Post-match: USA VS Costa Rica 10/13/21

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by EXALIFTIN, Oct 13, 2021.

1. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the reason he needs to stay away from the Prem. If he is already a Prem style player, learning a different style to add to his repertoire would be better for his development and for us.

Winoman repped this.
  2. The Clientele

The Clientele Member+

Portland Timbers
    Jun 25, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point! I think I might be able to find a way to make that work. My wife is a classical Pilates instructor and she works Saturday mornings.

This could work.

Magikfute, Namdynamo and Marius Tresor repped this.
  3. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have got to be kidding me. Zardes accidentally heading the ball into his own goal off a header from an opponent is somehow Turner's fault? o_O

4. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Busio showed something in this regard, as well. He's a positive player and wants to put guys in on goal. If he keeps his form up in Italy, then we have a legitimate option we should see more of instead of some others who don't do much in progressing the ball. I just hope Gregg is willing...

5. Marius Tresor

Marius Tresor Member+

Aug 1, 2014
    And now a straight red for N. Araujo for Mexico. He will miss the USA game.

gogorath, Winoman, TrueCrew and 2 others repped this.
  6. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    exactly right. If you are going to play Steffan, maybe justify it by playing him on the road with the B team who can’t pass the ball and just pass it back to the keeper

butters59 repped this.
  7. la torre

la torre Member+

Dec 27, 2008
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup…totally agree. La liga is the right place for him right now.

I wish more of our guys played in Spain. Interested to see how Hoppe develops.

The Clientele repped this.
  8. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know. Maintaining possession is a key aspect of protecting a lead. Busio might be better for protecting a lead than you think.

El Stikero, Magikfute, russ and 13 others repped this.
  9. Marius Tresor

Marius Tresor Member+

Aug 1, 2014
    And Chucky Lozano just went off injured.

TrueCrew repped this.
  10. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup, perfect player to eat their souls on counter attacks

Bajoro repped this.
  11. JUnionFan

JUnionFan Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Sep 30, 2020
    Not coming out for a ball two feet from you in your six is a weak GK play.

TrueCrew, Bajoro and Marius Tresor repped this.
  12. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Point is being a backup at a top club is more than shit.

I thought he looked rusty as well but I wouldn't write him off. He's a talented GK and I hope he finds regular time because I'm a huge fan of his. I'm hoping his club career can resemble Howard's or Friedel's.

The Clientele and Bajoro repped this.
  13. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    A job was done tonight in Columbus

Mike03, gogorath, TrueCrew and 3 others repped this.
  14. Marius Tresor

Marius Tresor Member+

Aug 1, 2014
    The El Salvador-Mexico game is devolving into a card fest. Hopefully, some more Mexico players will be suspended for the USA game.

TurdFerguson repped this.
  15. Tmagic77

Tmagic77 Member+

Feb 10, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    4th tier is probably about right

1) EPL, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga
    2) Portugal, Argentina, Brazil, Belgium, Russia, Netherlands
    3) Scotland, Mexico, Turkey, Croatia, Austria, Championship
    4) MLS...

It's definitely not 7th.

puttputtfc repped this.
  16. The Clientele

The Clientele Member+

Portland Timbers
    Jun 25, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. Busio was vital to keeping the ball.

Bajoro repped this.
  17. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Busio also just generally looks like he’s already improved the little he’s been in Italy. He was great in his limited minutes.

18. Marius Tresor

Marius Tresor Member+

Aug 1, 2014
    Raul Jimenez just got a yellow card against El Salvador. Not sure if he had one already. Hope so. I would rather he miss the game against us.

The Clientele repped this.
  19. Marius Tresor

Marius Tresor Member+

Aug 1, 2014
    Ligue 1?

20. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    Busio came in and in 15 minutes made more dangerous passes than Weston, Musah and Tyler did all game. I think in games we are going to dominate possession he should be in there, no doubt. The odd man out might be Weston. I like Weston but on this form he's not a must start player.

Steffen isn't game sharp and it shows. I always want our starting goalkeeper to be getting regular burn I don't really care that he plays for City. The backup at City didn't do us any favors tonight he's just not a great shot stopper, maybe it's rust, maybe he's just not that good, but play the goalie that is game ready.

MuchoTakeItEasy repped this.
  21. TurdFerguson

TurdFerguson Member

United States
    Jan 11, 2013
    LOL, I was glad to see Busio. But he wasn’t THAT great. Come on

22. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    I am sorry, what makes you think Scotland belongs in that group with other 3rd tier leagues in your list?

Mr. Bandwagon, rgli13, Magikfute and 2 others repped this.
  23. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about this:

Turner is actually the superior shot stopper, and Steffen is marginally better with his feet.

Additionally, Steffen seems to have one brain fart a game, and Turner rarely has one.

24. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the match, Nordecke, so did not have replay on some stuff. Thoughts & questions.

1) CR goal. Happened right in front of us. Dest beat around the corner, cross to a totally unmarked guy arriving at far post. Cross/shot beats Steffen with another attacker lurking. Those of you who think that was a howler, or he did not try for it, are clueless. That is inbetween for the keeper. If he moves for the shot/cross the goal is gaping if the guy touches it. If he stays home, it could go in. And did. The shambolic part was no one taking the runner.

2) Richards play. Was that a PK?

3) CR had a couple more good chances on self-inflicted stuff from us. Poor decision from Wes, Miles' backpass (which I did not blame Richards for, at all, but have not seen a replay), and another iffy clearance involving a chest down from someone.

4) Other than that, though, I thought we looked pretty good. Dest & Musah would get top marks from me. Weah & Aaronson were active & threatening all night. Even vs a veteran team bunkering with a lead. Adams was also very good. The MF trio showed good energy, were agressive & recovered the ball well all night. Pepi was good linking and aside from a poor touch trying to finish a move he started nicely, he looked fine to me. Cracking goal (and an assist) for Dest. Really good quasi-goal from Weah.

5) Haven't watched replays of some of the iffy moments nor figured out who should have been tracking the runner on their goal. But the defending was shakey at times. Miles & Richards (if that was indeed a PK) would get the lowest marks for me. Steffen & Jedi were fine, but not great.

6) Subs were fine, though could have been earlier. Musah & Aaronson ran themselves into the ground & could have come out a tad earlier. Pepi as well. Busio composed. Zardes created a couple chances after forcing TOs. Yedlin & Zimmerman were fine. Nice to see Hoppe get in. Almost got on the end of one & showed great hustle & composure to keep an attack alive keeping a ball in play.

8) Going forward.

If it was not obvious already, Dest at RB & Jedi & LB are clear #1s. And Musah has joined Adams & Wes as firmly in the first choice XI. Reyna & Pulisic are gimmies. And though not as firm, Turner & Pepi are solidly in the first team at the moment.

But after that..? CB seems really open, both in terms os starters & reserves. The difference between missing the roster & playing the most minutes of any CB is pretty thin (Zimmerman did both). Miles, Brooks, McKenzie, Zimmerman, Richards, Ream + a couple others for 4 spots. Other than Aaronson & Steffen, I think all the other reserve spots are up for grabs.

7) Lineup fine. Richards for McKenzie the only surprise for me. Other than Arriola not starting after being on the initial team sheet.

25. Marius Tresor

Marius Tresor Member+

Aug 1, 2014
    I think Steffen is better, Man City certainly thinks so, but he is rusty for lack of PT. He seemed more comfortable as the game wore on.