Post-match: USA vs Honduras Gold Cup Semi final [R]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by voros, Jul 23, 2009.

1. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Post Match Thread Started.

Have to hand it to Carlos Costly. That might be the first dive I've ever seen that warranted a straight red. Reminds of me of Luis Hernandez in his prime.

2. PastFBCoach

PastFBCoach New Member

Aug 10, 2008
    Gettysburg, PA
    A win is a win, but no style points for this one.

3. wooglin12

wooglin12 Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rep for whoever can get goals a minute for Coop.

that's right. rep from ME!

4. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holden's stock is rising very quickly. He's my MOTM.

Rogers bounces back nicely.

Heaps, once again, did not suck.

5. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a function of his limited responsibilities:

1. Clear the ball.
    2. See No. 1.

6. Pinowski AP

Pinowski AP Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weak showing by Ching, IMO. He has been having a hard time finishing.

Overall, an OK performance by the team. At the beginning of the second half we did very well.

7. aarond23

aarond23 Member+

Feb 24, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am glad they are making the finals. It surely wasn't pretty. We have to remind ourselves over and over that this is indeed the 3rd/4th stringers. Its a good accomplishment for them to have done what they have done.

Cooper needs to start the finals, I think thats pretty clear, though he might have been offsides on his goal. Ching and Arnaud provided pretty much nothing.

8. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Solid, methodical win. At no point did you feel like Honduras was a danger to win this game.

Holden was the class of the field, but I liked Marshall, Goodsen and Perkins efforts.

Ching played well as well.

9. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    He also supported the attack moderately well and was dangerous on set pieces several times.

10. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Not the most fluid game, but the U.S. definitely had the edge in terms of viable scoring chances. Good stuff from a b/c team.

11. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, he was behind the ball. Honduras seemed to forget that part when running their offside trap on the play.

12. aarond23

aarond23 Member+

Feb 24, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What did he have 2 chances in the box in 90 minutes? He might have worked hard otherwise but you have to do better.

13. JHickman

JHickman Member

Jun 7, 2009
    Southeast
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a Ching fan at all, but he brought it tonight. Great job by him.

Holden excellent. I'd really like to see Cooper get some extended minutes.

Well done, boys!

14. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He did make a nice backheel on the second goal.

Ching's problem is he's just so ungainly out there. Sure he has the ability to draw a foul in a dangerous area on a nothing play, but he also has the ability to completely squelch very promising attacks by being unable to control the ball on the run. Stationary, he does just fine. But he just can't control the ball when he's moving with any kind of speed.

15. narko

narko New Member

Jul 16, 2007
    North Carolina
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ching and arnaud are going to be bruised as ******** tomorrow lol. those two took a beating from the honduran defenders

16. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Team brought a lot of energy in. Rogers pushed early, created the corner that created the first goal and defense was good all night-hopefully his head is okay. Holden is better when he can move around centrally. Reminds me if what Freddy can do when he is in form (but Holden has more defense).

Keeper def stepped up. Beckerman was pretty quiet but had a hand in last goal.

17. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair to Rogers he gets sort of a half-assist on goal number one. He made a nifty touch to pop it over a defender and race by him toward goal. The keeper saved his "shoss/crot" and Goodson scored on the ensuing corner.

Edit: I owe Missionary a coke.

18. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USSoccer announced Goodson was the official MOTM

I would have said Holden was MOTM, but I don't want to take anything away from Goodson. He did play well

19. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have not had that since Goose Lake...

20. wooglin12

wooglin12 Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, has Holden for the time being taken Freddy's once-guaranteed ticket to SA?

Maybe he shouldn't have gone to Benfica.

21. aarond23

aarond23 Member+

Feb 24, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goodson did have a good game, both with the goal and on defense, seems like he was more motivated after the goal to try to make it stand up. Great showing by him.

Holden is the default MOTM for this team because he is by far the best at controlling the ball, making runs and taking chances.

Perkins had a nice game too, again we take keepers for granted but I don't think he's made a mistake the whole tournament.

22. Tmagic77

Tmagic77 Member+

Feb 10, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Holden was easily the MOTM in my opinion. Beckerman played well too. I thought Arnaud was awful, lots of really bad touches and passes.

Holy shit was that ref horrible. Let everything go and blew two clear cut PK calls within 4 minutes of the second half.

23. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bluecat's dumb question of the night...

Has any country ever made the finals in two different official FIFA tournaments in the same calendar year - senior or youth?

I would think it's pretty rare...

24. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    Ching was repeatedly outstanding, and that spin move of his is become quite the effective move to free space in the box.

Stuart Holden is due a promotion at the expense of Sacha Klejstan. His set piece delivery is fantastic.

Chad Marshall is better than Danny Califf. What a signing he'd be for a Dutch, Danish or even a German side.

Heath Pearce is starting to get some sharpness, and I hope he comes to MLS or somewhere else he can get games every week.

Robbie Rogers shows flashes of talent, but could use a few years playing in Scandanvia or the English Championship to force him to fight for his spot and tighten up his game.

Clarence Goodson improves every time I see him, and I'd wager he gets sold on from Norway in the next year or two.

Kyle Beckerman probably would be looking to break through to the squad, if Benny Feilhaber wasn't in his way.

Kenny Cooper and Santino Quaranta both made an impact coming on. Cooper looks so much better when he keeps things simple, combines with his teammates, and gets in front of the net.

This Gold Cup run will work wonders for US depth going forward. You now have an entire squad worth of different guys who have a host of competitive games learning how to play for Bob Bradley.

25. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    You Heaps bashers really need to give it a rest. Not only did he not suck but he had a very strong game. He had two excellent headers on goal which was two more than Ching had, and was unlucky not to score. Made numerous stops and good blocks. Give him the credit he deserves

PS - He'll also start the final so GET OVER IT