USA vs.China Pre/During/post-game, etc. THREAD [R]

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Julius, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Julius

Julius New Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Philadelphia, PA
    The USA women takes on China Sunday August 27th at 1 PM EDT/12 PM CDT live on ESPN2 at Toyota Park in Bridgeview, Ill. The USA roster for this game has been named: http://www.ussoccer.com/articles/viewArticle.jsp_281285.html , this thread is to have pre-game, during, and post game discussions and any related news of this game. In Addition, Play by play of this game is also needed in this thread when the game happens on Sunday. For ticket info on this game: http://www.ussoccer.com/articles/viewArticle.jsp_281196.html

2. Julius

Julius New Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Philadelphia, PA
    Less than 20 minutes away from kickoff. Any pre-game thoughts? and who are the starters for today's game. Please post Play by play when the game starts at 1 PM EDT/ 12 PM CDT on ESPN2 today

3. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
    Julie is talking about China's new coach and the rebuilding process after a disappointing 2004 Olympics performance.

4. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
    Very nice start, both teams attacking directly.

5. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    Scurry in goal? That's a first for this year. When was the last time she was in a game; the Hamm/Foudy retirement match at the HDC vs. Mexico?

6. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
    Finally decent playing weather. :)

7. fuzzy

fuzzy New Member

Aug 27, 2006
    Please do keep the play by plays coming. I'm trapped at work, and for some reason it's not on Matchtracker.

Thanks!

8. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
    I can't type fast enough. :D

21st min- Lilly stumbles through 3 defenders in the box but falls down before getting shot off.

9. cloudedmind

cloudedmind BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 7, 2004
    Silver Spring, MD
    China scores.

10. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
    So far, US has attacked well down the flanks with Rampone, Mitts, Lloyd, Osborne and Reilly, but haven't made any dangerous shots. China tends to counterattack right up the middle-

As the just did to score in 24th Min! Duan sprung into space right up the center and beats Scurry to lower. left corner of goal.

11. fuzzy

fuzzy New Member

Aug 27, 2006
    I'll settle for the starting lineup :)

So far we've got Scurry in goal and Lilly in the mf...

12. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    :|

Frack...

13. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
    26 min- Abby draws foul near left corner flag, but Wagner's cross is cleared easily.

14. fuzzy

fuzzy New Member

Aug 27, 2006
    Whoa. Who's defending, and where were they?

Thanks for the details, folks :)

15. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
    Lilly is up top with O'reilly and Abby. Mid is Lloyd, Wagner and Osborne. Backs are Rampone, LePeilbet, Mitts and uh I think Whitehill.

Can't name China. :D No. 10 who scored is their lone forward, I think they are in a 4-5-1.

16. cloudedmind

cloudedmind BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 7, 2004
    Silver Spring, MD
    Whitehill scores. Ball bounced off China's keeper's hands.

17. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
    30 min, U.S. takes short corner, Wagner passes to Whitehill, who chips and inexplicably, the China goalie fumbles it into her own goal. Game tied! :p

18. fuzzy

fuzzy New Member

Aug 27, 2006
    Molte grazie :D

19. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
    33 min- Osborne stripped, and China takes long shot that Scurry saves by diving to her right.

20. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
    39 min-Liu gets yellow for harsh sliding tacking on Abby.

21. fuzzy

fuzzy New Member

Aug 27, 2006
    How is the 4-3-3 working in general? Anybody shining or struggling in their position? How are Abby and O'Reilly looking?

22. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
    41- U.S. corner dangerously driven, but Abby just misses ball by inches for what would have been a sure goal.

23. Labdarugo

Labdarugo Member

Dec 3, 2000
    Downwind
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JP and Julie -- two thumbs up.

24. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
    Halftime, tied 1-1. They just showed the first half highlights, I still can't believe the China keeper didn't catch that ball. :p

I think everyone played well in the first half. As Julie talked about, sometimes the forwards are coming back to defend (for example, when Abby drew the yellow card foul she was way back on the U.S. half of the field), which has made them less dangerous in attack.

Subs- Chalupny for LePeilbet and Tarp for O'reilly

25. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Start of the second half.

Chalupny in for LePeilbet, Tarpley in for O'Reilly.

Yellow card just issued, not sure for whom.