Pre-match: USA vs Panama November 16, 2020

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by EXALIFTIN, Nov 12, 2020.

1. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    presumably reyna right and gioacinni at st? dest at lb when we have a lb to play a guy we KNOW is our backup rb. musah where reyna should be.

we are just determined to waste our talent, arent we?

sXeWesley and FC Tallavana repped this.
  2. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    ------------------------Steffen
    --------Richards----Miazga----Brooks
    -Adams----Musah----McKennie----Dest
    -------------Reyna------------Pulisic
    -----------------------Sargent

Not saying it would work, but I know what Cannon can do.

3. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am pretty content with the lineup. I was concerned that there would be to much rotation and I did not want Dest, Adams, Wes, Musah or Gio out of the lineup.

NietzscheIsDead repped this.
  4. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Yeah I know all that. I'd still rather have an EPL starter. Robinson has really impressed this year (really over the last 2 years), and it worries me that he gets one game then ignored. Hopefully Egg rates him higher than many here, but he should be a locked in starter as long as he's maintaining good form at Fulham.

sXeWesley, ttrevett and glutton4Bolts repped this.
  5. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah... I would prefer Richards too... but probably for MM since he already got an entire game. Perhaps he will get the 2nd half? <fingers-crossed>

dams repped this.
  6. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah... He has shown a lot better in the EPL than he did in the 1st game. Hoping the US can score a few and we can see him in the 2nd so Dest can get some rest.

7. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Gioachini starts. Great. He should have started Soto and Gioachini in the 2 matches.

2 guys w/ options that are playing well. Both should have gotten a start.

Instead he flies in Seb to play out of position because of the system, which was always going to be a failure.

Patrick167 repped this.
  8. Calling BS

Calling BS Member+

Orlando City
    United States
    Jan 25, 2020
    I thought the whole point of you switching to a 3 CB formation was to push AR further up the field. You left him out. I’m curious who you bench to get him on.

9. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The players listed in the XI could slot nicely into a 4-2-3-1, but I imagine they'll be in the 4-3-3. Hope I'm wrong.

10. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Get over it!

11. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    My point is that if you are going to move Dest out of the position he was signed to play at Barcelona it should be due to a formation change rather than an attempt to squeeze in a guy who plays in Portugal.

TheRightPants repped this.
  12. Calling BS

Calling BS Member+

Orlando City
    United States
    Jan 25, 2020
    This is about getting RC a run. AR shit the bed with his chance. ALL of our good attacks were from the right side. Dest was a big part of that. I would expect Dest to play a half and make way for AR to get some redemption.

13. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    It was apparent that there was very little attack generated from the Konrad/Robinson side of the field. I would assume that Dest would be moved to the left to diversify the attack a bit.

This is where having a cultured soccer media would help...they’d be able to report on the reasons why these things happen. Otherwise we have uninformed people running rampant with conspiracy theories.

14. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    From a lot of the quotes before this camp, I think it was clear that Berhalter was conflicted between playing Dest on the right and Robinson on the left, or Dest on the left and Cannon on the right. So it's not a big surprise to me that he would try both of those options out in this set of friendlies, even if the first option makes more sense to me.

Brooks on the bench is a little more surprising to me. I'm assuming he may be resting him for the sake of his club, though if that is the case there are others in the lineup I'd expect to be on the bench for this as well.

15. Tmagic77

Tmagic77 Member+

Feb 10, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Dest has been awful attacking from the left at Barca. Competition there is tougher than Panama, but I don't know if it's a great idea if you're just looking to generate attacks down that side.

Now, I don't necessarily buy that you always put Dest in at RB because he's our best RB and that's his best position. Depends on who's available at LB and who's just behind him at RB. And potentially the opponent. I want the best pair of RBs out there, not the best on one side and complete trash on the other.

16. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Has Gioachinni been scratched for Lleget yet?

ttrevett and TimB4Last repped this.
  17. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    I’m happy about Ream. He and Brooks as interchangeable LCB’s gives the squad consistent organizational leadership as the team institutes the new possession-based mentality. Ream is a smart, cultured passer and a solid teammate.

He and Brooks establish consistency and predictability for whichever relatively young and inexperienced players also play on the back line. You know they’re going to understand what’s going on on the field, and you know they’re going to try to win and keep the ball.

This is a luxury for Berhalter...they’ll be able to play and keep expectations the same for LCB regardless of which of them is available.

18. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brooks does have injury issues, so I'm OK with him not playing this game. I would have preferred Richards in this XI just because I think his athletic ability can help cover for Ream, and that he does need a look to see if he can compete for the RCB slot opposite Brooks.

I'm more than fine with this lineup. I would imagine we'll see more of Gio playing his natural position of drifting inside. Musah can provide some of the attacking on the right that Dest would normally provide. This could be a 4-2-3-1 with McKennie and Adams as a double pivot, but I'm guessing it's a 4-3-3 with Gio as the playmaker and Nico as a more traditional striker.

19. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Yes, Uly is earning looks with production. He has an attacking mentality,

20. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    based on what? he didnt provide much offensively in the scope of a cm, now hes going to also compensate for the absence of dest?

21. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I'm sure this was all pre-planned. They called three fullbacks in and it was an obvious move to play one with Dest on the right and one with him on the left. I'd have let Robinson get back on the horse, but Gregg thinks Cannon is an important leader.

I wonder if we see 30-45' of Robinson and Cannon? Or, does Ream shift over and we get Richards-Miazga in the middle?

NietzscheIsDead repped this.
  22. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on watching him in some of his Valencia games. He's not Dest, but he is able to generate some attacking quality.

23. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    100%

I have no idea why US Managers are such morons. I'm sorry, I hate to be so negative, but you bring in players like Weah who needs minutes and Richards who has massive upside and then you start someone like Ream. Just moronic.

adam tash repped this.
  24. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    "might" ? That's your answer. "might" and "consistency" don't go together.

Germans, especially, want players to be proficient in those things they want them proficient in. Dutch are a little more forgiving. We'll see how he does in Holland.

25. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    The big thing for Gio is that he’ll have had some feedback from coaches. It looks like he was basically allowed to roam free by the coaching staff against Wales. That was a lot of responsibility for a 17-year old, but it shows how highly they think of him (as they should).

I would expect him to find the ball more in this game.