on defense from the beginning.

We certainly have played conservatively, but the USA almost never plays an attacking game against a quality opponent. I'd characterize our play against Brazil as defensive, but willing to counterattack, rather than simply packing the defense and hoping to keep the score close. Unfortunately, with Brazil, we just haven't been good enough to make this strategy successful very often, even though I think it's a better way to go against Brazil (at least for the USA) than the Costa Rican way. To me, there's a subtle but important difference there, even if it's one of degree than kind. Then again, perhaps I'm just quibbling. :)

Agree.

Agree. Regardless of any quibbling about the style of our play against Brazil, this is indeed the bottom line.

11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    So until our victory in 1998, we hadn't scored on Brazil in 68 years. In fact we've gotten only 6 goals total; 3 of those in a game in 1930. This is complete and total domination by Brazil. The previous poster was correct about our one victory. That game was won due to Kasey Keller, period. Trivia question: Who scored the only game-winning goal vs. Brazil?

12. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    preki

13. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Off a typical Preki "cut-back and shoot" move too.

14. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    No, you're correct. Your description was more accurate than mine.

15. kingjackdaniel

Jul 16, 2004
    Dyer, IN
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or in the case of US vs Germany, you can dominate the whole game and lose by one!

16. gherter

gherter Member

Sep 16, 2002
    Leesburg, Virginia
    IIRC, the 99 confed cup game was Brazil's under-21 team. I remember rooting for them in the final because if they won, the US would have gotten to play again for the championship with Mexico. Mex won, tho.

17. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wrong tournament, wrong team. That was the 2003 Gold Cup, and it was Brazil's U-23 team, not U-21.

18. VOwithwater

VOwithwater New Member

Oct 17, 2005
    Left footed shot moving to his left from the guy from KC forget his name.

19. Elliott

Elliott Member

Oct 28, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    We were definitely out our league in 94. However; Ramos played one of the best halves of football ever played by an american until he was shamefully assalted. Its just makes me sick that we didn't have a team that could make Brazil pay for it.

20. Shibb

Shibb Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just amazed that we were able to hang, 0:2, with any Brazillian team in 1976.

That 3:4 loss in 1930 in Brazil is an interesting one as well, although IIRC Brazil had not yet gained their status as the dominant force in football and Uruguary were the team back then. Too bad soccer didn't take hold back then -- we'd have won a couple of World Cups by now and footie instead of pointy ball would probably be the dominant game in the USA.

21. WALDO

WALDO Member

Feb 20, 2005
    BURBANK
    One game I remember we outplayed Brazil and lost was the Confed's Cup game down in Mexico. Our defense played nearly flawless and I think Brazil only had one good scoring chance, unfortunately Ronaldinho made it. USA, even had a penalty kick, and unfortunately the reliable Joe-Max Moore missed it. And yes, we had a lot of scoring chances.

22. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i have to wholeheartedly agree with this, as much as it pains me to say so.....