USA vs.China Pre/During/post-game, etc. THREAD [R]

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Julius, Aug 23, 2006.

1. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Last time out I asked "Did she ever meet a shot she wouldn't take?" and this time out I asked "Did she ever see a foul she wouldn't commit?"
    But I still thought she was the best player in the match... albeit one with no

I thought it was a very good game for Mitts even though the image we'll all remember is her not quite getting over in time to salvage LePielbet's booboo...

Its the first time I've thought Lil actually looked old; against a really technical team she is no longer quite quick enough or fast enough to really take charge of a game, at least until its goes 11 on 10. Not that she no longer is good enough to play at this level, but that she was not among the more effective players in this type of game while it was 11 on 11. Heck of a nice shot though.

Osborne was yet a bit better; she's not going to be Boxx, and she's not going to make us forget Boxx is missing, but she may wind up a pretty good player...

If that's all the leg Bri has left, she can no longer play at this level; I hope it was lingering effects of the injury. That was really bad.

Loved Chalupny's game; she's really making use of the athleticism now.

And I cannot imagine a player so fragile as to be insulted at being used to get an ovation for Lilly.

2. mingyung

mingyung Member

Jun 7, 1999

3. noorwell

noorwell Member

Sep 15, 2003
    brooklyn,ny
    Wagner draws 2 or 3 opponent when ever she touch the ball. if that is so , you may have been seeing double.

4. DeGregorus

DeGregorus Member

Oct 24, 1999
    Seis Esquinas
  5. defensewins

defensewins Member

Nov 15, 1999
    Just hope we get a lot more games. Obvioulsy the youth need the seasoning, more pressure situations and more tests of stamina and mental will. Whatever happens, I think we will be in a better position than we have been in a long time, provided we continue to play competitive games. Players such as Kai and Lloyd are hungry-Kai knows what she has to do to be a national team caliber starter in terms of fitness. (see rookie Wambach and how her hard work paid off). Kai and Wambach on top would be a nightmare. Lloyd simply needs to be more patient. I am still a fan of Tarpley, but I have some pretty big issues with Wagner's development. Yeah she has improved, yeah she's serviceable, but don't we want more? For all her PT and so called potential, shouldn't she be more than adequate by now? I understand she can be an unbelievable passer, but are those golden moments frequent enough? Her last game vs. China was disappointing. I guess, I am just losing patience and expecting much more by now. Chalupny is definitely a favorite of mine-she's versatile and could can play D or mid. Hope to see a lot more of her, now that she's over the concussion thing. There has to be a spot for that kid.

6. Julius

Julius New Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Philadelphia, PA
    What caused the Red Card and can anyone tell me about Sandra Serafini the ref and the other officials that was in the game Sunday?

7. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pu Wei and Wambach collided, and both went down. While they were both down, Pu lashed out with her foot. Even then, Abby got up first while Pu got medical attention. When Pu got up, the ref ejected her.

Googling on Serafini shows numerous hits. She was also the ref for the July 30 match with Canada.

8. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
    I think what made Pu mad was that Abby crashed into the back of her left knee. I don't know if Pu thought Abby did that intentionally, if she was just upset about the pain, or if it was payback from something earlier in the game, but just the way they went down I could see how Pu might reasonably (though mistakenly) thought that Abby had given a cheap shot to her knee.