USA vs Iceland (R)

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by buff415, Feb 16, 2003.

1. Mike Lane

Mike Lane New Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Atlanta
    Sounds like we've got a lot of work to do before the cup.
    The population of Iceland is what, about 250,000?
    Grump!

2. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How we looked

A win is nice but we did not look that great. Seemed that we had trouble stringing together more then 3 or 4 passes on many occasions and on other occasions, the passing looked alright. I guess what bothered me was the high number of unforced errors. I'm talking about poor passes that had nothing to do with pressure from Iceland. If not for the early goal (which ESPN2 missed, thank you very much) this game could have ended 0 - 0.

3. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    In general it is either screened hard shots from outside or a series of quick short acurate inside passes to draw the defense in followed by a snap shot or a pass on an angle for a shot.

Th US has the players and the skill and the power to do either but they are WAY to easy to read for either to work.

To see bunker breaking at its best see the Brazil men's team. (most of the time) They can usually break even top flight bunkers.

The US women are a skilled, realitive to the women's game, as th Barzil men are realitive to their game and the US should be able to break all but the best bunkers.

4. HenryFan14

HenryFan14 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jan 31, 2003
    any photos from last night's match?

5. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
  6. UP90

UP90 New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Georgia
    I wonder if USA's formation is hurting their ability to score? With that lineup last night you've got only two forwards, which means the other numbers in the box are midfielders. Other than Wagner and Lilly our midfielders aren't much of scoring threats.

7. SunnyJah

SunnyJah New Member

Oct 29, 2001
    depends on the season
    Cybersoccer News"
    "It was no doubt a success, but where is Abby Wambach?"

GOOD POINT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Speaking of Abigail...

I have asked this question in the Beulah forum but would like to get everyone's perspectives here.

Other than Abigail, the only tall "powerful" forward that Heinrichs has brought in on a regular basis is Parlow. I guess you could also make an argument that Welsh and Fotop have been given chances.

But if you were to use Parlow as the benchmark for a big forward..in what areas is Abigail lacking in?

And if Parlow was not to be used as the benchmark...what are Parlow's strengths/weaknesses compared to Abigail's strengths/weaknessess compared to (insert other big forwards here).

(Please no long diatribes...format your response with bullet points or something along those lines.)

9. UP90

UP90 New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Georgia
    Maybe Abby has played herself out of the picture by making mental lapses on the field. I was watching some old games on tape and noticed several occasions where Mia or some other player got mad because she didn't finish her near post runs.

10. Turk from Pigs Eye

Turk from Pigs Eye New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    Pigs Eye (St. Paul),
    I think the weather hurt the quality of the game last night. One commentator said the field was pretty slick.

I thought the US played the ball out of their back a little too soon. They might have held it up a little to draw them out.

Iceland had some good players but a lot of them looked heavy and slow.

11. tiej

tiej New Member

Nov 17, 2002
    Winston Salem, NC
    I was expecting to see Devvyn Hawkings along with Wambach :(

Well, Like Ape would say..I guess. Devvynn doesn't have home field expierence and Wambach Iternational experience.

It was a good game in spite of the rain and cold. Thanks's Aly Wagner for that pass. (again)

My player of the Match was Thora Helgadottir!
    keeping Island from embarresment.

12. tiej

tiej New Member

Nov 17, 2002
    Winston Salem, NC
  13. Homer

Homer New Member

Mar 4, 2001
    Missing starters

I would like to repeat what I said few days ago. Iceland were missing 7 starters that were playing in the WC qualification. This was due to injury and some of them were occupied with work, they are not proffs like the USA players. I do not know if you realize how this effected the team from a country with population of 280.000. I know Iceland has very good players but they have not played a match since September and that is just not enough.

14. Yankee_Blue

Yankee_Blue New Member

Aug 28, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Yep, Nomar was indeed spotted in town. Unfortunately, Mia's peon ex is over in the Middle East preparing for war. She did manage to dump him just in time.

15. melbrown

melbrown New Member

Aug 27, 2001
    She nearly yanked Jules shorts off there.

16. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just trying to get a souvenier. :)

17. NYC ugly

NYC ugly Member

Aug 7, 2000
    Very near my computer
    Heinrichs' team would continue to suck against teams who totally bunker down if she sticks with her very, very unimpressive "diamond" midfield formation. Heinrichs adopting the formation just because it works well for some European teams annoys the hell out of me.

18. AB1FAN

AB1FAN New Member

Sep 11, 2001
    whereever I want
    Club:
    FFC Turbine Potsdam
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they were more covered by blankets than the US. It was amusing.

19. AB1FAN

AB1FAN New Member

Sep 11, 2001
    whereever I want
    Club:
    FFC Turbine Potsdam
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was yelling about this pretty much the whole 2nd half.

20. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    Perhaps I'm missing the intended meaning, but what kind of dumb post was that?

21. outsidehitter

outsidehitter New Member

Jul 27, 2002
    Seriously. And I thought I was the only one who was missing something here.

22. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Is the team really gonna play Iceland again on 4/23!?!?!?!

23. jscott23

jscott23 Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Jan 24, 2003
    Poway, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a dreadful game! The referee was horrible, and should have not only awarded the penalty v. Pearce but Parlow should have been sent off for the elbow to the face of #10. The announcers are so blinded with patriotism that we rarely get any constructive criticism, ever! They're not commentators, just salesmen.

April's tactics once again have to be questioned. Why in God's green earth are we still playing with two forwards against a team with 10 players behind the ball? Why do we need to play with four at the back when other teams rarely play with more than one true striker? Where is the swagger, the skill, the brilliance that once made the US a great team to watch?

Hucles and Lilly rarely got into the box, so Wagner had very few options. Mia still works harder than anybody else, but Parlow showed her us her weaknesses time and time again. The goal was great if you didn't mind seeing it on replay for the first time. What kind of crowd did we all expect, really, during a rainstorm in the South. In spite of the horrible match in San Diego, why aren't these games being played in WUSA cities to help drive ticket sales for Year 3? US soccer needs the WUSA to thrive, for the sake of the national team. Don't think so? Ask Bruce Arena what a strong domestic league means to him.

Having coached and supported women's soccer at every level for the past 20 years, I am sad to see these kind of results from our WNT in a WWC year. If we are going to use these games to play kids, then play the kids. If we are preparing for the WWC then play the best players (Millie, Mac, Scurry, Fawcett) and get results! Until then I wish ESPN would just stop showing these games. Better yet, put them on PPV and let the federation see how much we care about these games.

24. kra2800

kra2800 New Member

Nov 1, 2002
    I don't really think that the hand ball should have been called since it was ball to hand vs hand to ball. Also #3 was not really under preasure which would perhaps have caused her to actually intend to help herself via a hand ball. On the other hand we probably should have been playing with ten players after Parlow's attack on the Iceland player. It seems that it was a little early in the match to be reacting so violently to admittedly some questionable defense. I'm glad she didn't catch that women in a more vulnerble spot as she could certainly have been seriously injured.

25. outsidehitter

outsidehitter New Member

Jul 27, 2002
    I miss the 4-3-3 with Hamm/Parlow/Milbrett up top :(