USA vs Iceland (R)

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by buff415, Feb 16, 2003.

1. piper

piper New Member

THAT GAME SUCKED A BIG WIENERDOTTIR!!!!

Brought to you by, a bitter midget.

2. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It wasn't that bad. It had moments.

3. piper

piper New Member

I know. :) The first half was good.

4. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    nahh, the second half was good.

that's when they brought on tarpley...

5. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The game in San Diego was bad.. This one at least had some creativity.

6. thegoofy1

thegoofy1 New Member

Dec 8, 2001
    Denver, CO
    True. That game was horrible. There was no need for a pbp because NOTHING HAPPENED!

7. JayJay

JayJay Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Brew City
    While the lack of finishes was a bit dissapointing (the Iceland gk played out of her mind), I really like the way the US was developing their attack was fun to watch.

For the good, I don't remember seeing a player that makes me as excited everytime they touch the ball the way Aly Wagner does. You just expect great things to happen when she is over the ball. Mia looked good and it was nice to see her play a full 90. Brandi is really doing a good job in her new role. The kids (Tarpley/O'Reilley) looked good and brought some energy into the game.

As for the bad, while I think Foudy does a good job defensively, her passes seem a little slow. She gives up the ball a lot. The few chances Kluegel had, she gave it up too. Although, with the D they were facing, you can't really judge too well, because the passes had to made though such tight spots. Beene, yuck, not a good performance, but I'm sure she'll rebound.

Overall, I thought it was a well played match. It would have been nice to see more goals, but they had some very nice looks. I also would have liked to see Hawkins get in. Come on April, show some love to the girl who scored the goal that won the 4 Nations tourny.

Jay

8. soccrgrlk13s8

soccrgrlk13s8 New Member

Jan 15, 2001
    FL
    Jena Kluegel does not deserve to be out there, and after that performance, does not deserve to be a starter in the WUSA. Most of her balls were giveaways and her decision making was terrible.
    It was so bad I can't even talk about it anymore...

9. soccrgrlk13s8

soccrgrlk13s8 New Member

Jan 15, 2001
    FL
    Wagner had an amazing ball to Hamm for the goal and while I missed most of the first half (forgot what time it started-I'm such a bad fan), there was a noticeable drop in the quality of play when she came out. She had a few good looks at goal and it was nice to see her creating opportunities for herself AND others.
    Hamm was working hard the whole game and I was disappointed she didn't finish her chance that hit the near side netting better. She also sent some nice balls in the box and I was hoping one of her efforts would have gone in.

10. Chiefs

Chiefs New Member

Dec 21, 2001
    I found the comment about how the game changed after ALY came out quite interesting.. I thought I was just imagining it, as I am a real big fan of hers, but I too thought we stopped controling the game as we had been when she was sat down. In fact Iceland even formed a few chances with more than one player after she left. It's too bad one of those shots she took did not find the back of the net as they were really quality efforts. Her interviews were also very polished.

11. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution; Boston Breakers
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not me. I got to see Hucles and Kluegel together a couple dozen times last season and I feel that Hucles is a more complete player. Jena is a lightweight defensively and her passing can be a disaster.

That said, I don't think that Hucles helped her cause with today's performance. Angela made some good runs to space, but she did not take on any players with the dribble. Contrast that with the play of the "kiddies" in the second half. Tarpley and O'Reilly would beat a player and move in before dishing off a pass. The ball stayed on the ground more and created some decent opportunities. Hucles seemed content to lob in a cross from 30 yds. rather than penetrate.

12. Re: And what if Landon and Bianca went out on a double date with ...

I know he is/was in town...he was spotted at a pizza joint called the "mello mushroom" this week. Foudy was there too on a different night.

13. lasoccervegas2002

Jul 7, 2002
    this planet
    that was another disrespect towards soccer by espn.

14. soccermonkey19

soccermonkey19 New Member

Nov 17, 2000
    Mississippi
    Re: Re: And what if Landon and Bianca went out on a double date with ...

He was in town. Today he was at the Hitter's Hall of Fame somwheres in Florida to honor Ted Williams.

Okay, I do believe my favorite moment of the match was when that guy ran on the field. Mia's reaction cracked me up. She had her leg back and was about to blast a serve into the box and he runs in front of her, and she puts her leg down slowly and just kinda stares at him. LOL. Then her and Julie started laughing. I think they were making fun of him. And that security guard was speedy, maybe he was wearing the new Nikes. :D

15. lasoccervegas2002

Jul 7, 2002
    this planet
    the Iceland players are all come from the same family they have all the same last name dotir

16. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    So is this the same squad that goes over to Portugal or can April add/remove players in the next couple of weeks?

17. nsa

nsa Member+

United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Players will be added (and subtracted) to make up the 20 going to Spain. Probably a good topic for a new thread. The decision of who to take is made difficult by the desire of the WUSA teams to keep players for pre-season training. For example, I can't see 4 Boston Breakers going overseas in the middle of March with their first league game coming April 5th.

18. nsa

nsa Member+

United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lasoccervegas2002, you are a clueless twit. :)

19. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
  20. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing better than a 1-0 game with ESPN missing the only goal!!!

Shades of the old NASL----"let's go to a commercial......."

What a waste of time it is scheduling a team which keeps 11 players in its own
    penalty area.......:(

21. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    In Iceland the suffix Dotir means "Daughter of" so Helgadoiter means "Daughter of Helga."

It is the traditional way of naming female children.

23. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    It is a good thing!

In the WWC that is EXACTLY what we will face should many of the teams get an early goal.

The ability to break a bunker is one of the things that made the US great in the past and the inability to break a bunker is lowering the US down to the rest of the world under April.

Earlier teams, under Diccio and Dorance, would have, I believe, mannaged 3-5 goals even in the conditions and against the bunker we faced Sunday.

The talent of the world has gone up but so has ours, our tallent is just not being managed well and the easy reads the other teams have of our attacks make for low scoring games with 2nd, and even 3rd, rate teams able to stay close enough to us to have a chance. See Japan and Iceland games.

24. HenryFan14

HenryFan14 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jan 31, 2003