PBP: USA vs Costa Rica Match Thread: 2/1/2020

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Sebsasour, Feb 1, 2020.

1. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The guy who led the team to a goals per game average under 1? Yeah, real great job.

2. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Gotta consider the comp.

3. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I did.

So did every club in America.

That's why he's managing in USL.

4. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    His pro career has nothing to do with the fact that he faced more difficult competition with the National Team than had JK and Arena.

5. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    what are you talking about

every time we call in a U20 they show well

dest is the only one who has glitched but he wouldn't even have been on my list

6. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    there was no VAR to review whether a shot that looked like it bounced slightly in then back out totally crossed the line, nor did ESPN dwell on it

7. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    it's january camp. it's like watching HS tryouts when the varsity players already making the team are held out. the idea is to identify which peripheral players could help them. berhalter wants to make it into system orientation and the casual fan wants them to win and show people up. but under normal operation the idea is about 3-5 people who stood out in this game carry over to march. if you can't handle this you won't handle holland in march, honduras in june, or mexico in the fall.

8. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I thought Lletget was a problem in this game. He was probably the highest paid player on the field for either team, and was one of our most experienced players. (Arriola is the same problem he always is). Many people liked his performance. I think that is because he did some things on the ball that were good. But he should do that against CR "B".

He fell asleep on the goal kick the first time CR pressed and we were lucky to not concede a goal (Johnson should not have played it as Lletget was obviously not correctly in position). Lletget forgets to play the corner kick (along with Cannon) that gives a free header that comes off the crossbar. Lletget's dead ball delivery all game was atrocious.

The midfield is getting crowded. Lletget has been getting minutes because Holmes is being ignored. If Adams is going to play the #8, and we are leaving Yueill at the #6, and McKennie and Holmes are out there, Lletget is going to be off the roster.

He does this in all his games. In the Mexico friendly, he has the pass for the Morris PK foul, but his first touch in that game was a complete brain fart back pass for the Mexico second goal.

9. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    i thought last cycle we didn't net many new impact players, just pulisic, as the old team hollowed out. klinsi, who had filled a hole with germans first cycle, didn't have a new answer the next time. arena was hurt by losing saief and lletget but didn't take risks and in fact left the germans out.

i think there is some truth to development. and i think mckennie would have been risky at 17. but i also think there is an interesting set of holmes type players now about 24 who suddenly got attention under sarachan or GB. how were they not considered at 20? i think development definitely failed but also due to some combination of failed scouting or risk aversion, we weren't finding many random euro players to fill in. horvath would get capped and disappear. holmes is 25.

i know the scouting is more like a blizzard now but i think we were a little smug we'd make it and a little unexperimental. we've lost the attitude where pulisic can be called for a quali game or green the world cup. risk averse and not developing players, plus ageing, is a bad combo. and i see GB as cut from the same cloth as Arena. you're going to get a career going before he cares. he is being saved by the fact the youth bubble is so populated that holding out x, y, and z for "form" or "career progression," you will still let a, b, and c prospects in who manage to meet your arbitrary criteria. and by 2026 cycle he won't be able to hold this back.

10. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    I thought the midfield was anonymous. Yueill had a nice long ball or 2 but a home run ball or 2 does not a good game make. And Lletget and Aaronson largely disappeared. The danger balls generally went up the wing and mostly the right wing.

As before, the danger continues to come from up top. They basically set each other up.

11. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Robles suffers from the fact that at that time we took gaffes more seriously. But it's odd considering Johnson and Hamid and how their U23 run ended. Not like they didn't just hand someone a result themselves.

Personally I think skip the bunch and try Gonzalez, Frei, and some of the kids.

But we have this pecking order attitude now that worked better when it was a good team and the starter had to be great to beat out his competition, and so some good player was sitting in the 2 hole just waiting. Now it's like a royal succession.

sXeWesley repped this.
  12. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    if the idea is to find "peripheral players" it's time to stop starting Zardes and Arriola in the attack. Greg seems a lot like Jurgen in that he makes friendly lineups based on what he WISHED guys could do instead of what they really can and it just wastes time and then the real games start and you still haven't settled on a starting 11 with your 3-4 key backups.

Some firm handshakes and a "thanks for your time with the team but we're moving on" are in order for a few, including Zardes and Arriola imo.

SteelyTom and bigredfutbol repped this.
  13. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    my 2 cents we should have been experimenting all the way up to LoN at which point from then forward you are working on gel and system. in part because i want to know what my talent is i am working with before i settle on the team and the system. we seem to settle on team and system early and then figure out holes close to or during games that count, at which point we get in a bind between experimenting with risk or doubling down. if you spend the first 2 years doing nothing but sorting out who can play, and finding 2-3 guys per position, system takes care of itself. you have a bunch of ballers who will work when deployed in some fashion.

to me the idea is to be peaking in the coming fall, not try and already pick the team last january or march.

14. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    We've seen five total strikers now in Gregg's system. Three are asked to come inside, be an extra midfielder to break the 4-4 block. Three can do it, Sargent, Jozy, Jesus. One has received the most minutes and cannot do it. We tried most of the year to play like we did Saturday with Zardes, and he can't do any of the things even Jesus can do.

On the PK draw, Arriola zings the ball at Jesus. It is an excellent first touch that kills the ball dead that allows Jesus to keep the play alive to Lletget. That ball would be in the 16th row off of Zardes.

What Zardes is decent at is how the 9 played in Orlando against Canada. Press, be in between the CBs to finish. That is not how the team plays when he is not in there. Gregg is changing the position to shoe horn Zardes in everytime he is out there, since the September embarrassment. That the idea was to play through a 8 man Mexican press with Zardes on the field is now looking seriously dumb.

BTW, Ramirez didn't play much at all but looked even better than Zardes at the role Zardes is good at.

madvillain repped this.
  15. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #215 juvechelsea, Feb 3, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
    Ramirez, to me, is underrated. He had a goal every 2 games for Houston in MLS (and a goal every 4 games for LAFC as well), and has a goal in 2 caps for the US. To me it said something Zardes and the US struggled in a camp game and Ramirez comes on for a few minutes and wins it.

If you want a striker who can run then the Chile goal showed Pulisic can score on the break. I think Morris has the same speed.

If you want a striker who can finish ball at feet then I think Sargent, Pulisic, Morris, and Ramirez can do that. If you reclaim Wood then I think he can do this as well.

Zardes to me only comes in if we start talking about forwards like we want Wondo back, and with the same downside. He scores in league (but not much for us). He chases. When I need a goal I don't care if he chases. When he knocks a sitter wide his chasing may cost me the Belgium game.

It's like we unlearned the value of Dempsey the last 2/3 of his career, which was you get that ball to feet and he will stick it in a corner. He would disappear at times, and was not some pure speed threat or chasing god. But I want a forward to finish. That Mexico Gold Cup final we lost? That's what happens when you have plenty of chances and no finisher. They had their finisher.

I want speed wide. I want a finisher inside.

16. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Does anybody have an all-touches from Ferreira? I started watching around the 30 min mark and didn't see much from him but I understand that he played well early on and would like to see more of him. We desperately need strikers