Pre-match: USA vs Bosnia-Herzegovina; January 28th, 2018

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Sebsasour, Nov 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    kennytt and Winoman repped this.
  2. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who's pumped for a B team friendly against a Bosnian league all star team, with neither team having a World Cup to prepare for?

3. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be in Australia for the Open. I can't be bothered with this crap.

Deep Wilcox, mike4066 and adam tash repped this.
  4. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could see some of the Bosnian A team coming. Who doesn't like a free vacation to the states.

5. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Their clubs would have to approve that vacation, it's not a FIFA date

truefan420 repped this.
  6. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ll be honest, if we get a new coach, new president, and most importantly a new mission statement that mediocrity and complacency won’t be tolerated, I’ll be thrilled.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not happy we didn’t make the World Cup. But something was seriously wrong with this program that extended past soccer is more popular in other countries. In truth, we could and should be a contender. However, the USSF was too content that so long as we qualified, nothing needed to change. Hopefully we see a rebirth.... focused on us finding our potential.

7. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't remember it wasn't a FIFA date. Completely overlooked this being a camp cup cake match. Yea it will be a B team maybe a few youngerster that are with the A team but haven't completely broken into the 11. Those clubs may want their players involved as it raises the players profile and thus transfer fee.

8. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think we are scheduled to get a new permanent coach until after the European season ends.

2in10 repped this.
  9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Nice, get us another match though. Can't only have one match for a full roster of players.

10. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It likely won't happen until post presidential election

11. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully they'll get 3

FlipsLikeAPancake and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Yeah, I was going to say 4 or 5, I want this Camp Cupcake to almost be like a mini-test tournament for our players. Playing 50, 60 minutes isn't really a proper test, they need to play more.

FlipsLikeAPancake repped this.
  13. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was hoping the same but it's unlikely. That's why I went with 3. I hope
    They do something next summer during the World Cup not just the lead up to it.

TxEx and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  14. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    They should participate in a tournament for teams that didn't make the WC. Have it right after the European season ends, and it could end a few days before the WC begins.

15. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    I was thinking about this when Italy lost. Do the better sides that don't make it historically schedule matches during a World Cup Summer? The ones I checked for 2014 seemed to take the whole summer off, but do of course play a lot of friendlies right before the Cup.

Would be awesome to host those friendlies in a tournament setting in the U.S. I think it would be advantageous for us and might make some cash if done right.

Group A:
    USA
    Italy
    Wales
    Paraguay

Group B:
    Netherlands
    Chile
    Ireland/Denmark
    Ecuador

As for this Bosnia match? Why not? Of course we'll still be rudderless, but there's still no reason to just waste dates where we could otherwise bring talent together.

largegarlic repped this.
  16. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    of course. do you think teams will play martinique as a warm up? we should be very busy till the WC unless our kids start kicking ass. btw, cali in January? I'm in.

17. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I was thinking about something like as well. Some traditionally strong African teams are missing the WC too and could be good invites. I'd imagine a lot of these teams would be like us and want to get started figuring out their next generation.

18. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    With respect to the original post, I'm glad they're having a January camp (though it's hard to think of too many young MLS players I'm excited about seeing at the moment), and January camp friendlies are almost always crappy opponents and/or B/C teams. So, we just have to accept it as part of doing a camp at that time of year.

19. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course they were content. They were making off like bandits. As long as they continue to remain in charge, nothing is going to change on that front. If they remain in charge, there's an even higher probability of the MNT sitting out Qatar as well.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  20. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ll watch.
    I always watch.
    Even when I’d rather by gouging my eyes out with a grapefruit spoon, I’ll still watch.

monere, DHC1, bigredfutbol and 7 others repped this.
  21. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I'm not going to watch Bradley, Nagbe and Acosta.

Euros are stingy about letting their players go for Olympic quali's so we need a domestic squad ready. I"d combine u17 with u20's to get a putative Olympic squad into camp to practice against a putative Gold Cup squad which would consist of players who would be prime age in 2022.

So kind of Carleton, Weah (PSG might let him attend), Durkin, Lindsay, Glad, Lennon, Adams, Booth, Sands, Klinsmann, versus the Roldan, Delgado, Polster, Trapp, Ramirez, Agudelo, Hagglund, Bono, Dwyer, Rowe, Parker, Lima, Lletget, etc. types.

Don't know what Bosnians would be doing here that time of year. I like playing Canada. Arent Koreans in town looking for a game that time of year? They should be prepping for WC.

I'd take a trip to SoCal and pay to see the future of US Soccer but why do I get the feeling we will be fed a cock and bull story about needing veteran leadership and such drivel.

22. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #22 jond, Nov 14, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    I generally find cupcake to be a waste. Players come in out of shape, train for a few weeks and then produce thoroughly terrible and lifeless performances against whoever the opponents are to finish out camp.

So I'd make it a strictly U23 camp. You don't need to uncover 26 yr olds. When will the USSF learn. And if you're 26/27 and available for cupcake, meaning your prime isn't overseas, then I probably don't want you in Qatar as a complacent 31 yr old. This last cycle had far too many complacent players. So go young and with guys aiming to climb the club ladder. Ambitious. We need a new energy to the program.

So I'd start with the Carleton/Pomykal age bracket and extend it up to about Roldan/Manneh. Essentially top out with only guys who will be in their primes comes Qatar. And some think the NT doesn't showcase our players enough for Europe. If you think that then you have to showcase them while young. So throw out a bunch of 18-22 yr olds, the best MLS has to offer and tell every Euro scout to come watch.

Putting Nagbe out there will accomplish nothing.

23. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This game is on my birthday but of course I will no longer be living in SoCal anymore. However we better make the 2020 Olympics since I will be living in Japan during that time.

Pl@ymaker, Winoman and TheFalseNine repped this.
  24. sakibomb523

sakibomb523 Member+

Oct 13, 2009
    Orange County
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope its either an U-20/U-23 camp or the sendoff match for our useless veterans who failed us in T&T.

25. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    You know what? Late Junuary, very little on TV in the late afternoon. Its dark and cold, I cannot wait to go skiing that morning come home late in the afternoon, get some chili or soup in a bowl and sit back and watch the game. So 'me.' Count me in.

juveeer, Winoman and TheFalseNine repped this.