News: USA vs. Mexico in Philly. August 10.

Discussion in 'Philadelphia OT' started by UnionFreak1, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Yo-Joe

Yo-Joe Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Montco/Philadelphia, USA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I'm going, and I'm excited for it. We could live in some godforsaken city that never gets a USMNT game, and we're lucky enough to be in the regular rotation. It's US vs Mexico at the start of a new World Cup cycle -- I understand cost and time concerns, but not lackluster enthusiasm.

2. McRob

McRob Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it's totally a Philly thing. Everywhere else the US plays they sell out the place every time for any game.

:rolleyes:

3. unholyunion

unholyunion Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they didn't jack up the prices compared to the US / Turkey / Union-Madrid game i would consider this...

it's also in the middle of the week... i know i'm just about done my hectic work, but i also have to complete stuff before going on vacation (which is also another poor timing)

4. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well since its US vs. Mexico, I am going to play the "PHX Card." Similar prices as the 2007 US vs. Mexico friendly in PHX, & it was sold out.
    But I understand that Philly doesn't have quite the Latino population compared to AZ.
    Just out of curiosity, how much are tickets to the Eagles pre-season game the day after. We all know its going to be sold out, so it would be good to see the price difference.

5. gta95

gta95 Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Jersey
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can grab tickets right now for the Eagles game for about $15 + fees and shipping. Huge difference between that at $50+ for upper level in a friendly.

6. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eagles are spot on with that pricing. It's a great way for people to attend a game that otherwise couldn't afford to.

I don't know who sets the prices for the USMNT friendlies (venue, US Soccer?), but cheaper friendlies would be a great way to grow interest in the sport.

This match was announced without a lot of notice (at least it felt fairly soon after the announcement). Day and time are unfavorable for most people. The cost is high. I think that's why sales are low.

I'm doing my part by not attending.

7. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Congrats! :D Is this how you look at US Soccer games. You have to boycott them? 'Yeah, Philly may not get another game for a couple of years, so I won't attend this one.' Is that really the way you think?

8. gta95

gta95 Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Jersey
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Face it, its a friendly that is terribly scheduled time wise and unreasonable price wise. I'm trying to scrape together the chips to go but its almost the USSF doesn't want us to show up for this one. How come AO tickets for this match are $57 while AO tickets for the CR friendly in Sept are $22(!)?

Maybe we can partially blame the Eagles/the Linc for the crazy prices. The Real Madrid friendly prices were a little rough too.

9. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, thats true. I still am surprised by the fact that US Soccer decided to host Mexico in Philly. It would seem like if they wanted to make money, Italy would have been the better opponent.

10. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If choosing not to attend is boycotting, then sure, run with that.

11. sccaflagger74

sccaflagger74 Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Media, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently I've been boycotting quite a bit in my life. I never knew I was such an activist! :D

12. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You and Joey Vento should get together and pine away for a Philadelphia that doesn't exist anymore.

This match would draw the same, regardless of opponent, as long as the cost, date and time stayed the same.

Turkey did well last year. Weekend. Reasonable cost.

But I'll keep on boycotting while you do your part from Arizona.

13. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trust me, I know EVERYTHING on BoyCotting with SB1070

14. McRob

McRob Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree. I think the fact that its Mexico is actually a negative, even though they're our rival. Nobody wants to go watch a meaningless game against Mexico right after they embarrassed us in a Cup game.

I doubt I'd go anyway because I work Wed. nights and I've already taken off some days this month, but I think if you brought in an A team from England, ticket sales would be higher.

The Turkey game did well because it was the last game in the states before the WC. Also the Turkish fans showed up en masse.

15. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You'd have to think there are more Mexican supporters in the region than Turkish?

Mexico, Italy or Country X. I don't think anyone should be surprised by the lackluster sales.

16. McRob

McRob Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Turkey had never played a game in this country before those three games last year. I bet people flew in for that one.

I said it before, the Mexicans don't care about this game either. My one Mexican friend at work has been talking about going to games for years but they've been too far away. He tried to go to GC game in NY but had a conflict. Now they're coming to Philly so I asked if he was going. He said "What for?"

17. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW, many moons ago we had a similar discussion, and it was discovered that, in the Greater Philadelphia Area (City + surrounding counties), the National roots of an overwhelming majority of families was actually Irish, not Italian.

18. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? These people seem to differ.

[​IMG]

19. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    North Jersey can keep them.

20. sully127

sully127 Member

Apr 3, 2010
    138, C
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    don't.....don't call them 'people'

21. Convey Crew

Convey Crew Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Section 115 PPL Park
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know alot of people are not going for whatever reason. I am still going are there any other SOB's going who are interested in tailgating? Regardless if this is a meaningless game I HATE Mexico and I will always support USA soccer and they are playing in Philly its a no brainer.

22. gta95

gta95 Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Jersey
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I can get a ticket, I'll be there!

23. sully127

sully127 Member

Apr 3, 2010
    138, C
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will be going.

Planning on maybe trying to hit the AO pre-party at McFaddens.

From AO e-mail:

---------------------------------------------------
    US vs. Mexico

8/10/11
    8:30 p.m. ET
    Lincoln Financial Field Philadelphia, PA
    Events:

Night Before: Dark Horse Pub
    421 S. 2nd Street
    Philadelphia, PA 19147
    8 pm - 2 pm

Drink Specials:
    Bottles
    $3.00 - Miller Light
    $3.00 - Bud
    20oz Imperial Pint
    $3.50 - Bud Light
    $3.50 - Yuengling
    $4.00 - Guinness
    $4.00 - Harp
    $4.00 - Swithwicks
    $5.00 - Yards
    $5.00 - Victory
    $5.00 - Dogfish
    $5.00 - Boddingtons
    $5.00 - Strongbow
    $5.00 - Franziskaner
    $5.00 - Stella Artois
    $5.00 - Hoergaarden

Day-of-Game: McFadden's Ballpark
    1 Citizens Bank Way Philadelphia, PA (Right by the Phillie's Stadium)

Times: 4 pm till the march at about an hour before kickoff!

For Directions & Parking: http://www.mcfaddensballpark.com/site/directions.php

Enter and check in at the Front door and Host Table to get your wristband. Mention AO or wear AO gear to get your wristband and receive drink specials!
    $3 Domestic Drafts
    $5 Imports
    $5 John Daly
    For AO under 21, sorry the Philly laws says you can only enter the bar if accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.
    So for those under 21 (or those wanting to go early then head to McFaddens), Sports Nation will be doing a show live in Lot K at around 4 pm, and younger AO can congregate there with community grilling/food!
    *We will be looking at making sure future events/bars can also include the under 21 AO, since we are growing in the under 21 peeps!

-----------------------------------------------
    ACT ABOVE:
    Please follow the AO Code of Conduct: http://www.theamericanoutlaws.com/about/ao-code-of-conduct-act-above
    * Be Better then those other fans
    * 75% of AO members oppose the "YSA" chant after goal kicks (from our last poll)
    * but ooze passion for the boys in the red, white, and blue!

------------------------------------------------
    Not heading to Game?

For those not lucky enough to head to Philly to the game, make sure you join your fellow outlaws at your local AO Bar to view the game:
    http://www.theamericanoutlaws.com/chapters
    * and if your city isn't official yet, try finding local AO members and US fans to Unite with in your town by tweeting a local bar with hashtag #AOlocalbar or do the similar on facebook.

XOXO,
    AO

24. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what a party the night before. 8pm-2pm. Only an hour of rest and then its the tailgate?! HOLY SHIT! Only in Philly.

25. gta95

gta95 Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Jersey
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In hindsight, it would have been cool for the game to be played at PPL with the appropriate pricing. Oh well, should be fun anyway.