Post-match: USA vs. Guyana, June 18, 2019 - Gold Cup

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by schrutebuck, Jun 18, 2019.

1. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    you have to call someone who had been on the first list provided and nagbe wasn't on it.

I think they are avoiding picking julian green because they know greatness will just magically appear I think berhalter is just trying to find everyone else and then right before the world cup....then he'll magically appear in the 10 jersey after back to back champions leagues victories and every individual award available in europe for the previous 24 months...it will be glorious. unless its part over the gunner-green secret pact for green to say quiet and hide to shock the world when the time comes. is that it?

nagbe is terrible stop naming random guys its just a terrible look.

how about tommy thompson
    its like ur in a secret race to name the most obscure guy you can think of to sound smart.

2. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I see little nuance in your discussion at all.

It's full boar, anti-Berhalter, anti-USSF in every discussion. You are picking fights over Julian Green versus Djordje Mihailovic as if it matters. It doesn't, both are subpar now and only Djordje has much of a shot to improve to required levels.

You are picking a fight over why doesn't that biased media ask Berhalter why he doesn't call in a dude who will be 35 and an outside player in 2022 when he's already addressed the point. In the media.

You also seem to completely misunderstand any attempt at building a roster with a balance of youth and experience, building something over time, etc.

Most of the criticism is extremely unnuanced, frankly.

Dr Jay, Honore de Ballsac and CMeszt repped this.
  3. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have absolutely zero social media presence, not even a facebook account.

4. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any serious anarchist has formal gatherings. Not all gatherings are formal, but the formal ones definitely have agendas to organize the discussion and move forward on what works and what doesn't, and where we want to go.

DHC1 repped this.
  5. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great description of Zardes. I hope he goes into coaching because for all he lacks in pure physical talent, he makes up for in his understanding of the game and where to be. No one has EVER knocked him for his understanding. He'll be a great forwards' coach some day, but not likely ever more than a decent forward.

CMeszt, ChrisSSBB and napper repped this.
  6. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really appreciate your reason and striving for factual analysis. Sometimes it's over the top when we consider that, at the end of the day, we're addressing inquantifiables that are inherent in sports, particularly the one we discuss here.

Honore de Ballsac and DHC1 repped this.
  7. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice. Any chance you can provide a link?

DHC1 repped this.
  8. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nagbe was on the 40 man preliminary roster.

CMeszt repped this.
  9. OfficeSpace

OfficeSpace Red Card

United States
    Jun 8, 2019
    No, as should have been obvious to you.

10. OfficeSpace

OfficeSpace Red Card

United States
    Jun 8, 2019
    Can you think of another forum where "enthusiasts" are more gleeful to whine about the thing that enthuses them than this one?

MPNumber9 repped this.
  11. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    #561 CMeszt, Jun 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    I went on a 6 week twitter hiatus but it just caused me to post on BigSoccer more. (what happens when a lot of your job involves sitting in front of a computer screen) Honestly this place is more conspiracy-minded than politics twitter at times.

F-ck, it's almost ALWAYS more conspiracy-minded than my psychiatry clinic.

12. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Check out the NASA Spaceflight Forums.

13. OfficeSpace

OfficeSpace Red Card

United States
    Jun 8, 2019
    Again, reading is fundamental.

This is what he said:

This is obviously, 100% untrue.

14. OfficeSpace

OfficeSpace Red Card

United States
    Jun 8, 2019
    It's been posted several times you're just in denial.

15. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Both of these are true, really.

16. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Both of these are true, really.

(again)

17. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    He's now in MLS. Officially invisible. :p

18. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Timmy Chandler had a lousy game versus Guyana, it was like he wasn't even playing...

Marius Tresor and Winoman repped this.
  19. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    #569 CMeszt, Jun 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    His heart really wasn't in it. No effort to play for the shirt at all on Tuesday night.

dlokteff, Winoman and Lloyd Heilbrunn repped this.
  20. FeedhimtothepigsArold

Apr 7, 2014
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    Maybe he will actually become visible now. Such a waste. Damn shame

21. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The truly mentally ill post at /pol/.

Right now, we look about the same as Costa Rica, Canada and Honduras, a bit below Jamaica, and Mexico and Panama look like the class in the region.

If we finish second in the group, we may get past Jamaica, but I don't see us getting past Panama.

22. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    My major QAnon follower just demanded a change of psychiatrist because I wouldn't file paperwork related to disability for her shoulder injury (in a mental health clinic, it makes as much sense as you'd think). Now I'm stuck with you people when I need unhinged conspiracies.

No one looks exactly good right now. The Costa Rica game that just wrapped up was entertaining, but honestly they were lucky that Bermuda's strikers somehow had a worse first touch than Zardes for the fact they got three points. I only got to listen to audio of the Mexico/Canada game while driving, but it sounded like a game of two teams pouncing on the others's blunders. I saw the first half of Panama/T&T before turning it to the Copa, but neither team seemed to be able to generate much offense in that one.

Mexico looks like the class of the tournament so far, but they still look like they have some kinks to work out.

Suyuntuy and ChrisSSBB repped this.
  23. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    re nagbe- is there really nothing between "most overrated" and "one of the best in the world"? no other options?

one thing this thread (well, the venezuela post-game thread mostly, but its all just a pile of garbage arguments split into two smaller piles) has made me think of is i wonder how a lot of these posts would have been different had johnsons transfer to cincy gone though.

would he have definitely been in the team due to "MLS BIAS!"? would he be the world beater he is in absentia if we could easily watch him playing averagely when not injured? what position would he play/bs insist he SHOULD play while railing on berhalters other position changes? which way would people manipulate his age as opposed to now?

just a thought i had...

tomásbernal repped this.
  24. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ironic. You're wrong even now.

FJ is brought up in the same vein as other players who will be too old in 2022, like Ream, Gonzo, and Bradley.

If you want older players with experience, there are players in better form that ALSO don't have the stink of Cuova on them. Bedoya, Besler, FJ, etc.

I'm exhausted going around in circles with you people, and it's frankly not worth it anymore. You can't understand, won't understand, and frankly refuse to understand just about anything that I post. I don't know if it's willful, or if you're unable to, but I'm done trying to reason with you and a_new_fan.

25. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    This is why u are the best poster here. You've made julian green ur hero which is amazing and ur proof is four goals over 5 years lol. Now the backups are Fabian Johnson and timmy Chandler who are both coming off the worst and most injury plagued season0s of their career but u have to go with them because you really are mad at Michael Bradley lol.

We don't understand anything u post because their is no thought or reasoning to it. You are picking random guys thinking the problem with the us team is this single problem that can be fixed by a single move because u don't actually understand how many issues there really are and what those issues are....whole reading this a bunch of tin foil hat theories are going around in ur head that is the problem.