USA vs Canada Friendly 1/22/06

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by bilmalk7, Dec 17, 2005.

1. bilmalk7

bilmalk7 New Member

Nov 29, 2001
    Eastern Pennsylvania
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i gave them (US SOCCER) my feed back. btw; a bit of an informal survey of coaches in philly today at the nscaa convention found it mildly sad that in a WC year this game goes untelevised. five of five coaches, thats not a large sample but indicates the frustration.

2. bilmalk7

bilmalk7 New Member

Nov 29, 2001
    Eastern Pennsylvania
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeeeesh...thank god it was not PPV

3. joebloe888

joebloe888 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Aug 1, 2005
    Fuyutu Island
    There was a VERY good reason why US Soccer didn't want US vs Canada to be televised: the game was nothing more than a glorified scrimmage for the US against a bad team (Canada hasn't done anything internationally since the 2000 CONCACAF Gold Cup) at a tiny stadium.

The game was NOT really intended for mass consumption via television, though US Soccer did try to make a few bucks by selling overpriced tickets to the event.

The result was exactly what I expected: 0-0.

4. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Link?

5. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How'd that work out for ya?

How about that?

So a meaningless game against freaking Canada of all people wasn't broadcast. From what my friends who were there tell me, you should all be thankful because it was supposedly a horrid game.

But of course, you can televise qualifiers and friendlies and every game of the World Cup and yadda yadda yadda, but God forbid you miss televising a friendly against Canada on a Sunday evening in January because you might miss 10 minutes of Adu doing nothing except getting a yellow card.

Again: You don't have a God-given right to watch every US Nats game on readily-available television, just like you don't have a God-given right to watch every MLS game on the Direct Kick package at $.69 per or whatever it is. Soccer isn't profitable programming, by and large and you really will live if you don't see every meaningless minute of meaningless games just so you can argue about whether or not Heath Pearce is a legitimate candidate for the 2010 Cup we haven't qualified for yet.

The sense of entitlement and the scapegoating of anyone and anything who doesn't bend over a chair for you is just staggering sometimes.