USA vs Costa Rica: Oly Qual. 1/27

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by kool-aide, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I would! I can only imagine...

2. exref

exref Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there another thread for the next semi? So far, seems adrenaline is racing and it's end to end. I predict extra time 10 mins. in.

3. exref

exref Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sinclair, 1-0

4. wokeupfuzzy

wokeupfuzzy Member

Apr 24, 2010
    Head over to the "Women's International" section, people seem to be active over there.

5. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    She's not captain. She was Captian, then co-captian and now she is neither.

Rampone and Abby have been assigned to be the captians following the WC.

6. philafan

philafan Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My understanding is that there are three captains— Rampone, Boxx and Buehler. They are the ones who deal with a lot of off field stuff— contract negotiations etc... The idea is that when Rampone and Boxx exit the scene after the Olympics, they can transition leadership to a younger player. But the fact that her teammates would choose someone in her mid 20s to serve as a captain over several more experienced players speaks volumes about what her teammates think of her.

7. exref

exref Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    certainly is interesting to see the difference in the commentating now. poor canuks are far from neutral. concacaf's gotta work with what they've got, i guess.

8. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Where did you hear this? Abby stated in an ESPN article this week that Pia asked her (and Rampone) to be captains after the WC.

Being involved in the contracts is one thing, but coach appointed captain is another..

10. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    you shouldn't have post that. now, i look like a bigger troll to some of the users. :)

11. philafan

philafan Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was stated during WWC. Read it in an article about the team's lawyer last summer. Off field stuff like contracts is part of the duties of a captain. My understanding is that Rachel was one of the three captains. But again, the fact that she has clearly served in that role during her career at a young age shows that her coaches and teammates think she possesses leadership. That's my larger point. Do you not think she possesses leadership abilities?

12. CCSoccerFan

CCSoccerFan Member

May 2, 2009
    Ah, Pacific. CC = Central Coast...

13. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    I'm sure she's a good, nice, bright young woman though.
    but as a fan i've never noticed her leadership on the field.

Rampone, Abby, Boxx and Hope I have noticed... but i have no idea what practices are like. Buehler doesn't seem outspoken though.

14. exref

exref Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has Canada ever beaten us?

15. soccerreigns

soccerreigns New Member

Jul 22, 2009
    and Lord knows Pia has given her way more time on this team than alot of other players..she does nothng to help this tem. CUT!

16. cloak

cloak Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    canada is 4-5-44 against the USA all time

17. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    For the first 15 years (1985-2000), the U.S. dominated Canada; most scorelines were not close. Then Even Pellerud took over the Canadian team and integrated a number of quality young players, most notably Christine Sinclair. For about three years the two countries split their meetings evenly. Since 2004 or so, the U.S. has had the definite edge, but all meetings have been fairly close. Canada hasn't beaten the U.S. for a good while, but they have tied several times in recent years.

18. exref

exref Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for that info. I think the Final will be extremely . . . . hmmmmm. Canada will definitely be out to win, and at home they have that advantage. What kind of team does Pia play? Go for the all-out win, or play a team for the future?

19. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I'm on the Central Coast, more or less, just on the Atlantic version. ;)

20. exref

exref Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Noyola comes out at the half.

21. philafan

philafan Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She's clearly bright. I think she's studying to be a doctor after her playing days. My sense is that she's deferential to Rampone in terms of organizing the back. But when Christie was on maternity leave, that was Rachel's job. And there are a lot of off the field responsibilities for team leaders— fostering team unity, serving as a buffer/advocate with coaches and US Soccer officials, dealing with the business side of things. I can't say I have intimate knowledge of how much of that responsibility Rachel has taken on, save for the business side. But I do think she has the respect of her teammates. Hopefully, she plays well enough to win you over in the coming months.

22. exref

exref Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't Telemundo televising some of this tournament? I don't see any mention of the next semi-final. If anyone knows which Latin channel has it, plz post. Thx.[/QUOTE]

Ha, silly me, a little ahead of times, it seems. Maybe those macho aholes will televise it next decade. Why would they, when our "enlightened" US channels won't? Don't these beanheads realize that women have a hand in the budget in the household? vent, vent, vent
    Participation in sports only makes females stronger. Aha! Conspiracy!

Mexico scores, 2-1.

23. Namdynamo

Namdynamo Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    Then put her in the front office.

The soccer game is play on the soccer field, not in the front office. Sauerbrunn is 10x the soccer player that Beuhler is. I guarantee you that any coach in the world outside of Pia would starts her over Beuhler. The only reason Pia starts Buehler is because Beuhler started her national team career 4 years before Sauerbrunn.

24. LANDONBUDDLE

LANDONBUDDLE Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    how did tobin heath and kelly o'hara play today?

25. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Heath scored on a set piece header.

As far as Playing their positions, let's just say neither locked down a spot in the lineup.