Post-match: USA vs Paraguay March 27th, 2018

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by GiallorossiYank, Mar 27, 2018.

1. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Before I disagree with just about everything you wrote, I’d like to say that I found one thing we agree on. I think Steffen is the real deal and have never been sold on Horvath (though he has a lot of tools that make him interesting). I have thought highly of him since the first time I have seen him play during u20 WC and had seen enough of him by the end of the u20 WC to think he was a big time prospect. I was disappointed that he chose to come back to MLS. That being said, he continued to impress in USL and then MLS. He needs to move on soon or risks his growth slowing when he has a long way still to go. I’m hoping he’s focusing on playing with his feet as he has made couple of poor mistakes recently that he has to clean up.

1) what has Arriola done to be ahead of green? Rowe is 26. Do you watch games?

2) I’m not doing anything to any player. I forgot you don’t read the current posts, let alone previous ones. I never mentioned anything about Green and January camp. Not sure if you are incompetent or purposely blend and twist others comments. Either way, not continuing on this topic as I’ve articulated my view for others elsewhere.

3) I don’t have a clue what you are asking so I guess I will summarize. Delgado was crap at the u20 World Cup and Hyndman was the leader of the team. Canouse’s Injury hurt the team through the tournament. Trapp was overrun by Colombia while Hyndman held his own playing out wide. I know Hyndman grew significantly as a player up until a year ago. I suspect he has improved quite a bit over the last 12 months but haven’t been able to see him play. Trapp is entering his prime and had his first decent game for the US in friendly with both sides playing teams well below their capabilities. Delgado has improved significantly since 2015 with most of it in the last 12 months. I still haven’t seen him do anything that I’ve seen Hyndman do.

I think most know about Adu and that youth players don’t pan out all the time.

I still can’t follow what you are saying about Hyndman. He has improved in all aspects of his game since 2015. I’ve never seen an mls player of similar age make that kind of progress. Trapp hasn’t. Maybe Delgado has, but he was so far behind, it is hard to see him catching being a role player in MLS.

I don’t see your guys even pass you won “rules”. I’ll start there.

Goalkeepers
    hamid, steffan, bono

defenders
    Matt Miazga, John Brooks, Cameron Carter-Vickers, EPB, Yedlin, Moore, Chandler, Robinson, Villafana

mid
    McKennie, Delgado, Adams, Nagbe, ,Trapp, weah, pulisic, saief, bradley, arriola, (I have arriola, weah listed as mids but really more wingers in a 4-3-3)

forward
    Aron Johannsson, Bobby Wood, Andrija Novakovich, Jozy Altidore“

Hamid doesn’t even play in Denmark. Arriola couldn’t cut it in Mexico and hasn’t proved anything in MLS. A player who can’t make the squad in the Champioship on loan to the second division in the Netherlands? 32 mins in Ligue 1 is enough to make your team? Have you ever heard of Julian Green? He was used to be an 18 yo prospect too.

That was pretty easy. Before moving on to other players and other inconsistencies, i’ll My view on these players. Hamid is completely over rated and has basic flaws in just about every aspect of his game. He is a 27 year old who is starting all over and don’t see him finally getting around to getting his timing right, his angles, and just basic catching the ball that he should have mastered 15 years ago. Arriola is one dimensional and only hope of playing for the national team is if Arena gets rehired or he gets converted to an outside back. I’ve always been interested in Novakovich and he has had a good run this year, but his style of play is limited. He wouldn’t be a good partner for Sargent who looks to have much higher potential.

I question Bono’s ceiling.

Decent list for defenders. I’m not sold on Moore, but he is grinding it out so who knows and I haven’t seen enough of Robinson, but liked what I saw at the youth level before his injury. Not surprised you picked a dud like Villafana. He lacks pace, isn’t a good defender and doesn’t provide enough going forward. No idea why you need a 5th outside back and I’d drop to 3 before calling in Villafana.

More dead weight and wasted roster spots in midfield. Two mls lifers. A 25 yo defensive midfielder who has a tendency to turn the ball over and lacks the physicality to hold is own without another enforcer to help him out and a 27 yo who doesn’t know how to play the game. Can you name a 27 yo midfielder who missed simple passes and dribbled into traffic that figured the game out before he retired? I can’t.

I’d have the other 3 forwards in my pool, but all have shown issues with injuries and/or form on more than one occasion. Luckily you forgot to arbitrarily exclude Weah. We now need someone to coach who understands he can play out on the wing but his best position is forward.

For guy who can’t hold a rational discussion about players and the game and has mocked others for players who have a decent chance of being in the team in the next year or two, you have wasted a lot of spots. Hamid, Villafana, Trapp, and Nagbe are a waste of time. Bono and Arriola lack the potential and many others that are just flyers.

Patrick167 repped this.
  2. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    1)arriola...performance on the usmnt for the last two years, he's done ok and fills a role. Yes that Rowe is 26..is there something wrong with that age I mean like 13x2=26 so its twice the bad luck or something? I haven't heard that but if its true..I don't care.

2)come on..'Based on your stated view, I’d think you would be for cancelling the January camp because there wouldn’t be enough players to field a team. Here is the recent camp (I sure hope we aren’t depending on many players from this group, but don’t see the harm in giving them a shot)'...this was after you mentioned a key player in the 2.bundesliga...you weren't talking about julian green lol yeah ok. you shouldn't continue this because I feel bad for making fun of you but you make it hard not to. We are going back and forth about green to say you weren't talking about him come on kid.

3)I've never seen hyndman do what I saw freddy adu do. Its now been three years and in the three years its been all marky delgado this really proves how little you understand the big picture. the kid just needs to get somewhere he can get on the field its not a big deal even.

arriola cost 3 mill, green 300K, keep telling urself that people are clamoring for him on their club.

its ironic you go from hyndman who doesn't have to play to 32 minutes not being enough lol. 32 is way more then like zero.

so hamid is bad because in his prime he wanted a tougher challenge...interesting take. So you were big on MB and altidore doing the opposite? Seeing how thats worked out for them thats interesting.

nova yeah green scores two goals and thats amazing...19 just shows such a limited game. I mean green is also dynamic on the defensive end right? and in a pinch could nova play goalie? I think not lol you are too much. you knock these guys and talk about their skills like you even know what their roles on their teams are. maybe that team doesn't play the style you think everyone should play that doesn't reflect on their talent.

I'd answer all ur stuff but its just rambling nonsense. mls lifer...you know the guy from costa rica who scored two goals and RBA...plays in mls right? you know where the guy from trinidad who scored the winner against the us in the last match of hex plays right? this whole mls lifer stuff is garbage...that league is in this country lol. its literally discounting people for...being american I mean you know some guys can't get passports at 15 to go oversees and don't have the money to go on trials right? so they have to go the mls/college route.

the idea that you are going to chase americans away from america is silly. if you don't pick people from the league its not going to improve and its going to hamper the usmnt forever. its crazy insisting guys who can't play are better because they play in random second divisions and in some cases they don't play but somehow get a pass to a performance years ago.

3. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    1) defend? dribble without being pushed off the ball when somebody sneezes? Julian green isn't major league.
    3)You say Delgado was crap at the u20? He replaced the benched Acosta at dmid and held Serbia to 0 goals over 90 + 30 minutes extra time after which he converted his penalty kick. CCV missed his penalty kick and Serbia converted and went on to win the tournament. They are going to Russia in June.

Do you get paid to lie or is it just something you enjoy doing?

4. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why did you have to remind me of that game? Now I need to go back to therapy.

5. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    The English CB missed his penalty kick? Shocking.

Love how you give a midfielder all the credit for holding Serbia scoreless for 120 minutes but none to an actual CB in the game!

Neither Julian Green, in the 2.BL or Marky Delgado, in MLS are "Major League". They are both playing well and we will see where they are in 2019. They could both be "Major League" by then. I know Green would want to play in the BL, I don't know if Delgado has any ambition other than play in MLS. I hope he does. I think Green deserves a call into a camp based on what he is doing at GF. The USMNT pool has very few players, under 30, playing the position he does. Outside of Green, it is basically Mix Diskerud; also in a minor league.

6. vexco

vexco Member+

Nov 2, 2013
    You mean Miazga and CCV held them scoreless by bossing the game. Acosta played FB because of injuries, how did Delgado replace him again? Delgado filled in for an injured Canouse and was the weak link in the midfield during the tournament. Delgado is playing well now but revisionist history to pretend like he's been some great player this whole time is asinine.

bsky22 and Patrick167 repped this.
  7. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    You have to be good to make the U20, but Delgado is much better now. Here is an example of a player entering MLS, getting pro minutes at 17 and now emerging as a legitimate USMNT pool player. He is 22, not young but not too old. If MLS could move him to a good situation in Europe, then that would be a win for the league and the USMNT. He is making $210K per year which probably means he is on his second contract and it might run until he is 26-27. These kind of players have tended to stay (be stuck in) MLS and plateau. We will see, don't hold your breath.

8. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Delgado just resigned with TFC last October at the end of his prior contract. So, I guess he has no thoughts of playing anywhere than MLS. Shame.

9. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Delgado impressed me in the Paraguay match and adds another player to the completion to start. He was doing a lot of simple one and two touch stuff and would seem a good fit for a La Liga team if they are inclined at all to let an American play there (probably not since they doubtless have a bunch of similar local players). He may have a hard time finding a good fit in other more physical leagues. Sort of the Hyndman dilemna.

10. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    Very few players playing his position? What magic position does he play.

11. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Does it have to be one or the other?

Deadtigers and TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  12. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Here is the lineup from us soccer.
    https://www.ussoccer.com/us-under20...-fifa-u20-world-cup/150614-u20mnt-v-srb#tab-1

USA: 1-Zack Steffen; 17-Desavio Payne, 4-Cameron Carter-Vickers, 5-Matt Miazga 3-John Requejo; 15-Marky Delgado, 8-Emerson Hyndman (capt.), 19-Gedion Zelalem, 7-Paul Arriola; 13-Tommy Thompson (10-Joel Soñora, 103), 9-Rubio Rubin

p.s. edit: imagine playing the 6 behind those two defensive stalwarts :rolleyes: Emerson Hyndman and Giddy Zelalem.

13. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Good point. I think I’ve been on here too much having conversations with folks like him that I was starting to view things too narrowly.

14. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Your “rules” make no sense and you apply them inconsistently.

1) Arriola couldn’t win a full time place at Tijuana and MLS over paid for him because that is what they do and naive mls fans seem to eat it up. A 26 yo is in his prime and it is rare but not impossible to improve materially. I believe Players who haven’t proven it yet should have minimal opportunities with the national team at that age.

2). I quoted you and respond to the statement. I didn’t include Green in that discussion.

3.) in those three years he played in the Champioship and was an impact player for Rangers forma half season.

You just don’t understand comments. I dont have a minimum amount of minutes a player has played. I was for Weah being called in and a shame he didn’t get more minutes. The irony is that you (not me) claimed Parks hadn’t done enough, and yet he has played more with his 1st team and yet Weah is on your roster.

Ironic... based on how important you view playing that you select him when not playing. I think you’ve mocked Horvath as well. I wouldn’t have called in a Hamid because I don’t like him as a goalkeeper and don’t see him correcting those things at his age.

I didn’t knock Novakovich. I asked how you put him on your team when you are against players who haven’t proven enough.

You don’t seem to understand the difference of a guy who has only played in MLS and a guys who play in MLS.

No, the league interfered with our national team and is currently a determined to our players. The league is about money and not about the game. I believe the relationship is the opposite. The league has a responsibility to develop players and if they aren’t they are of no use to the national team. The league could still benefit if players go abroad and our national team succeeds. Forcing average player on the national team limits both. The majority of the excitement around the league is associated with foreigners.

Patrick167 repped this.
  15. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    1) green, Arriola, Delgado, Acosta, etc all aren’t major league.

3). For a guy who goes on crusades against players, you are very sensitive to criticism. Let me rephrase... “it is my opinion and many others that Delgado was crap and a major weak link on that team”. I think other have commented on how silly your take is of the Serbia game.

To corroborate including “many others” in my statement above, you can search Delgado in a post tournament thread.... I picked a handful and ordered them so they get progressively worse. The last one is from post #9, which you repped.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/2015-u-20-world-cup-tournament-takeaways.2021107/

CDM: Marco Delgado --- C
    Can we give Marco a bit of a break. Yeah he lacked range and yeah his distribution wasn't great but the kid never stopped working the whole tournament and we all know he wasn't supposed to be in that position. For as much as people worried about our vulnerability on the counter, we were really good against it (even though that had so much to do with CCV and Miazga)
    Player projection: 0 national team caps; MLS squad rotation player

Delgado isn't a great ballwinner and was a drain on possession.

Delgado was meh. He wasn't terrible, but you could tell he was a step behind his teammates. Weak passes, slightly worse touch. And once everyone got tired, so did he. At least he scored his penalty.

Not a chance, the battle for worst player was between Delgado and Moore.

Moore, delgado suck

Patrick167 and TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  16. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    1)yup club that doesn't spend money overpaid for a player by almost 3 million dollars, percentagewise its about 30times increase sounds realistic.

2)weren't talking about green..we've been talking about green and out of the blue you started talking about who? you literally mentioned green by name its quite a reach.

3)is hyndman now the great white hope? should he now start lol because he had a decent half a season in a weak league? I mean you'd think someone would be interested right? I mean maybe even his own club would be interested in playing him? let me guess they are doing the benfica style hiding of the star thing lol.

I knocked horvath because he didn't play well and got bench, hamid went to a tougher challenge and started today I mean there is a huge diff. I understand as a distinguished coach at an elite level like urself you have high demand but the reality is you still have to pick from the pool. the best may not be great but they are still the best american picking random guys who have shown no sign of being good enough hoping that you find a diamond in the rough doesn't work. The lets call in hyndman, parks, scott, green...one of them will lead is to glory because well odds are someone will work out isn't a real plan.

parks has like what 6 goals...nova has like 19....imagine thinking those numbers are the same thing. The difference is there are better options for cm then parks...there aren't great options up top where nova would be. Also comparing green to nova isn't even close. All these young guys have time though you act like they need to peak yesterday or be picked for greatness. A lot of average/slightly above average guys will play for the usmnt in the next 10 years. relax it will be ok.

17. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    SMDH

//unsubscribe

//ignore a new fan

18. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    pretty much this.

@bsky22 and @vexco I said it before, reading comprehension is not his strong suit. He is like an angry drunk looking to fight anyone over anything, even if it is the slightest disagreement.

a_new_fan repped this.
  19. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    totally agree I have trouble reading things that don't make sense. this idea that random fans are like secretly genius coaches and pick random great white hopes is tough to follow, anyone have word on who it is this month? I mean parks is old news is it green or hyndman now?

20. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    They might all be pro scouts and you just the random fan. You are thicker than pig Shi'ite though that much is clear.

21. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    Is this how it is going to be around here until we have some meaningful games...?

You guys are obviously not changing minds, agree to disagree[emoji849]

Deadtigers and Winoman repped this.
  22. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    I think this is a good example for relying on an evaluation of the fundamental qualities of players and not just performance in a small sample size affected by many factors that can be out of their control. Delgado and Moore are guys who I held my stock in (going back to one's first minutes with ChivasRIP and the other's with the U17's). It's not like they were always destined to be CL players but a deserved USMNT call-up seemed possible.

23. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    no fun though, I mean we'll find out this summer who is right once that transfer window opens.

24. vexco

vexco Member+

Nov 2, 2013
    Acosta played FB he whole tournament. He didn't play that one single match whether it was due to card accumulation or injury. He wasn't "benched".

25. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Can you clarify what you are referring to and your comments? This thread became hard to follow many psges ago.