Pre-match: USA vs France; June 9th, 2018

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Sebsasour, Jun 2, 2018.

1. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    we have a new claim for worst post of the year.

Just would like one simple answer...how do you play...more then to win the game? just trying to score more goals to score more goals isn't a better strategy you can't pretend that throwing guys forward doesn't make you vulnerable on the defensive end. Assuming that you will just score enough goals to cover the conceded goals is a very risky idea and far more so then playing just to go undefeated. France didn't have a modric ball controlling midfielder so the idea they should've just sat on the ball is crazy. it amazes me that people still confuse poss numbers with being offensive and sitting back and counter attacking is somehow a bad style. Also love the 'if they would've played germany...yeah the team that scored 2 goals in three matches and lost to south korea 2-0 in their must win match...really would've taken it to france lol)

2. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    In case you're unaware. When I see, "a_new_fan," as the poster, I ignore the material posted and move to the next post in a thread. No interest in falling into a swamp of strawmanning counterclaims, and personal attacks. How about steel manning someone's arguments for once? It's a rhetorical question.

3. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    the strawman argument is that france somehow didn't play the correct strategy while winning the world cup because a guy who has coached zero games professionally or on any level above u9 small town club soccer thinks he had a better strategy in which done better then winning the tournament which is amazing because winning the tournament...means you did the best. History will remember that france won and everyone else lost. I don't see the complaints about Spain winning with like 8 goals in the entire tournament people called that the golden generation and that tiki taka had changed the game forever...until people realized tiki taka is a lot of short passes that don't go anywhere if you just sit back defend and clog up the box. they also only gave up two goals in that tourney they were really boring. France scored 14 goals and gives up 6 but they somehow just boringly sat back and defended lol. guys like mbappe/greizmann/pogba excel with space in front of them sitting back and allow the other team to get spread out to do that is the absolutely correct decision. the teams that got it wrong are the teams that tried to go at them and fall into it with kante waiting to turn them over and start the break. the correct strategy is to sit back and defend and give france poss they didn't have a great passing team in tight spaces and it would've eaten up a ton of the space mbappe used to kill teams.

if you aren't happy I replied maybe you can explain it because both of the guys that have insisted france manager got it wrong have failed to impress so far. the one guy went as far as to say he didn't even get the right roster lol, he has yet to post his though.

I also haven't personally attacked anyone if someone makes a terrible post I have to call it terrible.

4. Hang man

Hang man New Member

Partick Thistle
    United States
    Feb 17, 2013
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i could be ultra critical about any world cup winner.
    Let's see:
    74: Holland was the best team
    78: match fixing
    82: italy's best player was a match fixer. brasil was the best team
    86: maradona was a cheat
    90: germany was lucky to win the semi on penalties
    94: brasil won only by penalties
    98: france was lucky to beat paraguay in et and italy on penalties
    02: rivaldo was a cheat at the team they played in the final was crap
    06: italy won the final by penalties. should have lost to the usa
    10:spain won all those games just 1-0
    14:germany should have lost to argentina and ghana