USA vs Sweden [R]

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Femfa, Sep 21, 2003.

1. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    What a game! I just realized on some BS postings that a few aren't getting it, even though it's on ABC in most places.

The score is 2 -1 in favor of the States.

Chastain is injured.

Lots of back and forth.

67the minute.

2. Soccerski

Soccerski Member

Dec 2, 2000
    Georgetown, CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there a Match Tracker?

3. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
  4. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    Brandi's absense was felt. Older yes. But can there be doubt now that she is a stabalizing force back there?

Can the talk about how the veterans are too old to cut it be put aside? Down the stretch they were the ones who kept it together.

5. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    The vets are cutting the mustard, especially on the set pieces, but they are a step slow.

Sweden looks less skilled, but is faster for sure.

6. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    It's a little sad to see the Bend it like Beckham clips, since the girls there dream of playing in the WUSA, and now it's gone.

7. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I noticed this too. There is a fine line between being experienced and being old. The strong finish by the Nats was encouraging.

8. divingheader

divingheader Member

Nov 10, 2001
    St John, NB, Canada
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lucky win for the USA, IMHO.

Its a whole different game if the ref had had a square view of Scurry submarining the swedish striker in the first few minutes. The ref was trailing the play and saw the challenge as only late. Scurry was way late, and more significantly, totally off the line of the ball, she went entirely for the player. A straight red.

I think that with only 10 on the field the US sits back and the match is at best a scoreless tie.

9. Football Ronin

May 13, 2002
    Oregon, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like a great game. I can't watch it here yet. Clearly ABC feels that Portland, Oregon doesn't watch soccer. The World Cup game this morning was preempted by ABC for a gardening show and paid programming. Yes instead of great soccer we were treated to Vanessa Williams hocking zit cream. I would accept this if ABC felt the game was to early, and was delaying it for a more attractive time, and they have delayed it to a different time: 2:05am. That's right 2:05 am. At least that's what the message that scrolled across the bottom of the screen during the zit cream program. Not worth disrupting that paid programming for. Just disgusting, two of the players Milbrett and MacMillan even have ties to the Portland area.

10. TracieB

TracieB Member

Oct 2, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Were you watching the game? Did you see the replay? It looked like if Scurry touched her at all it was barely. The Sweden player made it look much worse than what it was by trying to avoid the contact. I agree though it was a stupid play on Scurry's part, but definitely not a red!

11. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

:rolleyes:

12. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    i would like welcome you to the "idiot post of the month" semi-finals...

13. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    deddddeeeedd

Up here in Pittsburgh, we lost the first 20 or so minutes of it because some sitcom with Raven Simone was on. I was furious. This is the one fixture of any that I wanted to see. The part I did see was well worth it, though. Good to see Boxx, Parlow and Lilly score. Good to see Sweden do pretty well, though, too. I'll be veeery curious to see what the group standings finish like.

14. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So has April been sandbagging the last two years, or very fortunate at the last minute to stumble on two new players in Boxx and Wambach who are physically dominate??

Hamm had a very nice game,and I continue to love the way Lilly plays soccer, best two way player in the world, IMO.

15. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    Scoreless draw? Lucky win? Yup your right. Completely lucky that Mia Hamm has pinpont accuracy on corners. :rolleyes:

At best a scoreless tie? That just shows how little you know of this team and that your coment is made on pure wild speculation.

RE:Scurry... Did you see the replay? If you did and looked at through objective eyes you would see it was not a red card offense. True Hanna came down hard. But because of momentum.

16. mingyung

mingyung Member

Jun 7, 1999
    This was not the game I saw. If, stress IF, Scurry did have contact with Ljunberg (sp?), it was a minor clip that happened when Ljunberg had already launched herself into the air to avoid contact. I won't quibble with a yellow but a red was certainly not warranted. On the other hand, I don't think the footrace was a good decision on Scurry's part; you are forced really to risk taking the other player out once you commit like that. Mind you, where was Sobrero on that play? Possibly a mistake on her end as well.

I thought both teams acquitted themselves well but, for me, once Lilly scored, the game result was never really in doubt. There was a period in the second half where Sweden had superior possession and were really pressing but, otherwise, the USA looked quite comfortable. The game was not the most beautiful I've seen by any means; neither team possessed well in the midfield, there was some suspect passing, and the first half was marked by nervousness. Once the subs came in, the play gopt even more scrappy, the final ten minutes were ragged. Things I took away from the game;

1) Lilly's goal was tremendous; after her last game, I am so happy to see her score such a gorgeous goal (should help her confidence and encourage her to shoot more). She had a great game on both sides of the ball.

2) Neither Pearce nor Sobrero had outstanding games, particularly in terms of providing attacking support. Did Sobrero give the Swede too much space on the Swedish goal? Nothing to hang one's head about but I think the USA misses something in its flank play if the outside backs aren't running freely up and down and serving balls in. Neither were passing very well either. part of the problem here is that the only true left back on the roster is Slaton and she has been recovering from injury. Neither Pearce and Sobrero look entirely comfortable on the left to me (come to think of it, I want Sobrero centrally raqther than on the flank at all). After a fully-fit Slaton on the left, I like Reddick.

3) Millbrett and Wagner seem off-form to me. Neither had very good touches (although Millbrett did not get very good service, it is true).

4) Fawcett, Hamm, Wambach, Lilly, Boxx (although there were a few errant passes), Parlow (before she tired) all had great games. Foudy had some moments but had a somewhat quiet game. Scurry as shot-stopper I love; Scurry as sweeper and as kicker, not so much.

5) One of the real keys to the US win was complete dominance in the air. This is what having Boxx really helps with. Having those taller players in there (all of whom have technical abilities as well) makes the US a terrifying threat on every set piece.

6) This is a very physically demanding group and I hope that Heinrichs does make use of the bench to preserve everyone's freshness. I wonder whether we will see Hucles or TR or others thrown out against Korea and Nigeria to take some of the beating. I hate to lose the height advantage but perhaps it won't matter so much aagainst those teams (especially if a 4-4-2 is used). Strategy! one of the things I love about tournaments is seeing the different styles and formations out there and the chess-game of how coaches deal with the diversity.

7) We didn't see a lot of long-ball on Sweden's end so we don't know yet how the US will cope with that. We did see enough effective Swedish flank play to be concerned (see #2).

Can't wait for the next match!

mingyung

17. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I noticed that as well, but assumed it was tactical, and that they are instructed not to commit forward as much when playing 4-3-3.

18. divingheader

divingheader Member

Nov 10, 2001
    St John, NB, Canada
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, I did watch the replay several times. Thats when I formed my opinion.

Scurry clipped her on the foot, clearly. Scurry was late, clearly. This equals a Yellow Card. From her trailing position, this is what (all) the ref saw.

Scurry was not playing the ball, she was off the line of the ball. She made foot to foot contact with the leaping player after she leaped, thus her feet were up, equalling dangerous play. That equals Red Card.

The Swede was jumping over her, rather than taking the contact with a foot the ground. A solid choice to avoid injury. But the spectacular dump had nothing to do with the foul.

Try to watch the play and not see an american and a swede. Look at the 2 players, who leaves their feet when, and where the ball is, or more importantly, isn't.

I am a USA fan. I don't know Scurry personaly, but I have enjoyed watching her play for years now. I love her game face, reminds me of the Chief (Robert Parrish). I believe my daughter got her autograph during the last WWC after a game at Foxboro. I hate to say it but it looks like to me she got beat, got frustarated and made a real stupid decision.

Idiot Post of the Month! Thats cool, Fidlerre.
    Who am I matched up with in the Semi's?
    What are my chances? Will Ladbrokes take a bet? And if I win will it help me in the FIFA rankings?

19. cl_hanley

cl_hanley New Member

Sep 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa
    Definitely disagree with this assesment. After first viewing of the replay, I thought that it didn't even deserve a card because it looked as if Scurry missed her completely and Ljungberg sold herself down the creek when she decided to go with that bizarre cartwheeling flip in midair. Whatever happened to the simple superman dive? Then I saw the replay a couple of more times, saw that there was some contact (may I emphasize slight here) that actually took place. But hey, don't punish Scurry with a red because Ljungberg hasn't learned to properly roll out of such situations. She came down like a sack of cement. She's lucky that she didn't break her arm in the process.

Yellow card was very appropriate. Nothing more.

20. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    I agree that Scurry was fortunate to get off lightly on the challenge.

Other thoughts:

-Was it Fawcett that got beaten on the header play that led to the Sweden goal?

-Is it my imagination, or did Milbrett not have a productive touch all day?

-Hard luck for Brandi. Channel 4 says it is a broken foot. Dammit.

-Hamm at times looked lost.

-The double-size formation (Parlow and The Wombat top top) was freakin' great.

-Shannon Boxx, welcome to the World Cup. Someday you will break Lilly's longevity records.

-Was it my imagination, or was Lilly's armband (during the Big Light ceremony) black instead of blue? Did she wear a WUSA black armband under the FIFA captain's band?

21. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you kidding me? How many times did the US defense "Punt" the ball away to other team? The reason the US won was b/c they were stronger and more athletic. Sweden sliced n diced the US defense in the second half.

The United States will not be the best in the world within 10 years if they dont make some drastic technical improvement and if the overall player intelligence doesn't go up a lot. That is just ugly kickball out there most of the time.

22. cl_hanley

cl_hanley New Member

Sep 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa
    Pretty certain that was Sobrero.

Sobrero is one player at the heart of this issue. She reminds me of a female version of Frankie Hejduk...all speed, intensity, and no fear... all of which are negated as soon as she wins the ball and kicks it to an opposing player an instant later. Boy am I tired of this type of player representing the US national teams. Love the guts and determination, but for the love of God, national team players should be expected to make a simple pass to a teammate with some regularity.

23. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sometimes I wonder if these players watched professional soccer on TV growing up or if they are like a lot of soccer players i know who say, "I can't stand to watch it on TV."

24. bofahey

bofahey Member

Sep 1, 2001
    Washington, DC
    I was at the game so I haven't had the benefit of any replays, but I thought it was a definite yellow. I was on the opposite end of the pitch though so I didn't have a great view. Red would have been a bit much IMHO.

On the first U.S. goal, did anyone think that Abby could have been called for a foul when she pushed the defender? It was about 30 feet in front of me and I thought it could go either way. The defender's momentum was carrying her towards the endline anyways, but Abby definitely gave her a bit of a push.

The consistency with which Mia Hamm takes corners never ceases to amaze me. They are always low and direct... they never sail. I wish she could teach Marco Etcheverry how she does it!

The goal Sweden scored was absolutely beautiful. Great cross and beautiful header perfectly placed to finish it. Even as a US fan, I couldn't help but stand up and applaud.

Great sportsmanship by the Swedes after the game going to the middle of the field to give applause to the crowd. Classy team, and I hope to see them advance from the group as well.

25. TracieB

TracieB Member

Oct 2, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought it was a good non call. The Swedish player was already falling down.