Pre-match: USA vs Portugal; November 14th, 2017

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Sebsasour, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't even know what kind of 23 you look at for this, I definitely don't want anyone over the age of 25. There's a few Euros I'd want to look at, and after that I guess it depends who's been knocked out of MLS Cup contention

WrmBrnr, Bajoro and manq360 repped this.
  3. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would think whether the U.S. went with a veteran roster here, or a prospect-laden one, they'd get bludgeoned. Hangover from not qualifying, the veterans aren't good enough, and the prospects are unproven + green.

Might as well go green then. At least there's upside to the plan. But it's not going to be easy being green. Gotta take some lumps, and hopefully individuals can show out in spite of that.

if healthy:

fw's: Morris, Dwyer, Ramirez, Wood
    mids: Roldan, Gonzalez, McKennie, Williams, Pulisic, Arriola, Finlay, Rowe, Lletget, EPB
    backs: Adams, Rosenberry, Besler (dedicated fuse-piece), Miazga, Zimmerman, CCV, Glad, Lichaj, Vincent, Lima
    gk's: Hamid, Horvath, Gonzalez

4. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    1. Morris injured, Dwyer and Ramirez not in form. Wood is only guy. Maybe bring on Sargent and give him 30 minutes.
    2. Acosta, Roldan, J. Gonzalez and McKennie.
    3. Left side still need Johnson otherwise C. Ronaldo will kill us. Rowe, Agudulo, oh, this baby Weah totay is very good.
    4. Try CCV + Miazga in the middle

manq360 repped this.
  5. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought I recall reading somewhere that Fab said he was done for the USMNT after the World Cup, though maybe I'm wrong on that. It'd be interesting to see if he'd even accept a call.

The forward position is what I'm really struggling with here. Maybe you do give a guy like Sargent a run out. There's guys like Dwyer, Ramirez, and Agudelo who are at an age where they could factor in over the next 5 years though they're not really the youth revolution you'd hope for when you have nothing to play for, for the next 2 years.

6. metnostar

metnostar Member

Jun 28, 2001
    We need forwards. If he's willing to accept a callup, we should call Siebatcheu

TheFalseNine repped this.
  7. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I don't follow in great detail as much as you guys but should some from this team be called? Too soon? Too young?

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  8. Fire Bradley

Fire Bradley Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something like this roster is what I want to see

Horvath
    Yedlin Miazga Brooks Vincent
    J. Gonzalez
    McKennie
    Roldan
    Arriola Pulisic
    Wood
    Bench: Wright, EPB, Rowe, Williams, Adams, CCV, Lichaj, Klinsmann, Hamid, Ramirez, Sargent, Gooch, Siebatchu

We seem to be lacking on the outside attacking front for the younger guys for now so a formation where we can get 3 young cms would be my choice.

Just please none of the same ol guys from this last qualifier (other than the ones I listed), time to move on since we don't have a meaningful game for 2 years

Pl@ymaker and ifsteve repped this.
  9. coachchris

coachchris Member

Feb 19, 2007
    Galloway, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I figure the lineup will be disturbingly like the one you saw in T&T. There's nothing to win, but somebody will be counting on the list of familiar names to draw viewers. On a Tuesday.o_O

10. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll take it. No Besler, no Guzan, no Bradley, no Zusi, no.......

11. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ramirez has 14 goals and 3 assists this season. Only hasn't scored in the last 2. That doesn't constitute not being in form. It's time.

Dwyer is 2 games removed from 3 goals + assists combined. 12 combined in 26 this year. He's misfit next to Larin, because he operates better as a lone fw, and neither are much when it comes to passing. It's time there too.

Do you think Fabian Johnson will care when he'll be 34 next WC and there were enough questions about his dedication for big games? He wanted to retire after this WC. Play a hungry guy. If you're going to go experience, at least use Lichaj or Yedlin. Yedlin has the motor and Lichaj was acting like b-team Gold Cup was really special to him.

Gotta be careful not to go too veteran here, but at the same time not make low % gambles based on little or no 1st team, upper tier play. That's how the depth was badly depleted in the first place.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  12. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Besler is good. You shouldn't conflate him with the other guys.

As a 30 year old cb, he may be around a while next cycle, like Bocanegra was for 2014.

And you know he'll be dedicated + give you an honest look at his cb partner. Put two green or mismatched guys next to each other at that position, and instead of learning double, we may learn nothing, ala the Gold Cup. I get the impulse, but at the same time it may not be wise.

Does Brooks actually project to be healthy? If so, play him, but I don't know who he complements. Him and Miazga are pretty similar. Same thing with Big Zim. EPB would be sufficient I suppose, but more wanted to look at the other two first.

Footsatt and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    There are a number of players on that team that would help this team, including some who might already be among our best players, but the NT is not a daycare. None play regularly at the first team level, so none deserve first team call ups yet.

14. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't mean to diss him, I agree he's the one guy back there that looks good still. I just want the next 5 years to give chances to talent and then let's sort it out. Seems to have been a closed club and I want to open it up.

juveeer repped this.
  15. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forgot to say that I'm biased towards EPB and CCV in the middle, Brooks has both excited and disappointed me too much to lean on.

16. skim172

skim172 Member+

Feb 20, 2013
    The roster hinges a lot on whoever is appointed to the interim spot.

My bet would be that a familiar core will be retained, but they'll call in some younger faces - partly to indicate how much they're going in a new direction, moving on from the past, boldly taking on the challenge, yadda yadda yadda.

Dempsey, Altidore, Bradley, Cameron, and Besler are definitely on there.

At least one of Howard and Guzan is a given - the remaining slot(s) filled by a young face. They may choose to go with the "We're going avoid calling overseas players" approach, and bring in someone from MLS. Hamid, maybe?

Villafana, Arriola, Acosta, and Nagbe have a decent chance of being among those retained. I'd say at least 3 of them end up on the final roster.

Bedoya ... maybe. McCarty and Feilhaber ... no. Beasley, no. Zusi, probably not.

I predict most of our overseas players won't be called, on the grounds it's a friendly. Pulisic, Yedlin, Wood, Brooks, Horvath, Chandler, Ream, Lichaj - maybe one or two, depending on how committed they are to the "stay with your clubs" thinking.

The younger Europe players, like CCV, Miazga, McKennie - they might get a call. It's a chance to cap them and introduce them to fans as the new faces of American soccer as we move on from the events of just a month ago.

But I imagine we'll see a lot of guys from MLS who never quite cracked the 23. Dom Dwyer, , Zimmerman, Roldan, Kljestan, Manneh, Trapp, Sapong - all have a good chance, I think, of getting the November call.

17. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That will be a sign to me that we aren't thinking forward. 5 years from now none of those names are starters or we're not progressing. Sad times if we're doing rewarding the current mess with Euro friendlies, 5 years from the next WC when we are painfully aware of the roster overhaul needed.

juveeer, Pl@ymaker and adam tash repped this.
  18. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jul 8, 2017
    My roster for this camp (I'm assuming Brooks and Morris will both still be out, and exclude from this list any MLS guys whose teams are still alive in the playoffs as of the start of the break):

GK - Horvath, Hamid, Gonzalez
    D - Miazga, CCV, EPB, Glad, Zimmerman, Yedlin, Garza, Vincent, Rosenberry, Payne
    M - McKennie, Acosta, Roldan, Adams, Je. Gonzalez, Pulisic, Arriola, Gooch, Rowe, Picault
    F - Wood, Wright, Sapong, Ramirez, Finlay

dwsmith1972 and laxcoach repped this.
  19. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    who's the coach?

Semblance17 and WrmBrnr repped this.
  20. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i would call up bradley but only so he can watch from the bench.

theres a couple ways to go about this:

my preference is the "who has the most to gain roster"....i.e. pick players that could stand to benefit most from USMNT inclusion:

-----------------------------------hamid (horvath)--------------------------
    lima (polster)---------miazga (besler)-----opara (CCV)---------------vincent
    ----------------------tyler adams (roldan)---Hyndman(acosta)---------------------
    -----gyau (agudelo)-----------nagbe (nguyen)-------------------manneh (mcnamara)---------
    -------------------------------Ramirez (sapong)----------------------------------------

most of these players want to go to europe or want to improve their club in europe. gyau was hurt while playing with uSMNT so i think he deserves some loyalty in a basically meaningless game like this to show what he can do.

i know hamid, manneh, acosta, adams, and nagbe all want to go to europe ...and some of the others do too......so here's a chance to get there by showing well vs a top team.

21. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Coach is supposed to be announced “in 7-10 days” as of the end of last week.
    The position will be interim, probably until the new (it BETTER be a new) president of USSF can “pick his man.”
    Vermes has a good thing at KC; doubt he’d want to leave it for something not a given long term thing. Same with Sigi and Berhalter.
    My prediction is Tab Ramos as interim.

22. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jordan Morris; Christian Pulisic, Kelyn Rowe; Cristian Roldan, Danny Williams, Jonathan Gonzalez; Nick Lima, Matt Besler, Matt Miazga, DeAndre Yedlin; Bill Hamid

Press to death, theirs or ours. But plenty of young, but mature enough, nasty men out there, hungry to impress. Anchored by a grizzled vet organizer who could still be around for a while. Give him the band.

23. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dumb question: if it’s a FIFA international fixture date, are coaches required to release a player if he’s called up?

24. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes

TKyle and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  25. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’d take as few of the “old guard” as possible. The youth movement needs to start now. Hey need games to bloody the new blood.
    I don’t care if we lose to Portugal 6-0.
    Would not be as humiliating as last Tues.