USA vs Guatemala 03/30/05 - First hand accounts from Birmingham

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by nyrmetros, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, also...

It's something that we've discussed before, but I've always felt that the model we should be striving for would be less European and more of the Cameron Crazies...

But that's a subject for probably yet another thread...

2. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bruce, cap this kid NOW! ;)

3. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You said exactly what I wanted to say....especially the LA Reject chant. That was the most fun. Plus I've never had so much fun booing every call the ref made.

And my daughter and I are hooked. OUr first time in Sam's Army. And we, too, are already making plans for Mexico in Columbus. In fact, we're dreaming of somehow becoming independently wealthy and just traveling around to every game the Nats play. That would be a dream come true. It was that much fun. Driving 13 hours from Texas each way, was well worth it.

The most outrageous thing: While we were stuck in traffic during the hail/lightening/torrential downpour, a couple of Guatemala fans rolled down their windows and tried to pick up me and my daughter. They were wondering if we were going back to Texas that night or could we party with them. I guess the old lady's still got it. :D

4. bostonbully

bostonbully New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Got a little story that perhaps shows how Guatemalan's travel to support their team:

Upon arriving in Birmingham on Tuesday night around 8 pm I went straight to my hotel to check-in before heading out for a bite and a choice beverages. As I pulled into the hotel parking lot, the first thing I saw were about 30 Guatemalan fans decked out in white and blue jersies and an assortment of Guate t-shirts proclaiming their favored team. They were meandering about, seemingly waiting for something but never going anywhere as if they owned to parking lot.

I parked the car and went straight inside the hotel lobby to check-in. I picked up my keycards, grab my bags, and proceeded to my room on the 7th floor. En route to the elevator, I heard laughter and song and celebrating coming from one of the hotel meeting rooms. Inside were about 25 Guatemalan fans, also sporting their team colors, smiling and laughing and drinking Corona's and Heineken's. On the table were at least 50 empty green and clear bottles along with four or five Corona and Heineken empty cardboad containers from which they came. And on the floor were two stacks of 12-packs: 4 or 5 Heineken 12-packs lined up next to 4 or 5 Corona 12-packs. I couldn't help but smile and, when they noticed me poke my head in the room, I gave them a resounding thumbs up. "Good luck tomorrow, boys and girls", I offered before hitting the elevator and dumping my bags in the room. It was about 9 pm.

Nearby in the town of Homewood I found a local Bar and Grill where I grabbed dinner and a few drinks while watching some NIT action on the bar television. Being a Tuesday night, the place started shutting not long after I started to get comfortable. Before I knew it, it was last call and I found myself back in the hotel by 12:30 am. En route to the elevator, my Guatemalan compadres, still at about the same numbers, were laughing and smiling and having a good time. They were surrounded by nearly a hundred empties. And there was still more beer to drink. After applauding their longevity, I headed off to my room for a good night's sleep.

I awoke early on Wednesday and immediately laced up my running shoes and headed out into the Birmingham morning for a run. Before I got out the door, noise from the hotel meeting room caught my ear. I couldn't believe: Guatemalan's, about 15 strong, were STILL drinking beer, laughing, and smiling. I headed out for a run and, learning quickly, knew they'd still be laughing and smiling when I returned. And they were.

My morning got rolling as I headed off into the city to see a few sights and get in some touristy things. I returned to the hotel around 1 pm to collect my belongs and match tickets in preperation to meet fellow supporters back in the city for a few pre-tailgate pops. Upon entering the hotel and heading toward the elevator, I was stopped in my tracks. In the meeting room, the Guatemalans -- the very same ones I saw the night before who were still there this very morning! -- were still partying strong. Their faces were more red than before. But they were still laughing, still smiling, and still talking soccer. There were so many empties that you could not see the tabletops.

The Guatemalan's "tailgate" had started the night before. Mine was just starting.

5. rlo127

rlo127 New Member

Mar 28, 2005
    wheaton, md
    sorry this is a bit late but here's a link w/the pics i took at the game. just so ya'll know this album has pics of us driving & the lovely scenery to birmingham (sarcasm) so don't mind those :)
    USA VS GUATEMALA PICS

6. WarrenAbao

WarrenAbao New Member

Jul 7, 1999
    Grand Prairie, Tex.
    I flew up to Atlanta on Wednesday morning, met up with Soccer Elvis (not in costume for this match), who flew into Hartsfield from Jacksonville, and we took a rental to Birmingham (stopping along the I-20 for a disposable cooler and mucho beer -- survival rations, if you will). I was wearing my 9-11-01 red shirt that Bigdog made for a bunch of us before the Jamaica WCQ in Foxboro, just after 9-11. (Dog, I wanted to compliment you on splurging to give us quality shirts that have lasted four years; my Johnny Cash tee fell apart after its first wash.)

Fortunately, Soccer Elvis works in the travel industry so he was able to hook us up in the Sheraton for a very, very low price. And just our luck -- it happened to be the same hotel the USNT were staying at! We got into B'ham too late to meet up with the gang that gathered at Dreamland, so after unpacking we headed to Legion Field.

The Chapines, with their flags, banners, and jerseys were already gathered in front of the main gate. I mingled with them occasionally (mostly when we were all queued for the port-o-potties, which they didn't have for the Ecuador friendly in B'ham -- I guess the hedges and fences were spared this time). We met up with Bill Fetty and Jordan (breaking his National Team match cherry) who came over from South Carolina, then later the ESC and ATL crew drove up. Walt Wheeler eventually showed up, disappeared, and re-appeared again. Andy Mead (I never realized how much I drink -- I never thought I'd miss that Newcastle that I gave to you) and Scott Bales came by -- YCJ represent! I was pleasantly surprised when I saw fellow Floridians Lynn, Christine, Bill, etc. there as well!

The match was great -- sure, the final result was a big help, but the enthusiasm of the pro-USA crowd (regardless of whether they were in the supporter's section or not) was a big boost. I came into the match not at 100% (I had this sore throat, which, after the match, became temporary laryngitis after all the singing and screaming -- until Saturday). I was so happy to see the USNT never let their foot of the proverbial gas pedal against Guatemala.

The only minus of the trip was that we didn't get a chance to go to Five Points South after the match (because of the heavy rains, thunder, lightning, and hail -- f***ing Southern spring weather). So we hung about in the sports bar in the hotel, watching the USSF players and coaching staff wander in and out (Convey still looks like a 14 year-old). Soccer Elvis was wearing his Preston North End jersey, which Brian McBride and Eddie Lewis picked up on right away. (And Eddie better have, because Elvis had Lewis' name on number on the back!)

We drove back to Atlanta on Thursday morning (STILL raining hard...all along I-20, to our consternation) and flew back home.

See y'all in Chicago for England!

7. vflkirwan

vflkirwan Member

Mar 28, 2000
    North Jersey
    Club:
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. rickr

rickr New Member

May 3, 2002
    San Diego
    I was at the game and the only negative thing we had to deal with was that the Guatemalan fans tried to take over all of the reserved seats in the area around me.

They pretended not to understand what I was talking about, but then I broke into Spanish and got my seats. For the nex 45 min. I saw the routine played out another half dozen times.

By half time it was almost all American fans.

9. msfurnas

msfurnas New Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Birmingham
    Same thing happened a couple of years ago when the US played Honduras(?) in Birmingham. I arrived about an hour before the game and away fans had filled the midfield stands to which none of them had tickets. By game time US fans had kicked them out but it seems to be a theme.

10. bostonbully

bostonbully New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston, MA
    This happened in my section, too. In fact, I think the reason the Guatemalan fans did this is a combination of what you say -- that they pretended not to understand seat assignments -- coupled with that I think they truly did not understand that in America, assigned seating is followed as if the law of the land. After the match I got into talking with one Guatemalan who said that in his country assigned seating was very loosely adhered to, if at all, that most events have categorical admission, not seat.

Mind you, my sampling was only one Guate.

On the flipside, weren't most of these Guate fans from here (America). If so, they should know our customs by now...

11. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they understand, but don't follow seating assignments unless they have to. Many a time have I had people istting in my regular seats at RFK. They just move aside to the next closest block of seats.