USA vs Mexico 04/27/05 - First hand accounts from Azteca

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by nyrmetros, Mar 25, 2005.

1. Clinton AFC

Clinton AFC New Member

Aug 14, 2004
    Clinton
    I had fun reading the match report. Thanks.

I think maybe that assessment of Lisa is a little (a lot?) caustic.

We had dinner with her & several other DC supporters late Sunday night and she's very nice, very smart, interesting, and a knowledgable fan. The waiters were well compensated and seemed well pleased with the gratuity.

Maybe it's a Metros-Utd thang but...

Looking forward to seeing you NJ guys in Chicago and/or Salt Lake City.

2. Frankie Boy

Frankie Boy Member

Jun 9, 2003
    Mexican waiters always love gringos-the custom in Mexico is only a 10% tip, while in USA 15-20% is standard. :)

3. Thunderpac

Thunderpac Member

Feb 16, 2000
    NE Minneapolis
  4. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    I don't know man, call it what you want, but there is little excuse for telling people to stop singing for their country because it doesn't jive with your view of the section. (her view, not yours).

There were dudes (bison1997, Jay, Rishi & others) who hung out in the front of the section and sang- yet were from DC. I don't think it was a DC vs. NY thing, I think it was an "our way" vs. the "other" way thing. Lisa may be a great person, I've never met her and the politics of all of this is beyond stupid.

But, the fact remains, there were plenty of space for guys from DC or wherever to move down to the front of the section & sing, and they didn't. There were plenty of chances for us to all be "together" rooting for the US, regardless of who was leading the chants or what bus you came on. Some people made a decision to not participate in that by standing apart from the rest and doing their own thing. If that is how they want to roll, fine, but the idea that it is incumbent upon the majority of the group hanging out together to stop singing and do something else because a minority wants it that way, doesn't make sense.

Club rivalries are lame enough every other day of the year. On National Team Day, stow the 'tude and sing as one voice. If someone isn't there to do that, why are they there?

5. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm. I would have used some curse words myself...

Well put, J.

6. CA-SA

CA-SA Member

Mar 21, 2005
    Brownsville, TX
    we met up with DC SE at the airport and did the whole tourist thing. This was my second WCQ trip to Mexico and this by far was a whole lot better. I got wasted at the game.....10 empty cups is when i lost track (beer guy next to me the whole game) and left with some friends from the embassy. They thought i was going to take of my US gear off but I wasn't worried....we lost. Had we won, we would have stayed with the group and security. It was great meeting and hanging out with everybody. Thanks.
    Miguel