Post-match: USA vs England 11/15/2018

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Susaeta, Nov 15, 2018.

1. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    I'm crappy w/the quote function, but hopefully I'm getting it right here. You're arguing against a point I never actually made here. I thought Bradley should have been sent out on an iceberg a long time ago, his performance down the stretch was criminal, his leadership non-existent. I've argued the point that if anyone could bridge the Euro-MLS/Germerican divide it should have been the guy who grew up practicing with the Chicago Fire, developed with the youth squads then moved to Europe for an eight year European run in the Netherlands, Germany, England and Italy and then back to the MLS again. Instead the locker room was a total s-show with multiple media pieces describing the situation in horrific terms under both Klinsy and Arena. Instead of healing and bridging divides things only got progressively worse. I do not know how much is Bradley's fault, but I know that as Captain he failed in his two jobs: 1.) Leadership in the lockeroom and on the field and 2.) leading the team to the World Cup in a region which makes it a virtual cakewalk to make the playoff, and easy to finish at least top 3. He failed in both those objectives horrendously and was a total disaster. He absolutely was not fine. That being said, while he probably didn't help matters as he should have with Cameron, Cameron owns a ton of responsibility too and shielded himself from all such responsibility much like Gulati, and to a less degree Bradley and Arena (I give Arena a 1/4 mulligan on that particular issue as he did fire himself before he got fired, no such luck until the 11th hour with idiot Gulati.

Oh, I think MLS/SUM is a total horror show as well, but again, I'm not scapegoating anyone, Cameron, like all the rest of the vets failed in delivering a World Cup qualification campaign successfully, and unlike the rest of the guys, Cameron's rep was a black cloud according to multiple sources, and media reps. That means something. You can pretend all you want that it doesn't, but with our cowardly, chicken bleep, total wuss soccer press, if there was any chance of falsely reporting that do you think they would have? They can barely hang the cojones to write a negative report after a loss let alone report like any other part of the national media in any other major sport. And btw, enough with the ---- news b.s. The last thing we need is to make that line so common as to become de reguerre in references to the media and reporting. At a time when reporters are being killed all over the place the last thing we need is to make that "stick" anymore than it already has in people's everyday diction and mentality when considering the media.

*I don't know if he's better than WTF90, I just know neither have any business on the field, for entirely different reasons. AS USMNT players, there is no contest obviously. Cameron has him six ways from Sunday and another half dozen cliche's regarding superiority in terms of competence.

*Agreed on the USSF, and MLS and SUM. In terms of the players themselves, I'll leave that to other posts as my response here was mostly related to you misinterpreting/writing a story about my take that actually doesn't remotely match my opinions other than w/regards to Cameron specifically and alone (and mostly, not totally).

Namdynamo, TOAzer and y-lee-coyote repped this.
  2. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    There have been some posters in the youth forum who have done an absolutely brilliant job of keeping us up to date on the recovery of the program from 2015-2019. The kids from the '97 to at least '01 or '02 look to be fantastic, and essentially, a remingling w/the good feelings of the US program circa 1999-2007 in terms of tournaments (as long as you avert your eyes from the '05 U-20 team, and the '07 U-17 team), and to my mind, '95-'03 looks like the best ever era in terms of youth development for the USMNT in regards to a big chunk of time. We won't know for sure for another five years or so, but right now, if I were to lay down bets, I'd say if the kids stay healthy, the generation of US youth players born between about 1995 and 2003 or so are the best ever generation of American players. We'll see how things play out, as has been mentioned before, the jump from prospect to club player is a much bigger jump than that from a "nobody" to a "prospect", and the jump from club player to legit stud, First XI caliber talent is much larger still.

So the next 3 years will tell the tale with finality regarding kids born 1995-1999 or thereabouts,but we won't know for sure with the '00-'03 kids until probably 2022-2025, so a long road to travel still, but for now, things look super promising long term. Again though, the next 2-3 years are gonna be real bumpy, two most important things to focus on: 1) Players stay healthy (this has been the concern with Nick Taitague) and 2.) Players develop the mental toughness, diligence, and tools necessary to deal with the ups and downs of making it as a professional on a club team (this has been the concern with Haji Wright though this season has gone much better than last).

TOAzer and Winoman repped this.
  3. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    The number one reason why the latest generations are better than the Adu generation is that there are simply more players of elite quality. Adu didn't pan out and who was there to take his place? Nobody. The 1997s biggest promise was Zelalem but there were other mids to take his place. McK and Adams are maybe not as silky as he is but they are NT level. Wright was as big a prospect for many as Pulisic. Josh Perez was up there. They may or may not make it but there will be others to take his place. The current crop of U-20s walking through qualification are missing multiple players. They still look great.

4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    So you are saying that without Trapp we'd be a lot better offensively? You think one player makes that much of a difference against these teams? Its not that they have World Cup winners, starters for Champions League teams, and we are starting fourth division and second division players?

We've always been bad offensively against these teams because we don't have the offensive talent. We haven't always been good defensively. The one game Trapp didn't play against one of those good teams (Colombia), we gave up four goals. We haven't given up more than two with Trapp in the game.

Excellency repped this.
  5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He has to want to go out on loan. He didn't want to in the summer. PSG told him he wouldn't play. When you are guaranteed NT call ups because you train with Neymar, maybe you'll take training with Neymar, playing against reserve players you can dominate, and NT call ups.

An Unpaved Road repped this.
  6. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    he said he didnt want to go out on loan then as he would prefer to work on his game in training with world class player and didnt need the pressure to perform. he wanted to improve and mature before going out on loan. crazy kids!!!!

50/50 Ball repped this.
  7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    For those that don't want to take him up on his offer, Adams has 1 arrow inside his own third of the third, the rest are in the middle third or attacking third. Adams does not play as a holding midfielder at the club level.

8. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    he may not play there at the club level, but he looked significantly better in that role when given the chance.

I'd guess his club was focused on developing him as a player and maximizing his value. The 19 yo kid still needs work but doesnt have the skill to play in an advanced role at a high level. I'd love to be proved wrong but think he could play as a dmid at a pretty high level in less than a year. hopefully his club let's him play multiple roles before settling on one for him.

9. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    In that one game most of his actions were higher. One game. I guess we have dispensed with Adam's is only a right back and now he is a AM? What disturbs you so much about Adams?

European scouts are split on whether his best position is 8 or 6 or 10 long term. He has played all over midfield for NY. We will see what Leipzig do with him.

10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Nothing disturbs me about Adams. None of this disturbs me. Its a football discussion. I think many fans are mistyping Adams game. Why would you think Adams disturbs me?

I happen to think there are a lot of fans who offer very simplistic analysis, and this is one of those cases. Excellency made a good point about the positions Adams took up in a recent big game. "An expert" directly compared Adams and Trapp in that game, even though they play different positions. None of this makes any sense, if there's more than very basic analysis used here. Too many don't care for actual analysis, they just want to make the NT their own pet project. They want to conduct a prospect showcase for the USMNT.

11. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    A look at Transfermrkt shows that Adams almost always lines up as a DM. I watch the NYRB, that is where he plays. I think it is strange that posters here try to assert otherwise. It is done quite often.

Namdynamo, #8or#6 and TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  12. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Is there a bigger "pet project" in USMNT history than making Trapp captain and a 90 minute player?

13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Patrick, I think you are a good poster, but this post makes absolutely no sense.

I just expanded on the point that Excellency was making. His point was about data that tracks Adams contributions from a recent match. You are trying to explain that the graphics that teams use initially listed Adams in a two man CM. Formations graphics often don't properly represent the positions that players take up within a match. I'm sure you know this. You could look at the map from the first leg. He had less than five passes within his own third of the field. I'm sure if you looked at his map from the whole season, you'd see very few touches in his own third. Thats because he does not take up the position of a holding midfielder in his on-field contributions.

Could he play it? Up for debate. If you think he can, you should think that. I am not trying to deny you your opinion. I'm merely stating that I have yet to see any evidence for this claim that Adams has shown he can play as a holding midfielder.

14. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't buy into the nonsense. Adams plays the #6 for NYRB.

Anyone who actually watches them knows that NYRB plays a 4-2-3-1 and Adams plays the deeper more defensive of the 2 DMs. The scheme is more of a double 6 because neither DM routinely charges or even builds box-to-box. The scheme is essentially a modified version of the RB 4-2-2-2 box with Kaku tucked in a free role behind BWP

NYRB plays a high press which looks to turn their opponents over typically midfield wide and they then try to play very direct in transition. Their front 4 and a fullback, typically Murillo are responsible for building their attack with both DMs providing cover. Adams has been the best US eligible DM in MLS this year with Canouse a close 2nd. I doubt you will find a single knowledgeable pundit who watches MLS that would dispute that fact.

Part of the noise you are hearing is the remnants of a group who have been hyping Trapp for a couple of years who were even suggesting pre Copa100 that Trapp should replace Jermaine Jones on the USMNT :eek:

Thankfully, most rational observers have fled the Trapp bandwagon after seeing just how over his head he is at the international level. Some like Matt Doyle are pretending they were not leading that doomed wagon, least the stench clings to them.

Namdynamo, Patrick167 and #8or#6 repped this.
  15. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Yes, the project to find a real contender to take the position away from Trapp.

I loved the way people talked about how bad Trapp was which opened the door to bring Bradley in against Colombia - partnering with the great Kellyn Acosta, another great fave around here. Colombia 4 - USA 2.

No Trapp. 4GA. Congrats suckers. How about you guys come up with a real contender.

Here's McKennie (click on @away_goals)

16. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please show me a quote where anyone anywhere ever said that he projects best a 10...

17. TMBMiles

TMBMiles Member

Dortmund
    United States
    Mar 31, 2017
    Losing 4-2 to Colombia with the squad they brought was not one of our worst performances this year.

We actually had 49% possession that game.

18. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Adams is playing a lot like Armas these days. I'm worried Adams will end up like Wes who pulled out of the Italy game. Notice how much better developed Adams is than McKennie. Wes went to Germany and looks lost at the international level whereas Adams has been playing for Armas and is starring big time.

Hopefully Sarachan can play Adams with Trapp and you will see the difference in quality. It would help if he added Delgado to the mix.

You agree on McKennie v. Adams, right?

19. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I was so convinced by your argument and I already notified FIFA to reverse the score and they agreed to change it to USA 4 - 2 Colombia.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  20. TMBMiles

TMBMiles Member

Dortmund
    United States
    Mar 31, 2017
    Are we just going to check the W/L column and use that as a determinant for how well the team/individual players played in games this year?

I mean, you can if you want I guess, but that's not going to help you out with your argument for Trapp. The only other game he didn't start in, we had a clean sheet and had our highest goal output of the year.

21. WrmBrnr

WrmBrnr Member+

Apr 12, 2001
    San Carlos
    Wow. So you support Phiily Jawn and his anti-semetic post. That is pretty despicable.

22. vexco

vexco Member+

Nov 2, 2013
    He was? He's been healthy the past 4 months and in the 17 games he's started, DC lost 2. WS rating 7.28 while at DM, higher pass success % than Trapp, better defensively and more athletic. He was better than Trapp this year and deserves more than 1 game.

23. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I'm the first in line to bring Canouse in to challenge for the spot. I have no idea why he wasn't brought in for England and Italy. We could have played one v. England and the other v. Italy. Bring it on.

I thought he was injured longer. In any case, let's not forget DC played a lot of away games while waiting for their stadium to open. I think Canouse came back just as the new stadium opened, they started playing home games, and Rooney arrived. That's not Canouse's fault. He was great.

Canouse was captain of his u20 team (was unfortunately injured for the finals) and I think Trapp was captain of his. I"m so happy to have both.

Patrick167 repped this.
  24. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree strongly with what bsky22 says, but there is nothing in his post which is remotely anti-semitic. Yes, Philly-Jawn spoke similarly about Jurgen's time. Yes, Philly-Jawn spoke [fiercely so] anti-semitically. But Bsky22 is no more responsible for Philly-Jawns politics [which have nothing to do with whether Jurgen was successful or not] than the Sierra Club is responsible for Hitler's agreeing with them that Green is Good when it comes to Nature. It is a logical fallacy.
    But forget about logic alone, here, WrmBrnr. The question is why are you trying to avoid a direct debate and instead resorting to the meanest of ad hominem attacks?

Let's just say Jurgen's tenure was polarizing enough without injecting into it, out of "fun" or caprice or malice, political poisons which have nothing to do with the sport. In short, let's try to be better than that.

25. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    NYRB vs Columbus: In terms of indicating a player's defensive positioning, I find the defensive incidents diagram to be more reflective than the passing diagram. The defensive incidents charts of Davis and Adams were about the same level in that match.

Colombia vs USA: We were actually up 2-1 before the subs. Thought the performance was good until then.

Patrick167 repped this.