Post-match: USA vs. Czech Republic Post-Game Thread[R]

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by appoo, May 25, 2010.

1. Cool Hand Luke

Cool Hand Luke Member+

Aug 13, 2008
    Austin Texas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh, okay, I can do this:

Onyewu is Murdock
    Bocanegra is Faceman
    Spector is Hannibal
    and Bornstein is Baracus

right?

2. socerguy02

socerguy02 New Member

Feb 27, 2009
    America
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut Member

Mar 25, 2007
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could see Bornstein being afraid of flying!

4. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    My respects.

5. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    What were exactly his goals?

To see for the 1000th time that Bornstein sucks?

And Klinsmann is a total politician.

He's not going to put Gulati on the spot because they may have some business to do in the near future.

Finally, here's my take on A vs. B team. This is general and has nothing to do with the US team from this match for this portion.

If there's a great disparity in talent between the missing and the present players, then I can see this excuse being given.

If Brazil plays without Kaka, this gap is obvious.

If Argentina replaces Messi with Tevez, then it's less obvious.

Now to the US - the gap between the US A-team and the Czech game B-team was mostly in goal.

If Bob stars Findley, I'd even take this B-team's Hercules Gomez as a better player.

And I'd take Edu over Mikey and 'Dolo over Spector.

Beasley (vs. Donovan) also played well, as did Holden (vs. Dempsey).

So, once you begin adding stuff up, the chasm in talent was not that large.

6. Ghosting

Ghosting Member+

Aug 20, 2004
    Pendleton, OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What on earth are you trying to say here? Are you trying to say that the Czech team was essentially equal to our team (except for goalie) and that therefore we should be horribly disappointed by this result?

I can't tell you for sure what the coaching staff was looking for, but I can guess some things:
    • How does Pearce compare to Bornstein in current form?
    • How does Buddle, EJ, Herc, and Ching look in current form?
    • How fit are players coming off injury (Gooch, Holden, Ching... etc)?
    • How does Edu look as a center back?
    • How does Beasley's current form look?
    • How rusty is Guzan?
    I could probably produce a list of 20 different things. You may not agree that these are useful questions to ask and experiment with, which is fine. however, if you really are not capable of understanding what Bradley's goals for this match are, you are an idiot.

BTW... I've seen enough of your posts here to know you're not an idiot, therefore, I assume you are resorting to hyperbole for some other reason.

7. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    IMO, when USA plays without Donovan there is a gap even more obvious than when Brazil plays without Kakà.

8. Spry

Spry Member

Apr 25, 2006
    Pasadena
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I watched the game again last night. Edu didn't have much to do really as a center back but I think his movement on the ball looked pretty good and better than Onyewu's. Both were responsible for a goal so who are you going to shoot? Personally in a pinch, I'd rather have a healthy Edu on the backline. But in all honesty, we've got the cover we need with DeMerrit, Goodson, Boca, and Spector. There's four center backs right there when only two will play. I even think Bornstein would be better at center back than he is on the left. But that's not saying much. Bornstein actually did not play as bad as everyone made it out to be. But he did get torched once, and seems to consistently foul in dangerous places.

9. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Yes, the Czech team was without Jarolim, Barros, Ujfalusi (who may have quit the team anyway), Rosicky, Grygera, Sverkos, Kadlec and Necid only came in late.

So, yes, it was more of a B-team for them than for the US.

I can't tell you for sure what the coaching staff was looking for, but I can guess some things:

They both suck,

It would be an interesting point, had Bob not cut Ching, who was the best or second best US player.

That you know from having players in practice.

OK, I'll buy this one ... but only for 50%, because Bob admitted thta wanted to make the other subs as a priority.

Practice.

Not rusty, just limited.

That's your best argument so far.

Now you're refuting yourself.

No. My point was that most of the things that were tried out were not the priority of a top organizer.

And yes, allowing 4 goals to a middling Czech side was not a good sign.

10. Ghosting

Ghosting Member+

Aug 20, 2004
    Pendleton, OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So really all your saying is that you don't agree with the goals that Bob Bradley set for this match, and you think we should have played better, and that was the point of the hyperbole.

I'm down with that :)

11. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    If this is true, we need to put him on a boat to South Africa. Departing June 12. With one oar.

12. Cujo1126

Cujo1126 New Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't say that.

The US played without Bradley, Demspey, Donovan, Clark, Feilhaber, Bocanegra, Demerit, Howard, and Spector.

That's 9. So the Czechs played without 7 of their top guys. The US played without 9 of our top guys.

13. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmmm... not bad