Pre-match: USA vs Mexico -- Gold Cup Final Sun 7/7

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by rob88, Jul 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollAmerica

RollAmerica New Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 4, 2019
    #26 RollAmerica, Jul 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    We just got some seats two sections away from the Outlaws. Hoping to randomly end up in a pocket of Americans. What should we expect regardless? Ive been to a bunch of College Football road games where specific fanbases were supposed to be terrible but never had any problems with it

2. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Expect to get covered in beer.

Streaky Bacon, kba4life1 and bsman repped this.
  3. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    I asked this in a different thread but I missed why most of Mexico’s Euro guys aren’t here. Why is that?

4. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Garber and MLS, of course!

napper, Ironbound, sakibomb523 and 3 others repped this.
  5. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wonder how hard Eggg will go after this game. It’s all house money for him now- he’s met the ore-determined standards for “success” set by both the public and his bosses. We will see.

TOAzer repped this.
  6. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Respectfully disagree. This is the only game that’s really mattered given the draw. We are expected to beat Jamaica by 2 at home.

I think the expectation for this home game is a 1-0 win.

7. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know much about the version of Mexico that is at this tournament. They wiped the floor with Cuba to start and thumped Canada but haven't impressed since. Struggled to beat Martinique, then needed penalties to get past CR, and only 1-0 v Haiti with a desperately late penalty goal (more than a little shady how often Mexico seems to get penalty calls deep in stoppage time in the GC elimination rounds).

But Mexico is Mexico, they always have a lot of talent and they will likely come to this game inspired to beat us, so it's going to be a very tough matchup. My question as it has been through the past six game is what version of the US will show up? The one that got out possessed by Curacao or the one that dominated Jamaica for the pre-delay part of the semis? The former team could lose terribly; the latter has a shot to get a famous victory.

Regardless it's awesome to be here. I was very skeptical after the friendlies that we'd make it this far, and Mexico is known to have some embarrassing GC failures of its own (lost the semis in 2013 and 2017). It'll be an exciting game and the kind of spectacle that the MNT could use for some good vibes (maybe unfortunate that it's the same day as the WWC final, that may mean the US audience appetite for soccer is already sated).

So while the best outcome would be a brilliant victory, what's important is that we play competitively with Mex and not let a repeat of 2009 or 2011 happen. I know 2009 was a full B-team roster, but 2011 was pretty much the A-squad, and that was really demoralizing. Need to avoid that outcome Sunday.

8. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree that getting to the final is not a success; it's a decent outcome but not something we should be happy with. The goal for this program in every Gold Cup should be to win it all. We've done that a lot--even in 2017--and this year should be no different.

Whether that's a reasonable expectation for this team is hard to say. I would love to see a 1-0 win but we've lost to Mexico at home in 4 of 5 Gold Cup finals so that would be well above the historical average. I think the difference is between what your ideal for the program is (getting wins at home including against Mexico) versus what you think this particular squad at this time in its development will do versus this version of Mexico (honestly not sure).

9. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I think I said before the tournament that getting to the final and not losing in embarrassing fashion to Mexico would be acceptable. Not a success, but an acceptable show of progress over the miserable WCQ campaign and enough to keep Berhalter off the hot seat. And I still feel that way.

10. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    im pleasantly surprised berhalter finally made some changes.

for mex i want boyd back in for morris. thats the only definite change i want from last night. lima or cannon on the right, miazga or zimmerman pairing long in the middle id be fine either way (miazga was plainly beaten for the goal, but i still have him clearly ahead of zimmerman overall- and zims never faced this level).

so rb and which cb plays with long are variables for me but neither will make me nuts. i feel like im telling a scary story here (i need a holding a flashlight up to my face in the dark emoji) but berhalter going to omar for this one wouldnt shock me. it would suck, and i mean HARD, but it wouldnt surpise me at all.

and ill just point out, for like the thousandth time- ream is a third cb. lima is not a cb. that change is not going to happen. zero chance. id be interested in long pushing out (miazga and zim in the middle) but we are at the final. its not the time to try shit out. we just gotta swallow hard and get next to the fact its ream.

largegarlic, CMeszt and tomásbernal repped this.
  11. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    are friends who dont want to pay $15 for better seats really friends? ;)

us soccer prices are terrible, but the upgrades in tier are usually pretty solid. i get that upper bowl, behind the goal seats for a friendly in cleveland or whatever for $55 dollars sucks, but if youre gonna go just pay the $65-70 to sit on the side 30 rows up.

bungadiri repped this.
  12. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that goes for sitting with the outlaws OR surrounded by el tri ;)

13. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ————-Altidore————
    Arriola———————Boyd
    ——Pulisic—McKennie——
    ————-Bradley————-
    Ream———————Cannon
    —Zimmerman—Long———
    —————Steffen————-
    CPT: Pulisic
    Likely subs:
    Lima
    Roldan
    Morris

majspike, russ and Winoman repped this.
  14. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Appreciate the civility! I think that if you go back and read the pre-tournament threads and press, the conclusion is pretty easy that “reaching the finals” was the standard set for the team by the public (and probably by USSF, although we will never know).

15. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lozano, Tecatito and Layun are hurt.

Chicharito had a baby.

Herrera wanted to focus on his new club

Vela just doesn't care about playing for the national team

Bajoro, skim172, mbar and 4 others repped this.
  16. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is what we see, but with Morris starting over Boyd. I think Ream will get Reamed by Mexico--Arriola is going to be pinned back much more, or Ream will get taken advantage of. McKennie will also have to drop deeper to support (which he did very well against Jamaica). Kind of want Cannon to start over Lima, but that's highly doubtful--but maybe Berhalter liked his game yesterday so much that he'll throw us that curveball. The kid has been solid all around, and I'm very surprised by his composure. Never seems nervous. Never looks like he doubts that he can play at this level. Never afraid of his opponent. I'm high on his prospects. I fear that we'll get stretched like we did against Curacao--5 back, and 5 up (or, perhaps more likely, 7 back and 3 up).

17. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shocked that you'd be the one to post this! (Not that you've been in the "MLSUMUSSF conspiracy" group)

18. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    -------------Morris-------------
    --Arriola----Pulisic----Boyd
    --------Bradley--McKennie---
    -Lima---------------------Cannon
    -------Long--Zimmerman-------
    ------------Steffen------------------

- would love to move Pulisic wide and replace Arriola but that would mean starting Roldan/Mihailovic at the 10 or Zardes/Altidore as another fw and I don't have the faith.
    - Ream and Lovitz will get torched again by quick wingers if they're played.
    - Miazga is a little behind.
    - try to press early, maybe fall back into a 4-4-1-1 with Boyd underneath and counter more if it doesn't work.

19. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good post, but I disagree with Boyd for Morris. I think Morris starts because he keeps the team's shape better and is more active defensively, which will be needed. I also think Zimmerman over Miazga is a definite--not only because I think Berhalter rates him higher right now, but because his play has been overall pretty damn good, and he's better in the air as far as I have seen. Mexico, for whatever reason, often seem to like to send in crosses even against taller competition but maybe Tata changes that this game.
    Totally agree that it will be Ream at LB. Would be happy with either Lima or Cannon, but something really pushes me to go with Cannon. He's been very good, and composed composed composed. That's crucial against Mexico. I think Berhalter may just go for Cannon on the basis of his game against Jamaica. His form is excellent.

20. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I keep trying to post an image from Junior but it ain’t working.
    I think he’ll rotate guys so they’re rested for our match next week. ;)

It’s the final. He’ll go after it hard.

21. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I imagine Tata will also target Pulisic, too.

Excellency repped this.
  22. alslammerz

alslammerz Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Staten Island, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was at that game. It was...not a fun experience.

TimB4Last repped this.
  23. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    #48 CMeszt, Jul 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    Lower bowl was at least $125 if i remember right for the final. They had some 200 level club for the same price that I would have gotten if it was just me and the wife (especially since I don't think I'll be able to go see the Lions at SF this season). Paid 65 each for 300 level United Club which was only 15 more than the 400 level cheap seats. 300 level grandstand are also really really good seats that were reasonable but they sold out really fast.

24. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I believe that history always repeats itself, so I'm going with USA 2-MX1. As for getting beer spilled on you at the game, it's much to expensive to throw away nowadays.

We look much better organized last night. If we see that same cohesion and spark from everybody, it will be a good game.

25. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Though for the record, the cheapest tickets on StubHub right now is $258 in the absolute top corner of the stadium.