USA vs Costa Rica (R)

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by buff415, Sep 1, 2003.

1. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Okay

The good:
    Boxx. It looks like the standing order of the day was to kick the ball to Shannon. No better way to get her into the flow of things. She handled it all very well. Hopefully she'll get another 90 against Mexico.

The bad:
    Our finishing. Four years ago we would've crushed this glorified high school team 10-0. MacMillan. I cringed watching her limp. I'm sorry but 20 minutes this week and a half hour next week doesn't get her on my World Cup team. Also, the crowd. It sure looked empty. If only 12k will show up for USofA, what happens to the Final if we're not there? I know that LA fans are discriminating and know that USA/CRC in womens soccer is a walkover, but still...

I hope they have some scrimmages against local mens college teams arranged before the cup. That'd be much better World Cup tests than last night's laugher and a the upcoming game against a team (Mexico) that just got hammered 8-0 by a Canadian team that used Charmaine Hooper in defense for a half.

2. MichaelR

MichaelR New Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Philadelphia
    I know its hard for the manager to get any insight when playing against a woeful side like CRC's women.

But April, surely you know you can't keep Boxx off the field during the WWC.

Perhaps we should be playing five mids (Foudy, Boxx, Parlow, Wagner and Lilly), with Boxx and Foudy playing holding/defensive/counterattacking roles and the latter three more in attacking mode.

Defensively, Fawcett can be the anchor between, say, Slaton and Reddick. D's to get help from Boxx and Foudy if needed.

And up top, there's no better combination right now that Hamm-Wambach.

Other observations about last night's match:

1) Kudos to April for road-testing the younger players in the first half.

2) I liked the way Bivens worked her way into the attack. She will be a great tactical sub when the US needs to juice up the offense.

3) Parlow and Wambach on the field together will create nightmares for defenses. Two great targets for US crosses. Seeing those two should make Lilly's and Hamm's eyes light up.

4) Mac is on the team for leadership. The players clearly look up to her and draw strength from her. Maybe she can give us 20 minutes once or twice in the group phase, but I wouldn't expect much more.

5) Why aren't we playing World Cup sides from outside our group? CRC (and before them, the Republic of Ireland) put on a pathetic display, and clearly were not capable of much more than that. If April wants to do the WNT's real prep behind closed doors against men's teams, that's OK, but the kids could use a real game with a real crowd to simulate WWC conditions.

6) I normally love JP as an announcer, but what gives with last night's broadcast? When CRC put in that Torrance high school girl, Vanessa Rojas, we got the "heartwarming" story, but a minute or two later, when she made a ridiculously bad attempt to clear that Hamm bundled into the back of the net, her name was not to be heard. Treat the sport (and your viewers, who can see) with some respect and don't turn the event into some feel-good pap, guys. Similarly, Mac's recovery was treated by JP and Wendy as complete, a "medical miracle," to use the quote of the day. The honest thing to say is that it's an open question whether she'll be WWC match-fit by Sept. 21, and last night's game provided no real answer.

7) I agree with others who have commented on the dreadful state of the HDC pitch. Right now, it looks like a second-rate college field, with obvious patching to fill in bare spots. I trust it will be in better shape by the beginning of the WWC.

Sorry to have gone on so long, but North Korea (the women's soccer team) makes me nervous, and a kickabout with a team that can't and won't attack provides little comfort.

3. dcajedi

dcajedi Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Philadelphia
    Yeah, I'll add my voice to the chorus of those saying we should be playing higher-quality opposition for our warmup games. Not only for the intensity but I'd have to think you could get bigger audiences with higher-profile teams!

4. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    the thing about hight quality opposition is this... I don't really think the Germany, China and the other A tier teams of the world want to come play team USA this close to the cup. I mean would you want to show your hand? Nope I'd keep em guessing. Maybe this was the best US Soccer could do.

But I agree on one thing. We should at least be playing B tier. Like Canada or something. At least we got in a game against Brazil. They're about the only A team that would want to play us. given that they play so few games anyway.

5. dcajedi

dcajedi Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Philadelphia
    Fair point. So what about maybe France?

Actually, what about Ghana, since they're training in Portland right now? That would have been a better game.

6. CAFAN

CAFAN Member

May 30, 2003
    April definitely doesn't want to play Canada right now. Much too risky at this late stage. Worse case scenerio would be a loss and injury to key player(s). Brazil, Japan or Australia would be much better choices.

7. Jo

Jo New Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Kansas
    Yeah, North Korea makes me nervous, too. (Actually they all make me nervous. I'll be a wreck by the time this WWC is over.)

But in the '99 WWC, North Korea played in a bunker. The score was 0-0 at halftime. Then Foudy went in at halftime and the US started getting wide better (according to the announcers) and she caught Mac with a pass and Mac scored a nice goal. Then Tish scored her two goals and we got the famous back flip.

I don't know if North Korea will still be playing bunker style. Who knows? I guess the coaching staff will be able to get some tapes of their matches. They played very rough.

8. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. I can see why some teams might not want to travel over here earlier than the Cup or fly twice but if Ghana is already here, play 'em.

I have a feeling that no one will be describing Canada as a B-tier team after this world cup.

9. BrandiC63

BrandiC63 New Member

Apr 8, 2000
    Piscataway, NJ
    I didnt get to watch the game so maybe I missed something.

But what happened to Tiffeny Milbrett?

10. UP90

UP90 New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Georgia
    Millie was said to be on "personal leave". My guess is that she is in Portland, with the family of Clive Charles. He was like a father to her.

11. sspeed

sspeed New Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Tempe
    \

Why in the world word you ask Wagner or anyone else to force a pass just to make it "quick" if there is no movement on the part of the defense to challenge? Soccer is a dynamic sport and good players adapt the the style and pace of a game. Wagner has typically had no problem adapting to the pace of the Full Nats. (Witness the Gold Cup etc). As far as through balls/diagonals, that was how Abby got the second goal of the game.

12. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    Yeah maybe. I was going on history and FIFA rankings on that one ;)

13. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did say after this world cup, not before. :D

14. soccermonkey19

soccermonkey19 New Member

Nov 17, 2000
    Mississippi
    Re: Comments of the game

:mad: I HATE the Nigerians.

Thank you. That is all.

15. soccersarah

soccersarah Member

Oct 23, 2002
    From Cyber Soccer News:

"On the other hand, Tiffeny Milbrett had been given time off to attend Clive Charles’ funeral in Portland and will rejoin the team in San Jose. Her absence meant that all the US players, except Briana Scurry, could see action in the game."

http://www.cybersoccernews.com/uswomen/030902us-cr.shtml

16. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Re: Re: Comments of the game

It's just soccer. After 1999 I was really hoping that the Nigerians would get some real coaching and training. If they could go fulltime, they'd be in the upper echelon of teams. But then you can probably say that about the Nigerian men's team. They scare everybody, but at the end of the day the disorganization of the Nigerian FA holds back the developement and cohesiveness of their national team programs. What a shame.

17. scrub

scrub Member

Oct 12, 2000
    I know it's kind of simplistic to judge a team by how many goals they score, but I feel the US should have been able to score many more goals. They fully dominated Costa Rica, keeping the ball in the CR end the whole game. However, that domination did not translate into goals as well as I thought it should. The score should have been 6-0 at the half. The US seemed pretty ready, but I think they need to be more ready to play the far better teams they will face in the WWC.

On another topic, maybe they schedule these pushover games just to develop confidence in the players.

As for the announcers, I agree with the poster how said the announcing was "feel good". Jeez -- call a bad pass a bad pass once in a while.

Not to be totally negative, I'm getting excited for some awesome games!

18. Jo

Jo New Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Kansas