Post-match: USA vs. Czech Republic Post-Game Thread[R]

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by appoo, May 25, 2010.

1. American Arsenal

Jun 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The world is ending!!

this thread is comedy.

Watch. We beat Turkey 2-0, and everyone will talking about we're going to make the semifinals.

2. JAVez1983

JAVez1983 Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Tampa
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've also watched him A LOT. Makes mistakes. Hardly ever gets burned. Crosses well from the inside. Has played against the English wingers. Has played against some big names in the EPL at LB and lived to tell about it.
    Still head and shoulders above Bornstein and Pearce at this point, and a forehead above Boca due to the speed. I prefer Boca in the middle.

3. jreadusaf

jreadusaf Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Tübingen, Germany
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm not disagreeing with you. I've always felt Hahnemann should be the backup. What I am pointing out is Guzan didn't play poorly, or well for that matter. The bashing is unjust, any keeper in the world placed in his position today would've had the same goals scored on him.

4. KinddBudd

KinddBudd New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Ever? Yes, in the next decade, no.

5. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm glad Bob didn't make a change in goal. Use those 6 subs for field players. He knows what Marcus can do.

6. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The third keeper position is pretty much irrelevant.

7. Indiscretion

Indiscretion Member

Aug 6, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Turkey dominated the Czecs and the final score of 2-1 is very forgiving

8. Tea Men Tom

Tea Men Tom Member

Feb 14, 2001
    I think if BB feels Gooch can make it back to 80% of what he was he'll go because 80% of Gooch is better than most of the other options.

9. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    GK:
    1. Timmy
    2. Marcus
    3. Guzano

CB:
    4. Goodson
    5. Spector
    6. DeMerit
    7. Gooch

RB:
    8. Dolo

LB:
    9. Boca
    10. Bornstein

DM:
    11. Clark
    12. Edu

CM:
    13. Bradley
    14. Torres
    15. Benny

RM:
    16. Dempsey
    17. Holden

LM:
    18. Donovan
    19. Beasley

SS:
    20. Ching

ST:
    21. Gomez
    22. Buddle
    23. Jozy

Cut:

Pearce, Marshall, Sacha, Robbie, Bedoya, Findley, EJ

Winning Eleven:

-------------Howard-------------
    Dolo---Spector---DeMerit---Boca
    --------Clark-----Bradley---------
    Dempsey----------------Donovan
    -------Ching-----Jozy------------

Subs: Hahnemann, Goodson, Edu, Holden, Torres, Beasley, Gomez.

2 people repped this.
  10. RIVELINO_619

RIVELINO_619 New Member

Mar 11, 2008
    San Diego/Tijuana
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Very little can be salvaged I feel from this game, apart from the comfort in knowing that half or more of the starting 11 who are unquestionable; were sitting in the stands.

This game was clearly to complete a 23 man roster, because there simply has to be 23 players. That said, I think there are more questions than answers.

1. Goodson- he brings good areal presence, but what is more valuable? what he can help on set pieces? or what he can hinder at the back? After today, he is my candidate to be cut.

2. Ching- Looked out of shape, was very nonexistent during the game, realy didn't feel his presence on the pitch, besides his heel pass and flick pass, its just not enough. He is my other candidate.

3. Edu- he was completly lost in the mid, towards the end of the game was droped back to center back, and was horrifically exposed on the fourth goal. Another candidate of mine

4.Beasley- I dont think he will ever get back to being that crafty speedy winger he was at chicago, today he had a chance to break into the setup, I dont think he made good on that chance. Candidate.

5.Onyewu- After coming off a seriouse injury, it showed today, it would be risky to take him after this performance. No hopps, No speed, and very little presence... but with his supporting cast not doing so wel either, its a coin flip.

6. Pearce- at left fullback or center-back, its like playing russian rulet, he was exposed all game on that left side. It was not pretty, he gave himself up way too early on the third goal. His promise as a center-back might see him through, its a coin flip.

7.Cherundulo- Good at joining the attack, exposed defensively today as well. Wasent as bad as his supporting cast, he will go.

8. Buddle- I'd take Gomez over him, Gomez brings more to the table. Coin Flip

Gomez is a man on fire, whatever he touches is golden, and today was no diffrent, after watching most of goals in puebla, he is a natural goal poacher, he can sniff a goal out before it happens, and most of his goals at puebla were like that. Gomez is in!
    Torres is also in, he had no one to play with in the first half but showed great vision, good passing, and distributed play very well and was the highlight of that mediocre first half. He also has to be in.
    Holden also is in, good attitude, tried to get at the defenders 1v1, i like his spice, hes also in.
    Robbie Rogers is also in for now, he has promise, and would like to see more of him.

From players 11 down, it's a coin flip, we can sit and argue and we'd all be right and wrong, but I do feel there are some players that have shot themselves in the foot, and others who have given themselves a lifeline.

11. JAVez1983

JAVez1983 Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Tampa
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this...I think I could have stepped on the field against the Czechs that day :eek:...

12. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It should be, but you never know. If you must fill a third slot with a keeper, then bring in a solid veteran, who plays regularly, whose competence you can rely on. A youngish back-up, promising but with an erratic history, ain't it.

13. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched him a LOT too, and thought he was pi** poor on the left for WH and I actually think Boca's positioning on the left is better than Jon's. With that being said, we might have to throw Jon in there, especially if Boca has to play in the middle because of injuries.

However, my earlier comment was really directed to whoever was complaining about Bob not finding a suitable LB this cycle. I'm still not sure what Bob could have done differently. There just aren't any good options out there. No, he hasn't played Jon there yet, but Jon's been busy on the right (remember the Confed Cup???) and I presume Bob has seen Jon play on the left for WH so knows what he can do there.

14. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not as a starter, though, not if tonight is what "80% of Gooch" indicates.

15. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, who would you suggest???

16. flux82

flux82 Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Mississippi
    Might as well not even go to South Africa.

I know people do not want to use injuries as an excuse, but any team would have major question marks when its three best defenders are coming off injuries mere weeks before the World Cup and a starting striker that has scored big goals in big games is not even able to go.

But I am not willing to give up and do the whole "Sky is falling" thing. We had some really good stretches of offensive play and possession, and Donovan, Dempsey, Bradley, and Altidore were all chilling in the luxury box. Also, Spector had good games at LB this year in England, so I think he can play there; everyone is focusing on the bad moments he had at the end of a long, grueling Premiership season.

17. IU34

IU34 Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    People now excited Spector to play either LB or CB(!)? Eick. You may be right but he was giving up a goal a game for the Hammers at the end of the year.

Rogers probably won't go since we have so many options on the wings but he'll be hard done by if he's not on the plane.

Still think Gooch has to start, even if he's at 80%.

Back four should be...
    Dolo - Demerit - Gooch - Boca...with Spector looming.

18. Donofan_10

Donofan_10 Red Card

Aug 20, 2009
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    kasey keller. anyways, I'm not sure bob sees Guzan as third choice, that's the problem

19. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Typically, the third keeper slot is filled by a youngish guy with a lot of potential and not a whole lot of history.

20. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The two bolded statements contradict each other.

1 person likes this.
  21. Cuban Armada

Cuban Armada Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree wholeheartedly with this entire post. That SHOULD be the roster announced tomorrow.

22. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm not worried. Bob's just setting up his patented "rise from the ashes" strategy.

23. Tejas

Tejas Member+

Jun 3, 2000
    Tejas
    Speaking optimistically if we just score an average of six goals a game we won't have to worry about our defense as much.

1 person likes this.
  24. Donofan_10

Donofan_10 Red Card

Aug 20, 2009
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we have a better chance of keeping cleensheets than getting 6 goals. I mean, how many set pieces do you think we can execute in one game?

25. ctoa23

ctoa23 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 25, 2007
    E&G Forum
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Am I the only one here that actually didn't think that was so terrible? I was expecting much worse from a US team lacking Boca, LD, Dempsey, and Bradley....

We'll be fine.

1 person likes this.