USA vs Costa Rica POST Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Knave, Nov 15, 2016.

1. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Don't they have to pay him regardless? I thought it was a sunk cost regardless.

Winoman repped this.
  2. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read that he has a buy out clause. But it is suppose to be huge (probably just a little less than he would have made if he stayed).

Since Sunil wore out his kneepads on this deal, JK likely signed a contract that gave him a ton of protection. It is this protection that has made it difficult to fire him since they significantly over paid him to begin with.

This could be tricky time for the Fed. The women are going to fight like hell in their CBA, and Arena won't come for free. In reading the yearly US Soccer financial report, they are far from flush with cash.

This JK deal is biting them left and right. Now they need to bean count firing him vs missing the world cup.

jnielsen repped this.
  3. bostonsoccermdl

Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I don't know the financial repercussions of missing a World Cup, but I assume they would be much higher than keeping jk around.

4. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely but financially speaking, keeping JK and missing the world cup is not the worst case scenario they have bean count.

The worst case financial scenario is buy out JK, pay Arena and miss out on WC.

cwilke1, Marko72 and roadkit repped this.
  5. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've always thought the problem was with him, for that reason. JK is his baby.

The only way he is out of the picture is if enough people convince him that it would be better for him if he left. Because people are only going to take so much, and if he thinks he can continue to run US Soccer into the ground, he's got another thing coming.

adam tash repped this.
  6. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd love to see some great anti-Gulati TIFO at the next Nats match -- and the supporter's groups yelling "******** You Sunil!" everytime they see him.

adam tash repped this.
  7. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, after all, he went out and bought himself a new larger home in Newport Beach. A person wouldn't do that with no guaranteed income.

8. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've said it before in some other thread, but the only way to get the point across is a massive boycott of some game, or a giant walk out at a certain point a la Liverpool last season. I'd rather do the former, and have the TV cameras looking at a stadium with only one section (the away fans) with people in it. I know that would be difficult but it sure would be a powerful show of solidarity from the fans. I don't agree with those who would say that we can't do this because it would show a lack of respect for the players and the crest. It would be done "in honor of the players and the crest" because we all just can't sit idly by while our team is ruined and our players are belittled in the worldwide press for poor performances.

9. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ive honestly had the thought that JK has taken a lot directly from Arena....they have a lot of similarities.

10. bostonsoccermdl

Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Maybe I am missing something but I don't really see many. Can you elaborate?

11. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    over-reliance on veterans....
    ...."inner circle" paradigm
    ....playing midfielders as outside backs...
    ....preference for 442 with defensive center mids...

both are arrogant motivator types who can be surly to the press.....

bruce isnt as bad as JK in this regard....and bruce is also a lot better with motivating and tactics.....

but i dont see how the similarities arent obvious.

12. Mglnbea

Mglnbea Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Northern California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But. . .but. . .but. . .the friendlies' victories, and. . .and. . .and the (non competitive) wins vs. Italy in Italy, Holland in Holland and Germany in, well, Poland--close enough, and. . .and. . . and the 'all-time' winning percentage, and. . .and. . .and the Camp Cupcake triumphs, and. . .and. . .and. . .the six sub rule, and. . .and. . . and. . .and. . .and. . .and. . .

13. John McGuirk

John McGuirk Member+

Jun 12, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think Gulati is seriously considering those results. Gulati probably weighs all the negatives against 3 things:

1) Got to the WC round of 16
    2) Got to the Copa Semi-Final
    3) Won a Gold Cup

I'm honestly not sure if he judges that Gold Cup heavily either. There were some pretty weak teams at that tournament.

14. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    And when you judge the path, the Copa semi-final at home wasn't nearly the achievement that it sounds. We didn't beat anybody particularly good. We barely hung on to beat Ecuador and Peru at home, as well as Costa Rica. The only game that could be scored as better than a "par" would be the Costa Rica game which we won in convincing fashion, and that was aided in great part by their cavalierly aggressive approach that got them burned.

John McGuirk repped this.
  15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Against Peru, Paraguay & Ecuador we also had clear home advantage.

We beat all three by a goal and defending a lot, with less possession.

Personally, I think we'd lose in Lima or Asuncion, and would likely get destroyed in Quito.

dna77054 repped this.
  16. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    The last time a coach got fired it was preceded by an epically disastrous performance by a defender - Johnny B's 2.41 rated effort in the 2011 Gold Cup final.

Last Week's ratings:

Pulisic - 5.7
    Wood - 5.3
    Johnson - 4.8
    Guzan - 4.7
    Altidore - 4.7
    Gooch - 4.7
    Bradley - 3.9
    Besler - 3.8
    Jones - 3.6
    Chandler - 3.4
    Kljestan - 3.0
    Brooks - 2.1
    Zusi - NR

And yet another Johnny B. turns in the worst rated performance since I've been tracking this (2010 WC). So...

THANK YOU, John Anthony Brooks, THANK YOU!

Berks, Geneva and Mr Martin repped this.
  17. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    JAB: "Klinsmann called me out, now he shall pay!"

Nah, wasn't on purpose. The kid just seemed rattled. Bet JK launched into one of those you-haven't-done-sh*t spiels.

Bet Gulati would have kept JK if he had not lashed out, too. The Germans like that sort of direct talk, "if you're not 100% into this then we're wasting our time here; if you don't have the spine, then let's end this, no more of this idiotic half-baked plan... you know perfectly well those people have no idea, no vision, can't understand what I'm trying to do here... yes, we may miss one stupid world cup and lose 4-0 again, that's why I said it, because if you don't risk you don't accomplish sh*t...."

And that's just not the way we do things in North America. Here, you promise you'll fix the situation instead of giving lip to your boss when he's mad and already with a finger on the red button.