USA vs. Korea DPR 9/11/07

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by Crimson Ace, Sep 10, 2007.

1. kickinthehead

kickinthehead Member

Mar 17, 2006

Actually, all around the world, the US is seen as ONE of the contenders of the World Cup, not THE favorite. I think that's more of US PR than anything else.

I agree with the perception that the US is one of the contenders, but NOT the favorite.

2. speedoblobb

speedoblobb New Member

Sep 1, 2003
    CHAPEL HILL
    To me, the Germans are the obvious favorite....

3. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    agree ESPN markets usa as the favorite because of the #1 ranking....and it's on american TV

right now, there's NO clear favorite....

there's NO dominant team...

let's see germany and england, and maybe germany can claim to be one of them...

north korea and usa, are in the mix...

a few others are in the mix....norway, china, brasil...too early to pick anyone

4. sregis

sregis Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Hoboken, USA
    4 years ago v. germany comes to mind.

5. kickinthehead

kickinthehead Member

Mar 17, 2006
    I really don't think there is a clear favorite just yet. I'll reserve my judgment until Germany has finished the first round.

6. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not that young and not that inexperience- Seven of the starters vs NK have played WWC and/or Olympics, while even Chalupny and Lopez played the U19 Worlds and NCAA finals.

7. tarheelfan490

tarheelfan490 New Member

Nov 12, 2004
    arlington, va
    i'm still furious with ryan for not subbing wambach out, especially with a lead. lord have mercy, that was so dumb. and how did he not fix it after they scored the first one? damn. tarp, kai, etc etc. i don't care if ryan thinks wambach "is the heart and soul of this team." he's the head coach of the u.s. women's national team; the first game of the world cup is no time to be star struck by one of your own players.

8. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a quick comment for now. I finally saw the game last night.

Based on most of the comments in this thread, I expected much much worse from the US. I thought the US did much better than what the comments here led me to expect. I thought it was a very good game, a very tough game between two top teams with similar commitment to challenging for the ball, even if playing different formations.

Of course, I should have known from the Norway friendly that we tend here to not give enough credit to the other team for giving the US problems. Understandable - we're fans - but folks - US, Norway, North Korea - these are top 5 teams and they're playing like it!

Don't panic.

And what was the other advice for hitchikers in the galaxy? Bring a blanket?

9. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    woah, do NOT compare u-20 play and ncaa finals with senior level intensity...

ncaa, the sub rule changes the game...

last august i was in europe and caught several u-20 matches from russia on eurosport, oddly the north koreans twice and the usa...

u-20 matches are not the quality of the best, don't forget usa u-20 got squashed 5-0 by brasil at pan am games...when brasil was using their A squad versus usa u-20 group...

of any u-20 group if 3 or 4 players emerge to a senior team, that's a good proportion....

i still think the younger americans will learn fast, they have rarely been pushed like they wil be, and it's a question of them adepting their skill set to a higher level of play...

and in the long run of this tourney, the more yout get tested early, the more you can grow when it's the elimination phase...

can we say solo will have learned quite a bit just from the north korea match, which will bode well in the coming matches

10. Hoover

Hoover New Member

Oct 1, 2006
    US team going to do fine as they have tremendous talent and firepower, let us not underestimate them. Expectations are so high for this team that anything less than a blow out is seem as defeat or major flaw in team. This bracket in particular and WC tournament has some high quality team which is good for women's soccer.

Yes, NK squad played a great game and had great technical skills plus a solid tactical game plan. They were impressive and time will tell how sustainable their game is as more games to come.

Overall, I thought game was pretty even match with NK possessing ball more and many dangerous plays...... but, the US attacks were lethal including several missed headers off set plays.

Time will tell for both teams and this is what a WC soccer tournament should be. One full of drama, excitement and competition.

11. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All good comments. And as for Hope Solo, yes I think it bodes very well that she made the mistake and came back to make the game-saving stops in injury time. All in all, the US came out okay. And we got a break that Sweden only tied Nigeria. For the ones playing their first World Cup, what a game to be your first, hey? Talk about being thrown right into the fire...

12. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My response was to the comment of “…given ALL the young players on the squad…” and the general comments that players being nervous or whatever prior to the game.
    Seven of the starters vs. NK had previous WWC and/or Olympics experience and that some of the rest had been in major games – so that the crowds, press coverage, etc. were not new. Plus Tarpley who I believe will start vs. Sweden

It was not directed to the level of the play.

13. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States